IGNORED

You're only allowed 10 games... what are they?

MantaNZ

As the title says, you're only allowed 10 games. They can be on any system. What are they?

Hard to get it down to 10 but I think I'd go:

The Need For Speed (3DO)

Tempest 4000

Grand Theft Auto V

Super Mario Kart

Street Fighter 2 SCE

Metal Gear Solid

Kurushi

Outrun 2006

Super Mario 64

Phantasy Star

What are yours?

Civilization Revolution (Xbox 360)

Sim City (SNES)

Sim City 2000 (SNES)
Theme Park (3DO or PS1) [Don't remember which version was better.]

RollerCoaster Tycoon (Xbox)

Acclaim Othello (NES)

Tengen Ms. Pac-Man (NES) [Has many options, including Pac Booster.]

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (Atari 2600)

Star Control II (3DO)

No Man's Sky (PS4) [I haven't played it yet, but there are more planets to visit than you have days left in your life.]

"The most impressive simulation of an entire universe has now been created by a small team of 15 indie developers. The game "No Man's Sky" is probably the most complex and the largest game world ever created and it fits on a single DVD. Every player starts exploring on a randomly chosen planet in the games' universe. The player's starting coordinates are the variable that is put into the games' sophisticated, but still simple formulas. The result creates the whole visible game world in real time. It would be impossible to store all of the details using traditional methods. You would need entire data centers to store the data of the roughly 18 QUINTILLION true-to-scale planets, together with their unique ecosystems. It doesn't matter if it is a whole planet, a space ship, a tree, a rock or a single blade of grass--every detail is the fractal result of a mathematical formula. So, one of the most realistic and complex simulations of our cosmos emerges from nothing but mere mathematics!"

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 5

jesus, i must be old.  I've only played a couple of those, maybe a few seconds of mario kart, but that's it...most of the previous listed i've never seen.

(except for Random's post, the only person that would put E.T. on this list, hats off to you!!)

i'll take:

M.U.L.E. - (c64 for infinite replay, A800 for multiplayer)

Tempest (original arcade version)

Carmageddon + Splat pak

GTA 2 (pc version)

Frostbite

Magic the Gathering (1997 pc version)

Druglord (old pc public domain text only!)

Pac-Man (arcade ofc!)

and I'll trade my last two picks for one actual Black Knight pinball game.

• Like 3

I doubt I'd be consistent ever with a 10 game list but...

- Sim City (classic)

- Civilization

- Super Mario Bros 3

- Zelda Breath of the Wild (though I had written Link to the Past first I'm torn...)

- Wing Commander 2

- TIE Fighter

- (Ultimate) DOOM

- Tetris (Gameboy style)

- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

- Street Fighter II

I'm considering these both on variety, but also the length of their usefulness for fun w/out getting bored and how fun they still are on existing replays over time.  A good reason I left out RPGs, they'd get stale as re-runs quick, as would your standard point racking arcade titles too.

• Like 2

X-wing Vs Tie Fighter

Discs of Tron

Star Wars Battlefront EA [shudder] (back when you could actually play it online and during the 5 minutes there were no cheaters.)

Donkey Kong

Trine

Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (When there were players online not bitching about infiltrators and stuff)

Wizard of Wor

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe

King of Fighters (2002?)

Super Space Invaders '91

*I wanna say Outlaws, but it's too dated now. Wish somebody would release that the same but on a modern engine.

• Like 2

My gosh, that's almost forty years of gaming for me to consider.  In no particular order:

Lode Runner (C64)

Starcraft (PC)

Street Fighter Alpha (Arcade)

Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)

Borderlands 2 (any platform) -- I would've picked 3 but I'd like to see some of the annoying bugs squashed first.

Diablo 3 (any platform)

Dig Dug (Arcade)

Super Mario World (SNES)

Dragon Quest XI S (Switch)

Forza Motorsport 5 or greater (XBox One)

• Like 2

Witcher 3 (has tons of content)

Dark Souls 3 (I would take all of them if I could)

Bloodborne

Don't Starve

Dreams (PS4) - I can make my own games in it :)

Planet Coaster

OpenTTD (improved version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe)

M.U.L.E.

Lords of Conquest (Atari 8bit)

No Man's Sky - keeps pulling me back in with updates

• Like 4

In no particular order...

DOOM (PC)

Rocket League (PC)

Guardian Legend (NES)

Shadowgate (NES)

Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U)

The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

Legend of Mana (Playstation)

Pretty much going with my "all-time favorite games" list, but some considerations made for replayability

Phantasy Star Online (NGC)

Morrowind (PC)

Civilization (PC) - I'd probably be smarter to pick Civ 2 or 3, but I haven't put enough time into those.

Pac Man Collection (7800)*

AD&D: Cloudy Mountain (Inty)

Metropolis Street Racer (DC)

Defender (Arcade)

Super Street Fighter 3 Alpha (PS1? Saturn? DC? - any is fine)

Frenzy (arcade)

Neverwinter Nights 2 (PC) - I've never actually played this, but was always intrigued. Seems like an extensive, modern version of Stuart Smith's Adventure Construction Set which I'd also be tempted to add.

* I'm counting this, but it's kind of outside the spirit of the question - in which case I'd replace with Ms. Pac Man (Arcade)

Edited by BydoEmpire

Qix (Arcade)

Cooking Mama (DS)

Berzerk (any system)

One of the Grand Theft Auto games

Street fighter II' Champion Edition (Arcade)

Mario Bros. (NES)

Gradius (NES)

Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle (Atari 2600)

Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

Tetris 99 (Switch)

Edited by Magmavision2000

Sorcer Striker (arcade)

Soldier Blade (PC Engine/TG-16)
Gun-Nac (NES)

Super Aleste/Space Megaforce (SFC/SNES)

Super Mario All-stars + Super Mario World (kinda cheating but eh) if comps aren't allowed, just regular Super Mario World then (SNES).

Kirby's Adventure (NES) I have fond memories playing this in the 90s and it's still my favorite Kirby game.

The Ultimate Doom/Doom (PC DOS)

Doom II (PC DOS)

Duke Nukem 3D (PC DOS)

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC)

I was reading an early 90s Computer Gaming World and it had a preview of Empire Deluxe... I forgot how much I loved the original.  I definitely should have added that or Empire 2 to my list.  Endless strategic war-gaming.  If I only get 10 games forever more, they need depth and replayability.  As much as I love Frenzy, I have to swap for Empire.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

In no particular order....

Borderlands 3 (I'd pick 2 but I've played through that game multiple times on multiple platforms already)

Oblivion

Skyrim

Dead Island

Fallout 4

Bioshock

Burnout Paradise

Witcher 3

Final Fantasy (Any of the newer one, I actually haven't played a FF game through since X!!)

Cyberpunk (yeah it's not out yet, but I want it!!!)

• Like 3

In no particular order....

Borderlands 3 (I'd pick 2 but I've played through that game multiple times on multiple platforms already)
Oblivion
Skyrim
Dead Island
Fallout 4
Bioshock
Burnout Paradise
Witcher 3
Final Fantasy (Any of the newer one, I actually haven't played a FF game through since X!!)
Cyberpunk (yeah it's not out yet, but I want it!!!)

I’ve heard good things about Borderlands 2 and Skyrim. I have never played either of them. Maybe I need to pick them up on the PS3 while they are cheap. I have a few weeks of PTO stacked up. I’ll add these to the list.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

I’ve heard good things about Borderlands 2 and Skyrim. I have never played either of them. Maybe I need to pick them up on the PS3 while they are cheap. I have a few weeks of PTO stacked up. I’ll add these to the list.

Avoid PS3 Skyrim it's a bugfest… If your PC has at least 4GB of RAM and 512MB of video RAM you should be good playing the original PC release with the added benefits of being able to install unofficial bugs that fix a lot of the problems.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, adamchevy said:

Borderlands 2 imo is a great loot-and-shooter.  I would've picked 3 but I'd like to see some of the annoying bugs squashed first.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, MantaNZ said:

Haha no. I though about putting Street Fighter 30th Anniversary in mine!

Drats, I was about to drop a lot of Midway, Capcom, Atari, Namco and Taito Arcade compilations on the list for the ultimate list... but yeah, it is kinda cheating (although that PS2/Xbox era when you'd get 20+ games on a disc for $20-$30 was incredible)  Anyways, here goes (in no particular order)

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (PS2)

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit II (PS2)

SimCity 3000 (PC)

Wii Sports Resort (Wii)

Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox)

Animal Crossing (GameCube)

ESPN NFL 2K5 (Xbox)

Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Doom (PC)

Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)

Quite a bit more heavy for that early to mid 2000's era than I originally expected... but that's kinda my gaming wheelhouse, so it isn't too shocking.  On a side note, if I could have the Pinball Arcade on the PS3 (granted, its a compilation of pinball machines) I'd add that in a heartbeat!

Edit:  Probably take out SMB3 for a Tetris game.  I love Tetris and it would be more enjoyable over Mario in the long run.

Edited by TwinChargers
Drats, I'm forgetful!