IGNORED

Who currently owns the rights to the Aquarius Computer?

EdgeOfPortal

Interesting question, one I've looked into now and again over the years. 

First some legal background 

https://www.begbies-traynorgroup.com/articles/insolvency/the-consequences-of-intellectual-property-rights-when-a-company-becomes-insolvent

The issues will be were any rights sold on? 

I'd hazard a guess that patents have expired. As to copyright, depends on the software on question, did Mattel games retain their original copyright for example? What about licensed properties i.e Tron and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons for example. 

Most of the hardware in the Aquarius was off the shelf except from memory the PLA, character rom and basic. Maybe someone as a list of Any patents related to the Aquarius that can be checked? 

I'd really like to see an opensource 8bit basic to replace the Microsoft one on old micros. 

Is is historical research or are you looking at developing something commercial? 

49 minutes ago, barnieg said:

Interesting question, one I've looked into now and again over the years. 

First some legal background 

https://www.begbies-traynorgroup.com/articles/insolvency/the-consequences-of-intellectual-property-rights-when-a-company-becomes-insolvent

The issues will be were any rights sold on? 

I'd hazard a guess that patents have expired. As to copyright, depends on the software on question, did Mattel games retain their original copyright for example? What about licensed properties i.e Tron and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons for example. 

Most of the hardware in the Aquarius was off the shelf except from memory the PLA, character rom and basic. Maybe someone as a list of Any patents related to the Aquarius that can be checked? 

I'd really like to see an opensource 8bit basic to replace the Microsoft one on old micros. 

Is is historical research or are you looking at developing something commercial? 

It’s just historical research, I’m not developing anything commercial. I did find a company called Fobel International PLC that apparently owned 51% of Radofin after the liquidation, but I can’t find anything after that.

If there were any patents they would have expired.  With manufacturing there would have been stuff like moulds for the plastics, likely scrapped long ago.  Trademarks for an Aquarius computer is probably up for grabs.  I doubt there's any copyright on the character set but microsoft would still own their version of basic.

Mattel made software/games for several systems including the aquarius.  Except for some of the stuff developed in France I think it all got transferred to INTV in 1984 so it might belong to intellivision entertainment today.

Edited by mr_me

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Mattel made software/games for several systems including the aquarius.  Except for some of the stuff developed in France I think it all got transferred to INTV in 1984 so it might belong to intellivision entertainment today.

Aquarius software was all transferred to Radofin. Licensed games are subject to negotiation with the license holder, and even the ported Mattel games (like Utopia and Night Stalker) would be subject to licensing now.

• Like 1

Alright, so I’ve done some more research. Fobel International PLC changes their name to something like S. Leboff Solar (more to the name after) and documents are available that state that they dissolved on June 26 2018 in the UK, and their assets apparently belong to the Crown Estate. That’s a dead end. Now, Fobel International only owned 51% of Radofin, so what happened to the other 49%?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 2:17 PM, EdgeOfPortal said:

Alright, so I’ve done some more research. Fobel International PLC changes their name to something like S. Leboff Solar (more to the name after) and documents are available that state that they dissolved on June 26 2018 in the UK, and their assets apparently belong to the Crown Estate. That’s a dead end. Now, Fobel International only owned 51% of Radofin, so what happened to the other 49%?

I wonder if looking into addon electronics would help? They were jointly owned by radofin and datel from memory 

28 minutes ago, Intymike said:

Hm, has this by any chance something to do with the Add On company from the UK that released most of the tape games for the Aquarius? 

IMG_5193.jpeg

I believe that’s what he’s referring to, yes. I don’t think it’s clear who owns the rights for Aquarius so I’ve just been trying to look into it a bit more for historical research.

9 minutes ago, barnieg said:

Another radofin link, mentions a lichtenstein subsidiary http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/radofin_-_triton.html

That's quite interesting. Here's where I found my info about Fobel, etc. These came from various books on google and the UK Companies House.

90s Directory to European Manufacturers - Radofin.png

Fobel International PLC - 51% Radofin.png

Leboff (Radofin Stock Holder) Dissolution.png

Edited by EdgeOfPortal