IGNORED

Finally found an asterisk

Found one of the rare asterisk serial numbers on ebay.  It ended without bids.  So I sent a message and cut a good deal few minutes ago.  It will be here soon.

A few light scratches and controller door is missing.  But no big deal if it works.  But it was listed as untested.

It is hard to see in his photos.  I will know more when it comes.  But left side there are 2 holes.  My other 4 port has only 1 hole for channel switch.  And my 2 port has 2 holes 1 for channel switch and one for power.  But this four port has 2 holes just like my 2 port.  So maybe its power also.  But not sure if its factory or self done. But it was just listed as untested and no mention of any mods.  Probably did not know so might be factory.  

But still do not want to fry it.  How to make sure its all good before I plug it in?  And which power to use?  The one that came with my 2 port or 4 port.

• Like 1

Either adapter should be fine. The unit is rated at 9V DC, center negative. Both adapters are compatible with either 5200 model. No (functional) modification would change the polarity of the plug, or the voltage requirement of the console.

The unit in these pictures certainly seems to have four populated ports. Post pics of the internals when it arrives.

2 minutes ago, atari-dna said:

Probably ad-hoc pieces from late in the production (This is a Taiwan unit) so it’s probably just jumbled parts leftover in inventory near the end-run

Probably but still more rare than a normal 2 or 4 port?  Or if its dead then its not worth anything even with the asterisk being rare?

Asterisk are rare because they are the the only 4 port that work with the VCS 2600 adapter.  At least factory and not self modified.  Best of both worlds.  Plays all 4 port games and works with the VCS adapter.  Only 2 ports work with VCS adapter normally.  And 2 ports missing k-razy shootout, mountain king, and pitfall 1.  Those do not work on most 2 port.  So a 4 port with all games and vcs support not bad.  And if it turns out to be power in the back and I ditch the bulky sparking switch box then even better.as long as the case is not chipped or cracked its all good.  I can just use the controller door from my other 4 port unit.

Asterisk are rare because they are the the only 4 port that work with the VCS 2600 adapter. 

Not true. Revised 4-port PCBs which isolate the cartridge ground and include the blocking diode are quite common and they aren’t stamped with an asterisk on the serial sticker. I have several in my collection.

The redesigned 4-port board is quite commonplace. The “asterisk” isn’t a reliable indicator to ensure [4 port] compatibility with the CX-55. You have to get under the hood, to be sure.

Note: All 2-ports are compatible, straight up as the changes migrated to the 2-port design.

At the very least if this has a power port in the back then I can ditch the switchbox.  And my current switchbox is a little finiky.  If I wiggle the rf cord it turns offmy 5200.  And no guarantee how long it will last.  Or no guarantee the other boxes I have are fixable.  Will know more in few days.

And in another old thread it was estimated 6000-12000 asterisks were produced.  Not super rare but compared to the rest of the 5200s produced probably a small number.

And all 2 port work with the VCS adapter.  Except one old thread here (cant find it) somebody said he had a 2 port that did not work with his VCS adapter.  So not all 2 port I guess.

But I have never heard of a board redesign on 4 ports.  Mine did not work with the VCS adapter.  So its not the new board I guess.

Plus how common can it be.  There are no flea markets or vintage stores in chicago suburbs with used 5200s.  And on ebay nothing not for parts that is in good condition with controller door not missing for under 50 dollars.

And the other 2 port and VCS adapter I got untested was a gamble also.  But at least it powered on.  So there was hope. 

When it all arrived to my surprise it all worked.  So not bad.  And the 2 port came with ac adapter.  That alone is about 20 dollars on ebay.  So like 12 dollars and 51 cents for a working 2 port not bad. 

And the VCS adapter was 19 dollars and 99 cents plus 7 dollars and 55 cents for shipping.  Not bad for a used VCS adapter.  Not I can sell my sears tele 6.  And I adjusted the color pot wheel inside so it looks pretty close to a real 2600. 

And some on ebay are broken or have broken switches on the VCS adapter.  So no box but still a mint VCS adapter not bad for 20. 

And shipping was 7.55.  But it was from the same seller I realized.  So with out even asking when I woke up one day it said refunded.  I thought he was refunding the adapter.  I really wanted it. 

But then I realized it is from the same seller so he just combined shipping (all in the same box it arrived nicely packaged).  And he gave me 6 dollars and 43 cents back. 

So only 1 dollar and 12 cents plus 19.99.  So 21 dollars and 11 cents for a used VCS adapter not bad.  Mint condition and no bad switches.  So good deals.

Edited by 0078265317

I checked the adapter that came with my first 4 port and it was 9.3v  And the one that came with my 2 port was port was 11.5v.  I thought I read somewhere that it was the other way around.  2 ports came with 9.3v. And 4 ports came with 11.5v.  But good to know it works the other way also.

Yes, they are inter-changeable. It makes no difference.