IGNORED

PLATO Term Program

9640News

That particular terminal is the PLATO Programmable Terminal (PPT), which was made by Carroll from 1977 until 1983. It had an 8080 CPU in it, and could run code locally (Micro-TUTOR). The Control Data answer to that terminal was their Intelligent Systems Terminal (IST), of which they made three revisions. Lastly, the IST's were replaced by the Viking-721. All of CDC's terminals could have a disk controller attached for use either with PLATO, or to boot other operating systems (like CP/M)

-Thom

• Like 2

Just now, Airshack said:

So basically a Gen-1 PC? I believe I read the Control Data ISTs predated TRS-80/Apple2/Pet?

correct on both counts. But because they were built by a big iron company, they were horrendously expensive. both PPTs and IST's were approximately $5000 each.

The IST terminals were notable not only for their microcomputer base, but also that they literally had SQUARE CRTs. yes. square. 1:1 aspect ratio. Yes, those do exist and were a thing.

pist2001.jpg

It's much more noticeable head on, but the head-on shot I once had, has disappeared.

-Thom