IGNORED

You're only allowed 10 games... what are they?

MantaNZ

19 hours ago, TwinChargers said:

Drats, I was about to drop a lot of Midway, Capcom, Atari, Namco and Taito Arcade compilations on the list for the ultimate list... but yeah, it is kinda cheating (although that PS2/Xbox era when you'd get 20+ games on a disc for $20-$30 was incredible)  Anyways, here goes (in no particular order)

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (PS2)

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit II (PS2)

SimCity 3000 (PC)

Wii Sports Resort (Wii)

Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox)

Animal Crossing (GameCube)

ESPN NFL 2K5 (Xbox)

Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Doom (PC)

Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)

Quite a bit more heavy for that early to mid 2000's era than I originally expected... but that's kinda my gaming wheelhouse, so it isn't too shocking.  On a side note, if I could have the Pinball Arcade on the PS3 (granted, its a compilation of pinball machines) I'd add that in a heartbeat!

Edit:  Probably take out SMB3 for a Tetris game.  I love Tetris and it would be more enjoyable over Mario in the long run.

We have very similar game tastes! Damn, I forgot to add an NFL game, though I did consider Madden '92. I have the lot of them on Mega Drive, haha.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, BydoEmpire said:

I was reading an early 90s Computer Gaming World and it had a preview of Empire Deluxe... I forgot how much I loved the original.  I definitely should have added that or Empire 2 to my list.  Endless strategic war-gaming.  If I only get 10 games forever more, they need depth and replayability.  As much as I love Frenzy, I have to swap for Empire.

Never even heard of it... must check it out.

26 minutes ago, PhoenixMoonPatrol said:

SEGA RALLY(SATURN)

MsPacMan(A2600)

DOOM 64(N64)

OUTRUN2(XBOX)

Tempest2K((Jaguar)

Sonic 2(Sega Genesis)

Alien3(SNES)

Daytona USA(Orig Saturn Release)

Panzer Dragoon(Saturn)

StarFox64(N64)

Nice, with ya on Sega Rally, Outrun 2 and Tempest 2K. Have those as well as Sonic 2 and Daytona (both versions) in my collection.

Why do you prefer the original Daytona to the Champion Circuit edition? And have you played Tempest 4000? T2K was my fave shooter even after T4K was released but the more I’ve played it the better I’ve got and I think it ever so slightly edges out T2K now - definitely much smoother!

• Like 1

Sega Rally was the first game that came to mind,I love that game to death,I still remember buying it the day it released for Saturn. It kills me that we dont see a remaster but I guess I'll just emulate it and jack it to 4K resolution with the new PC I plan to buy next summer,its all good :)

Daytona Circuit Edition,that control man. Its so twitchy no matter what settle I adjust it too ? I even own the Japanese Circuit Edition because its got the original tunes from the orig release plus night driving,which is only this weird filter over the visuals but still those bonuses are good enough for me,I love the game to death. I do like Circuit Edition for the extra cars and tracks too but I miss the heavier/beefier control. Its just not the same for me with Circuit Edition,the car feels like the handling from Sega Rally II,very twitchy and feels like I'm driving on ice. You're ok with the handling? I mean the game looks gorgeous with the update in Circuit Edition too,but man I am all over the road with the twitchy handling,damn.  

No I haven't bought Tempest 4K yet. I'm determined to wait for a price drop but the digital version never seems to drop,even with Black Friday they wouldn't budge. I heard the retail version went for $10.00 at Gamestop,I ran in and none were even carried anymore. So if by January if there isn't a price drop I'll just fess up and buy it. Its just that I bounce between modern and retro gaming and I've stopped buying games at full price,well unless theyre at Atari Age,then I buy asap because its a priveledge to buy these homebrews and I like to support what these people do. But yeagh I usally buy for half off since I'm slow at progressing through games nowdays,I enjoy the hell out of them but I've never been a speed burner with games and I hate bloated backlogs so I try to buy everything half off then.

Wow,Tempest 4K slightly edging out 2K? Well that makes my ears perk up. The videos I've seen dont really tell the whole story I guess. It did look like they toned down the speed abit and it looked like more of the same,which isn't a bad thing at all since Tempest gameplay is always great. I guess the real meat of the game of this new one lies in the later levels then? How are the bonus stages and powerups? Are they mildly different or are there some areas where they took a nice step in progression? Anyways I'll be buying it soon,its frustrating seeing them never drop the digital version so I'm about to buy soon. They got me,ha. 

Yeah I get what you mean about the controls. The original is nigh on arcade perfect. CE (I have the Japanese one) is twitchier but nothing compared to the Dreamcast version! Haha. I actually love the Xbox 360 version but yeah, nothing comes close to Sega Rally IMO. Unless of course it's realism you're after. I've been playing WRC 7 on PC. Loads of fun. Still love Colin McRae 1&2 also.

I haven't seen all T4K has to offer (high score of around 2.2 million) but apart from an extra power up or two it's more of the same, including bonus stages. Soundtrack is even the same though it's definitely been remastered or at the very least is the version from the T2K CD soundtrack. It sounds great. There's a lot on screen which can make it tough but you soon get used to it. I love that Minterness.

• Like 1

Well Modern games, that’s a tough one: Demons Souls

Halo Reach

Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning

Nino Kuni Wrath of the White Witch

Journey Collectors Edition

3D Dot Game Heroes

Disgaea 4

Street Fighter 4

The Last of Us

Shadow of the Colossus HD

I’d like to make a couple changes to my list.

3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)

The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction(Xbox)

Mario Kart Double Dash (Gamecube)

Wind Waker (Gamecube)

Quake 3 Arena (Dreamcast with mouse and Keyboard)

Baldurs Gate 2 (PC)

Dynamite Cop (Dreamcast)

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)

Shining Force CD (Sega CD)

And if I could sneak an old game on the list my current happy place is Beamrider for the 2600.

25 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

And if I could sneak an old game on the list my current happy place is Beamrider for the 2600.

That's one of my favorite Atari 2600 games, but the original version hurts my eyes since the screen flashes red every time an enemy is shot, so I play the hacked version of Beamrider that gets rid of the flashing screen:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-favorite-games.html#beamrider

• Like 1

That's one of my favorite Atari 2600 games, but the original version hurts my eyes since the screen flashes red every time an enemy is shot, so I play the hacked version of Beamrider that gets rid of the flashing screen:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-favorite-games.html#beamrider

I’ll have to check out the hacked version. I recently watched my favorite review of the game again. How I wish Mark would come back and do reviews again like this one!

Silkworm (Amiga)

Phoenix (Atari-2600)

Microprose Soccer (C-64)

Bust a Move (Puzzle Bobble) (Neo-Geo)

Dr. Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

Paradroid Redux (C-64)

Speedball 2 (Amiga)

Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour (Super-NES)

Resident Evil 4 (Nintendo 64)

Namco Museum (PS2) (*)

(*) Haha, "Namco Museum" is kind of foolin' here, cause it had alot of Namco's best Arcade games included *lol*. This is a little bit, if a wizard would say to you "you have three wishes" and one of the wishes would be a wish-machine.  :)

But really very hard to mention only ten. If i could mention at least 25 it would have been much easier to choose. I also played "Amber" on my Amiga-500 alot over all the years. It's a superb clone of the boardgame "Risk". Also the Arcade version of "Mr. Do's Castle" i played and still play alot in all the years. Normally these two must have been also in the list, but then i must put two other games out, which i also can not do. Difficult situation. *lol*

If i must have named the "10 only allowed Atari-2600 games" then it would be like this

Phoenix

Galagon

Pitfall 2

Keystone Kapers

Space Rocks

Space Invaders Arcade (the "Rob Kudla" hack)

H.E.R.O.

Draconian

Mappy

Demon Attack

But also here it's very hard. 10 is not enough. If my father had give me this instruction back in the days, it would have lead to trouble between us.   ?  ?

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

SimCity(DOS)

Civilization(DOS)

Zork(A][)

Zork II(A][)

Dungeons of Daggorath(CoCo)

Pokemon Silver(GBC)

Super Mario World(SNES)

Earthbound(SNES)

Super Mario Odyssey(Switch)

BeamNG Drive(PC)

As you can see, I'm a big fan of Adventure/RPG games as well as simulations!

*realizes I forgot about Zelda*

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

I saw, i made a little mistake in my list.  :(

There is "Bust a Move (Neo-Geo)" inside, which i also like, but it must be the second part of this series, "Bust a Move Again (Puzzle Bobble 2) (Neo-Geo)" which belongs into the list. Reason is, that this game can also be played against CPU-opponents in the "versus mode", which is a big plus over the first part, especially when you often have no other human player on your side.

Stupid mistake and now i can not change this anymore in my former entry. Ts ts ts, i would say in german. ?

Edited by AW127

On 12/9/2019 at 9:10 AM, MantaNZ said:

Yeah I get what you mean about the controls. The original is nigh on arcade perfect. CE (I have the Japanese one) is twitchier but nothing compared to the Dreamcast version! 

Ive played many hours of both  CCE and CE (Japan) and DC Daytona. Enjoy them all. I found that you can reduce the DC version sensitivity in options,  and only on the DC version can I roll the Analog wand and hold it finely on a curve, like a steering wheel. With the Saturn Daytonas, even with the analog I have to use soft subtle thrusts, can't just hold it at 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock for example.  Any Daytona is a good pick for this thread.

Speedball II : Brutal Deluxe (Commodore Amiga/Sega Genesis)

Toy Bizarre (Commodore 64)

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Sega Genesis)

H.E.R.O. (Commodore 64)

Halo (Microsoft Xbox)

Streets Of Rage 3 (Sega Genesis)

Black Crypt (Commodore Amiga)

Keystone Kapers (Atari 2600)

Pitfall II - Lost Caverns (Atari 2600)

Jet Set Radio Future (Microsoft Xbox)

• Like 1

In particular order:

Trials Rising (Xbone)

NBA Jam (Xbox 360)

NFL Blitz (Xbox 360)

3 on 3 NHL Arcade (Xbox 360)

Super Mega Baseball 2 (Xbone)

Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

GeneRally (PC)

Battlefield Bad Company (Xbox 360)

rFactor 2 (PC)

Forza Horizon 4 (PC version)

I still have my 360 hooked up so I can play NFL Blitz and 3 on 3 NHL Arcade.  I have over 500 hours in Trials Fusion, no idea what my total hours would be if all of the games in that series were combined but it's probably well over 1,000 hours.   

The rest are ones I come back to from time to time.  I typically play through the AAA games once and never go back to them.

Honorable mention are River Raid and Chopper Command.

4 hours ago, H.E.R.O. said:

Speedball II : Brutal Deluxe (Commodore Amiga/Sega Genesis)

The game is also good on the Mega-Drive, but the Amiga500 Version is better in sound-effects and the playfield-ground looks also better.  :)  I have this game on alot of different platforms (also on PC, Atari-ST or Archimedes for example) but the Amiga version beats them all. Nevertheless, of course the game is also good on the other systems.

And i detected another error in my list above ?, ouh man, Resident Evil 4 on the "GameCube" i meant, not on the "Nintendo 64". Seems like i am getting old, tooooooooo many errorsss.  ?

Edited by AW127
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AW127 said:

The game is also good on the Mega-Drive, but the Amiga500 Version is better in sound-effects and the playfield-ground looks also better.  :)  I have this game on alot of different platforms (also on PC, Atari-ST or Archimedes for example) but the Amiga version beats them all. Nevertheless, of course the game is also good on the other systems.

And i detected another error in my list above ?, ouh man, Resident Evil 4 on the "GameCube" i meant, not on the "Nintendo 64". Seems like i am getting old, tooooooooo many errorsss.  ?

Have to agree about Speedball. It's great on Mega Drive but the Amiga original is the best. Have you played it on C64? I need to try it. I love the original on C64 and Master System :D

On 12/6/2019 at 2:11 PM, BydoEmpire said:

Pretty much going with my "all-time favorite games" list, but some considerations made for replayability

Neverwinter Nights 2 (PC) - I've never actually played this, but was always intrigued. Seems like an extensive, modern version of Stuart Smith's Adventure Construction Set which I'd also be tempted to add.

FYI GOG.com had NWN2 on sale - 50% off, $9.99.  I picked it up the other day, not sure when I'll get a chance to play it though.

21 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

Have to agree about Speedball. It's great on Mega Drive but the Amiga original is the best. Have you played it on C64? I need to try it. I love the original on C64 and Master System :D

On the C64, "Speedball 2" is not bad, but the players are smaller and the overall graphic is so so. It's normal, that it can not look on the C64, like it looks on the Amiga, but the graphics on the C64 in this game, could be better. Especially when i look at some other C64 games and compare. Apart from the graphic, "Speedball 2" plays okay on the C64, but also not as good as the Amiga version.  :)