IGNORED

New Interview with David Crane, Dan Kitchen & Garry Kitchen

Gregory DG

I briefly touched on this subject in one of my conversations with them during the show.

The bottom line is that it’s not a one size fits all answer. Since the various programmers tend to use different techniques & limit themselves (or not) in different ways.

The recent 32K Mappy & Galaga games for example are indeed amazing games. But the 4K pac man from several years back is also an incredible game as well.

Personally, I’d be most interested in seeing a 64K or 128K DPC+ Pitfall 3, programmed by David Crane himself.

But I would be equally interested in seeing a 4K Donkey Kong; handled the same way as the 4K Pacman.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Supergun said:

Personally, I’d be most interested in seeing a 64K or 128K DPC+ Pitfall 3, programmed by David Crane himself.

This would be neat!  

Can’t speak for the developers, but as for what they may think of the current crop of homebrews, Mr. Crane does say that “...anything I could fit in the cartridge is fair game”, which leads me to believe that he himself would have eventually extended his DPC chip and there could have been an even better crop of looking/sounding games, BITD. 

Activision created some really cool and unique games for the 2600. It would have been nice to see how far they could have gone with DPC or their own DPC+ tech, had the market not tanked.

@Gregory DG Great interview?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supergun said:

he tried to crowdfund something but there were no takers.  but he was trying to raise a million dollars or something.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119478-Jungle-Adventure-Headed-to-Kickstarter-Disaster

47 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Activision created some really cool and unique games for the 2600. It would have been nice to see how far they could have gone with DPC or their own DPC+ tech, had the market not tanked.

yah, it is interesting to think about how things might have been!

• Like 1

Wow, I didn’t know about that past Kickstarter project. And I hadn’t really thought about it until now, but obviously at some point in the past, Activision was sold. And subsequently everything it was or had went along with it. David Crane (for me) IS and always WILL BE “Activision”. So it never occurred to me that even though he created these “ideas”, he lost control of them years ago.

I mean, nobody wants to play “Jungle Adventure 3” starring “explorer x”. We want to be Harry in Pitfall 3. Just like with “Gold Rush”. It should be Keystone Cannonball or Keystone Kapers 2. It’s a downer, for sure.

At least Dan is headed in the right direction with “Bon Voyage!”. It’s a cool original title and it has the exclamation point like Kaboom! and Oink! which is very reminiscent of how Activision would have named a game. Plus “TikiVision” also works well and having it on screen fits in with details we loved about their games.

• Like 1