IGNORED

Nameplate missing on my old 800 XL

tajvdz

56 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

You could make a pretty good one using a strip of anodised aluminium and employing the 'toner transfer' method. Basically: print mirror of design on photo paper using laser printer, then iron it into the metal and wash away the paper with water. You could then lacquer it. Takes some practice and trial and error, but it works.

ok, but I'm not that good with this. And take a lot of practice for just one thing..I think I'd rather pay for one then...

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

You could make a pretty good one using a strip of anodised aluminium and employing the 'toner transfer' method. Basically: print mirror of design on photo paper using laser printer, then iron it into the metal and wash away the paper with water. You could then lacquer it. Takes some practice and trial and error, but it works.

I might have to do this for another project. Thanks for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...

anyone have any experience with thuis website?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/addendum.htm

I sent them an email a few weeks ago. They answered once but after that not anymore. 

They say they have the nameplate but they have a minimum order amount and very expensive shipping.

In my oppinion they can put the nameplate in an envellope and send it as a normal letter. Why ask such rediculous prices and force people to order a certain amount? And after that the ignorance of not answering anymore. Very bad attitude if you ask me. If you are selling stuff you are also there to help other people out!

Edited by tajvdz

2 hours ago, tajvdz said:

anyone have any experience with thuis website?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/addendum.htm

I sent them an email a few weeks ago. They answered once but after that not anymore. 

They say they have the nameplate but they have a minimum order amount and very expensive shipping.

In my oppinion they can put the nameplate in an envellope and send it as a normal letter. Why ask such rediculous prices and force people to order a certain amount? And after that the ignorance of not answering anymore. Very bad attitude if you ask me. If you are selling stuff you are also there to help other people out!

Just search this forum for people's experiences dealing with Brad from Best.

I have bought £100's from him over the years, but he has his way of doing things.

His way or the highway.

Maybe a Stateside AtariAger could add one or two to a larger order and post you one?

2 hours ago, mimo said:

Just search this forum for people's experiences dealing with Brad from Best.

I have bought £100's from him over the years, but he has his way of doing things.

His way or the highway.

Maybe a Stateside AtariAger could add one or two to a larger order and post you one?

yes that could be a possibility. At the moment I don't need more. I understand for large goods that it is expensive for shipping. But this small piece, come on put it in an envellope!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tajvdz said:

Can someone tell me how I can order from this website?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

When i send an email I don't get a reply..

I think the website is not that easy to use. Are there pictures available for all products? I can only find some text about the name plate. And I see it costs $ 10 instead of $ 5 now...

did you write Atari in the subject field of your email? he won't reply unless you do that.
Also, he has a minimum order value, I think $20? 
And a maximum number of items per order, 

and he won't reply if he is wearing blue  underwear, or if his cereal was not golden grahams ................

• Haha 1

Yes I wrote Atari in the subject. Yes he has a minimum of $ 20. In that way it helped that the praise was raised from $ 5 to $ 10.. lol

I understand that you are a bit sarcastic towards him. I can understand why.

But the whole website is a bit messy. It was made ages ago but these days you can make much better websites.

I asked for a picture of the name plate. If it is actually the same as the original I will go for it...

24 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

Yes I wrote Atari in the subject. Yes he has a minimum of $ 20. In that way it helped that the praise was raised from $ 5 to $ 10.. lol

I understand that you are a bit sarcastic towards him. I can understand why.

But the whole website is a bit messy. It was made ages ago but these days you can make much better websites.

I asked for a picture of the name plate. If it is actually the same as the original I will go for it...

I can guarantee you two things

1- he won't send you a photo

2- It will be a 100% genuine atari part 

Yes, unless it is mentioned in the description, Brad only deals in original parts. Not remade stuff. I actually bought a real, NOS, official Atari 4160STE upgrade badge from him just a couple of months ago for half the price I would've paid for an aluminum remade badge from Europe.

Brad can be quirky and you need to plan your order out well and adhere to all of his rules but, if you do, you won't find better quality goods or get better shipping from anyone. You just need to understand how Brad is going in, realize that you're dealing with an ever increasingly eccentric older gentlemen and not ordering from Amazon, and deal with him accordingly. I think, but don't know, that a lot of people go in expecting to get Amazon service, and voice their opinions when they don't feel they're getting it, and that ends their relationship with Brad before it can even begin. As quirky as some may feel he is, I've had three wonderful orders from him over the past couple of years and he's been nothing but friendly with me and my orders have all went well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Yes, unless it is mentioned in the description, Brad only deals in original parts. Not remade stuff. I actually bought a real, NOS, official Atari 4160STE upgrade badge from him just a couple of months ago for half the price I would've paid for an aluminum remade badge from Europe.

Brad can be quirky and you need to plan your order out well and adhere to all of his rules but, if you do, you won't find better quality goods or get better shipping from anyone. You just need to understand how Brad is going in, realize that you're dealing with an ever increasingly eccentric older gentlemen and not ordering from Amazon, and deal with him accordingly. I think, but don't know, that a lot of people go in expecting to get Amazon service, and voice their opinions when they don't feel they're getting it, and that ends their relationship with Brad before it can even begin. As quirky as some may feel he is, I've had three wonderful orders from him over the past couple of years and he's been nothing but friendly with me and my orders have all went well.

well I don't give up on anyone if I want something, but I have the feeling Brad is ignoring me because I may have asked something he won't do. If I ask a question he can answer and not ignore me if he doesn't agree. But like I said I will try to get what I want. I ordered a remade badge (I showed pictures in this post before) and that isn not what I want...

On Brad's Best site, addendum, he has listed Atari 800XL Top Case Label CO24577 $9.95. That is an original case badge, not a remade badge. Of course, it is only $9.95, and he has a minimum $20 dollar order, so you'd need to order something else to cushion your order to get over the $20 minimum. If your question pertains to ordering just that or somehow getting around the $20 minimum, then he probably won't answer, because he won't do that.

Keeping trying won't get you anywhere but maybe the black list in which he'll never deal with you, so hopefully that isn't what you're doing or asking.

I wish you luck getting what you want.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

On Brad's Best site, addendum, he has listed Atari 800XL Top Case Label CO24577 $9.95. That is an original case badge, not a remade badge. Of course, it is only $9.95, and he has a minimum $20 dollar order, so you'd need to order something else to cushion your order to get over the $20 minimum. If your question pertains to ordering just that or somehow getting around the $20 minimum, then he probably won't answer, because he won't do that.

Keeping trying won't get you anywhere but maybe the black list in which he'll never deal with you, so hopefully that isn't what you're doing or asking.

I wish you luck getting what you want.

very strange way of doing bussiness if you ask me...

25 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

I think you are struggling to realize Brad is aware of the fact that, for many things, he's the only game in town.  Therefore, he has the luxury of doing business any way he wants.  

I would advise you to be as polite and accommodating as possible if really want your parts. Otherwise, Brad's blacklist is a real thing.

39 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

I agree with you 100%.

What you have to realize is that Brad is financially set, at least from what I have heard. He has always ran Best as more of a labor of love for all things Atari, not because he needs the money. When you look at it that way, you quickly come to realize that, while many of us need him, or at least want the things he has, he doesn't necessarily need us. He can take or leave our business at any time and it does him no damage whatsoever. It does, however, sometimes keep us, or you, from getting what you want.

As strange as it seems to us, it is what it is, and we must deal with it, because no one is going to be successful in reasoning with him or changing him. You don't have to understand or agree. You just have to deal with it, and him, or go elsewhere for your goods. It's as simple as that.

• Like 3

well I want to do it by his rules. I first asked him to put the small part in an envellope but he didn't respond. If I tell him later that I want to order for $ 20 I think it is very strange to not get an answer. 

Isn't there a way yo place an order on the site? Do you have to email him for that?

36 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

well I want to do it by his rules. I first asked him to put the small part in an envellope but he didn't respond. If I tell him later that I want to order for $ 20 I think it is very strange to not get an answer. 

Isn't there a way yo place an order on the site? Do you have to email him for that?

No, as you can see from the site, it looks like something from about 1995. I'm sure it is something he's done himself, or with a minimum of help. Like I mentioned in another post about him, Amazon he ain't. You can email him, but I've found that it is best to call him. I look his site over for part numbers and prices. I then double-check his addendum, to make certain the parts I want are still available, then I call him at the number listed and order over the phone. If I need to ask questions about something that isn't clear or that I can't answer on my own from his site, I'll email him, but it can take several days to get a response. Once I have everything I need and I'm ready, I call, place the order, and I usually have my order delivered within two or three days.

Also, when emailing to ask questions, I'd avoid the "Do you have this..." type questions. As primitive as his site may be by today's standards, he has pretty much everything he sells listed on there. Between the main pages and the addendum, if it ain't there, he ain't got it. If you have trouble finding something you're interested in, I also have his catalog, and I'm used to poring through his site to find what I need. I'd be glad to help you find something if I can.

I know it seems like asking a few simple questions wouldn't hurt, but remember, he's crotchety old guy that seems like he was probably never a real people person to begin with and he's gotten worse with age. As far as his ever-changing rules go; minimum order, maximum quantity, maximum number of orders, etc., again, you'll likely not know what today's rules are until you try and order. You're best to keep to a minimum of $20 order and a small handful of items, best four or less.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

No, as you can see from the site, it looks like something from about 1995. I'm sure it is something he's done himself, or with a minimum of help. Like I mentioned in another post about him, Amazon he ain't. You can email him, but I've found that it is best to call him. I look his site over for part numbers and prices. I then double-check his addendum, to make certain the parts I want are still available, then I call him at the number listed and order over the phone. If I need to ask questions about something that isn't clear or that I can't answer on my own from his site, I'll email him, but it can take several days to get a response. Once I have everything I need and I'm ready, I call, place the order, and I usually have my order delivered within two or three days.

Also, when emailing to ask questions, I'd avoid the "Do you have this..." type questions. As primitive as his site may be by today's standards, he has pretty much everything he sells listed on there. Between the main pages and the addendum, if it ain't there, he ain't got it. If you have trouble finding something you're interested in, I also have his catalog, and I'm used to poring through his site to find what I need. I'd be glad to help you find something if I can.

I know it seems like asking a few simple questions wouldn't hurt, but remember, he's crotchety old guy that seems like he was probably never a real people person to begin with and he's gotten worse with age. As far as his ever-changing rules go; minimum order, maximum quantity, maximum number of orders, etc., again, you'll likely not know what today's rules are until you try and order. You're best to keep to a minimum of $20 order and a small handful of items, best four or less.

Good luck.

well I told him in an email that I'm interested in the name plate and a video cable that costs $ 15. So $ 25 together. I don't live in the USA so calling is a bit of an obstacle for me...

18 minutes ago, tajvdz said:

well I told him in an email that I'm interested in the name plate and a video cable that costs $ 15. So $ 25 together. I don't live in the USA so calling is a bit of an obstacle for me...

Ahh, I see. Well, you've met the minimum order, and you're not over the maximum item limit, assuming neither of those have changed recently, so either he doesn't want to mess with the hassle of overseas shipping, or he just hasn't gotten back with you yet. It's often taken him three or four days to get back with me. I know it's frustrating in this day of instant communications, but it is what it is. I'd give him five days to a week. If you haven't heard from him by then, I'd email him again.

• 3 weeks later...