IGNORED

BackBit cartridge for the C64/128 (fwd)

RobertB

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that the Ultimate+ II is a cycle exact emulator of the disk drive.  That means, in theory, it's going to be a lot more compatible with software, though it's likely a lot slower when it loads disk images (though, all of this is just guesswork based upon a YouTube video I just skipped through).  I'm sure none of these solutions are perfect, and I can only provide a review of the one that I actually used.

As to my experience, I found that a lot of smaller games ran without issue.  I created my own collection of about 400 games in a very short time while waiting for the product to arrive, and about 90% of them worked flawlessly.  I was then lead to another collection created by someone else that had over 1,000 more games that I hadn't even started looking at yet, working and ready to go.

For other games, I just used some trial and error and sometimes I got lucky.  I got both "Death Knights of Krynn" and "Phantasie III" working with very little work by changing what file the disk image boots with (because they were cracked and the crack intros were causing the issue, but the program itself was running fine without them so I just bypassed them by using a tool in Windows to change the disk image itself).

Sometimes it's just a matter of seeking out different versions of the game.  Take "Defender of the Crown."  I wanted a working copy of that game, but the two disk images I had weren't working at all.  So, I went looking for other versions and found one that works as expected. 

There are some multidisk games running on D81 and CRT files that work great.  Any of the EPYX games series (Summer Games, Summer Games II, Winter Games, California Games, etc), for example.

In other cases, the game might work fine, but it's just a matter of getting multiple disks combined.  BackBit has it's own file type for this called BBT, which can hold up to 4GB of information...and up to 8 separate disk images.  You can also try to turn them into D81 files yourself or seek out other versions.

To be fair, some games just flat out don't work.  Doesn't mean they won't work at some point in the future, but that's just the reality of the situation.  For example, "The Arcade Game Construction Set" won't load due to it's copy protection, which requires actual disk drive emulation to bypass in true emulation mode (which is why I can get it working on WinVice, for example).  So, you have to adjust your expectations on some things. 

The nice thing about the cartridge, though, is that it doesn't take your disk drive port, so you can still run games from a real drive or even copy disk images to real floppy disks and run them from the disk drive.  And then, just load up a Fast Load or Final Cartridge III image into the BackBit and use it for that.  Lots of options.  It's not perfect, but it does quite a bit for the price.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the C64, C128 (in 40-column mode), and VIC-20, the BackBit cartridge is still for sale at

https://www.backbit.io/

See Evie's introduction to the BackBit at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLik3CBZlL5eW3O-LaLSmVX5k3eL0nKWet&v=G3t2_iloGVQ&feature=emb_logo

and how to use the BackBit at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YKruh_DiEY&list=PLik3CBZlL5eW3O-LaLSmVX5k3eL0nKWet&index=2

The big selling point of the cartridge is its compatibility with various disk, tape, and cartridge images, like D64, D81, CRT, PRG, P00, .20, .40, .60, .a0, and more.  Just drop the image(s) onto a microSD card and pop the card into the BackBit.  You see the file(s) on a menu, you select the one you want, and it loads and runs.  No Commodore calisthenics to get the computer to recognize the image type.

As mentioned above, the BackBit cartridge works with the VIC-20 with a special adapter that fits the BackBit into the adapter.  Evie has a video that explains it at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Une9mquKL0w&list=PLik3CBZlL5eW3O-LaLSmVX5k3eL0nKWet&index=7

Writing from Sydney, Australia, at the moment,
          Robert Bernardo
          Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
          April 25-26 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show -
          http://www.portcommodore.com/class

P.S. Evie Salomon is tentatively scheduled to appear at the April 25-26 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show.

Edited by RobertB

• 7 months later...

I figured I should bump this thread as I just got one of these carts. In all honesty after using various devices from the SD2IEC all the way up to the C64 Ultimate, this cartridge is in my personal opinion better than all of them. It strikes a fine balance between having the options that you really need (ripping to and from real floppies, integrated deadtest cart, SID player, etc) and being simple enough without an overload of settings and being confusing. It is just simple yet powerful. I have been playing with it for days and it really makes the computer even more of a joy to use. The firmware updates (this is updated VERY often) are super easy and fast to perform and Evie is ultra responsive when contacting for support. She is even implimenting a request I had for an option to the firmware to allow games to default launch in C64 mode on a C128 without any keyboard intervention.

I can't recommend this cartridge enough. I may have to purchase a spare!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've bought a bunch of her products, that are great and she is great at supporting her devices.
She has a few ad ons in the works for the backbit.

She is also very open to suggestions, I asked about adding vic20 cartridge dumping support for chip tester.  She added support and produced an adapter!

highly recommend her products!

• Like 2