IGNORED

Nameplate missing on my old 800 XL

tajvdz

Hello,

Instead of using an emulator I decided to use my old Atari 800 XL with some new possibilties to run games.

I had to search the attic but I found it. Everything is working but there is one little piece missing, the grey name plate that says Atari 800 XL.

I don't know where it is but maybe someone has an old 800 XL that isn't working anymore and is willing to help me out to put one back on it's place.

I attached a random picture of what I mean.

I hope someone can help me!

Twan

atari800xl.jpg

Congrats on using your original machine!! Not all of us have our originals. Off topic but what power supply are you using? Careful with the old ones, they can destroy the machine. If that happens don't throw it away, the case & keyboard are worth keeping/selling.  A good modern USB charger will power the 800XL well, with the correct cable.

Edited by Sugarland

1 hour ago, Sugarland said:

Congrats on using your original machine!! Not all of us have our originals. Off topic but what power supply are you using? Careful with the old ones, they can destroy the machine. If that happens don't throw it away, the case & keyboard are worth keeping/selling.  A good modern USB charger will power the 800XL well, with the correct cable.

I use the original power supply. What can go wrong? I notice no difference...

14 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

If it's the "ingot" style, when they fail they go very high over voltage and at a minimum destroy the RAM in the machine.  Worst case, they will destroy every IC in the system.

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If it's the "ingot" style, when they fail they go very high over voltage and at a minimum destroy the RAM in the machine.  Worst case, they will destroy every IC in the system.

How can I check the style?

It is a big black box with european power plug

3 hours ago, tajvdz said:

You won't notice a difference until things start to go wrong. I bought a new old stock 'silver label' PSU from B&C that overvolted my best 800XL. The silver labels are alleged to be reliable but never used ones may not be (capacitors like regular use). I did not use it long enough to fry the custom Atari chips but it did damage one timing chip. Replaced that chip to fix compatibility with the!cart (a multicart).  There may be more damage that I have not yet found, for example the smaller components.

A decent USB charger is readily available and making a custom cable is not hard. Before using it, test it to be sure the wiring is correct.

15 hours ago, Fred_M said:

I just ordered one of these and it should be here (NZ) in a few of days. I've heard they are quite thick and may need filing down so they can sit a bit more flush with the case, as per the original. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nama said:

I just ordered one of these and it should be here (NZ) in a few of days. I've heard they are quite thick and may need filing down so they can sit a bit more flush with the case, as per the original. 

These look a bit thicker indeed. I think the other one is better. Too bad that there are no images on that side. A lot of things don't ring a bell to me...Maybe they have some other interesting things...

By the way I'm happy with the response I get on my question in nearly a day. I'm new on this forum. I have a few other question that I will ask in new posts but this is encouraging. I also signed up for the forum at Atari Mania but so far no approval. That forum also seems a bit dead to me or not? Does anyone else have some nice tutorials / sources to get some info for my Atari 800 XL and what the possibilities are these days?

Edited by tajvdz

Check out the 'pinned' forum threads, theres some v.useful info there.

There are a number of modern devices to load software. Most common are SDriveMAX and Sdrive that connect to the Atari serial port and use SDcards for disk images (.atr) and executables (.xex). There are also several 'multi' cartridges: AVGcart, SIDE2, Ultimate cart, MyIDE2, UnoCart, The!cart - theyre all great items. Also, SIC!cart and XEGS ramcart but they may not be available any more. Also worth getting is an SIO2PC device which allows you to connect your Atari to a PC via USB cable which acts as multiple disk drives - the Atari is none the wiser and will just load from it as normal. Its a v.quick way of getting software from the internet to load on your Atari and theyre not expensive.

If you aren't already aware, its worth checking out Lotharek's website. He has a lot of interesting stuff for many vintage computers including a decent amount for the Atari 8bit machines.

?

10 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

Check out the 'pinned' forum threads, theres some v.useful info there.

There are a number of modern devices to load software. Most common are SDriveMAX and Sdrive that connect to the Atari serial port and use SDcards for disk images (.atr) and executables (.xex). There are also several 'multi' cartridges: AVGcart, SIDE2, Ultimate cart, MyIDE2, UnoCart, The!cart - theyre all great items. Also, SIC!cart and XEGS ramcart but they may not be available any more. Also worth getting is an SIO2PC device which allows you to connect your Atari to a PC via USB cable which acts as multiple disk drives - the Atari is none the wiser and will just load from it as normal. Its a v.quick way of getting software from the internet to load on your Atari and theyre not expensive.

If you aren't already aware, its worth checking out Lotharek's website. He has a lot of interesting stuff for many vintage computers including a decent amount for the Atari 8bit machines.

?

A frined of mine ordered the SDrive Max. I'm not sure what to do. I think a cartridge is better and faster or not?

• 1 month later...

I found a name plate on Ebay. I think it looks the same as this one:

https://www.mateoproceo.com/all-products/414-atari-800-xl-label-logo-sticker-badge-brushed-aluminum-287b-.html

However I'm not that happy with the result. I think the plate is too thick and doest fit very well.

Best Electronics sells an original indeed but the $ 20 minimum and shipping costs are insane if you ask me. Such purt can easily be put in an envellope...

81660756_2445839619078679_2571496666435682304_n.jpg

Yes that is the bad thing about those.  Some have sanded the label down to make it thinner to make it fit better.  That would be a little tricky to do, I wanted to try it on mine.  I have a 600XL, but haven't gotten around to trying it.  I don't want to install it with it sticking out.  In the mean time I had someone print me a label that looks close.

2 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Yes that is the bad thing about those.  Some have sanded the label down to make it thinner to make it fit better.  That would be a little tricky to do, I wanted to try it on mine.  I have a 600XL, but haven't gotten around to trying it.  I don't want to install it with it sticking out.  In the mean time I had someone print me a label that looks close.

Yes I thought about that as well. The top case is thick enough to do so. I didn't stick the label to the case yet. i can still take it off. But maybe I will find and original after all. I sent Best ELectronics an email that such a label can be send as a letter very well. Maybe thay will do that but I'll doubt it. Or maybe someone has an old 800 XL case that isn't working anymore and is willing to take the plate off?

You could make a pretty good one using a strip of anodised aluminium and employing the 'toner transfer' method. Basically: print mirror of design on photo paper using laser printer, then iron it into the metal and wash away the paper with water. You could then lacquer it. Takes some practice and trial and error, but it works.

• Like 1