• Super Mario Sunshine
    • Timesplitters 2
    • Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II
    • Mario Kart: Double Dash
    • Super Smash Bros.
    • Other...
    • They're all bad!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I can't do a full list- my Gamecube collection's always been on the sparse side- even today I've only got about 20 games for it. The one I spent the most time with, though, is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. I was in the rare position of actually having enough interested friends with GBAs & link cables to play through the whole thing with 4 people. It's one of my fondest gaming memories.

Of what's on that list, I picked Smash Bros Melee. I recently busted out my backwards-compatible Wii and put some time in with it, and it's great. Rogue Squadron II is a lot of fun, as well. The best Star Wars games of the console's era are on the Gamecube, just like the best Star Wars games of the previous generation were on N64. 

There's a lot (IMO) missing from this list, though. Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, Animal Crossing, Viewtiful Joe, LoZ Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Ikaruga (also on Dreamcast), Luigi's Mansion, and the Pikmin series are all excellent. The GameCube had some of my favorite games of the early 2000s, and the Game Boy Player added a ton of value, though I don't have one.

While I don't actually own a  GameCube (I traded it in when I got my Wii) I'm thinking of getting one with a Carby just for the very best video option.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:38 PM, deepthaw said:

Is it the best? No. But Eternal Darkness deserves a place in the top tier.

Here, here! No. 2 on my list, despite having some big technical flaws. I just love the atmosphere of the game and wish Silicon Knights hadn't been such a crap-shoot and had to close their doors. 

On 12/4/2019 at 10:57 AM, derFunkenstein said:

The best Star Wars games of the console's era are on the Gamecube, just like the best Star Wars games of the previous generation were on N64...  I'm thinking of getting one with a Carby just for the very best video option.

A bold claim, but I agree with you. The three SW games of that gen I wish the 'cube had received were both on Xbox and one was a PC port. Republic Commando and the Old Republic games - gems all. Rogue Squadron was definitely superior to the Starfighter games, but I do wish we had gotten the pod racing titles that the PS2 got - since Ep. I Racer made its console debut on the N64, after all.

54 minutes ago, StuOhQ said:

.....I do wish we had gotten the pod racing titles that the PS2 got - since Ep. I Racer made its console debut on the N64, after all.

An updated N64 version on the GC would have been awesome! I thought the PS2 game was terrible. I was really disappointed with that one.

Picking one game is kind of a disaster, and also your list leaves off some pretty notable franchise titles if not franchises on the whole (like Zelda.)  I appreciate the poll but this could have been thought out a bit better.

If I had to pick one Zelda the Wind Waker, and I'm not even 100% sure that is the right answer.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Picking one game is kind of a disaster, and also your list leaves off some pretty notable franchise titles if not franchises on the whole (like Zelda.)  I appreciate the poll but this could have been thought out a bit better.

If I had to pick one Zelda the Wind Waker, and I'm not even 100% sure that is the right answer.

It's difficult to do indeed. That's why I did a top 12 myself. Picking one is way too hard! I also chose "Wind Waker" over "Twilight Princess" or "Four Swords".

15 hours ago, StuOhQ said:

It's difficult to do indeed. That's why I did a top 12 myself. Picking one is way too hard! I also chose "Wind Waker" over "Twilight Princess" or "Four Swords".

So much so, and I was the same thought on it.  Wind Waker to me was the epitome of finally getting 2D zelda right in a 3D space, because the cartoon style and look was so smooth, lush, looks and flows so cleanly that even with age it didn't look bad or feel the need to be improved, even the HD remaster with a bit more detail here and there was pure visual unnecessary fluff as the GC game has aged like fine wine, and using the HDMI adapter for the cube now, it still looks stunning against the WiiU title.  The others they show cracks, they have short comings, sure WW isn't perfect as it has that one truly grating moment in the end game of going triforce fishing, but on the whole it's phenomenal.

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So much so, and I was the same thought on it.  Wind Waker to me was the epitome of finally getting 2D zelda right in a 3D space, because the cartoon style and look was so smooth, lush, looks and flows so cleanly that even with age it didn't look bad or feel the need to be improved, even the HD remaster with a bit more detail here and there was pure visual unnecessary fluff as the GC game has aged like fine wine, and using the HDMI adapter for the cube now, it still looks stunning against the WiiU title.  The others they show cracks, they have short comings, sure WW isn't perfect as it has that one truly grating moment in the end game of going triforce fishing, but on the whole it's phenomenal.

Definitely! Nintendo has since apologized for the Tri-Force fetch quest, and that tells you something!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...