IGNORED

TOS Upgrade

Colleton

My 1040STF has an early version of TOS dated 1985.  I'd like to upgrade it to Rainbow TOS, but I want to make sure I'm ordering the right chip set (6 chip vs. 2 chip).

I think I have a 6 chip TOS set, can someone please look at the pics I'm enclosing and let me know for sure?  Thanks!

motherboard.png

TOS.png

Edited by Colleton

Yes, you have 6-chip TOS. The ROMs are the six chips just to the right of the cartridge port.

I bought TOS 1.4 for my STF from B&C Computervisions. They're a long-time Atari re-seller. You can get them from their ebay store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rainbow-TOS-1-4-Atari-ST-STF-STFM-Mega-ST-New-6-Chip-EPROM/143220918152?hash=item2158a1c788:g:LgQAAOSwjwNcuTAT

I can offer something little better for little less money:

TOS 1.04 , I guess US lang. , in 6 chips , but double capacity - EPROMs 27C512 . What means new chips, freshly programmed.

In other half may go some other TOS v. , good for ST . Like 1.02 (some games my like it) or whatever. Active TOS may be selected with switch. But you can use it straight, without switch, just insert EPROMs in sockets, then upper half will be active - where 1.04 will be, of course.

Price is 44 Dollars, incl. shipping to US from EU . PayPal preferred.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Yes, you have 6-chip TOS. The ROMs are the six chips just to the right of the cartridge port.

I bought TOS 1.4 for my STF from B&C Computervisions. They're a long-time Atari re-seller. You can get them from their ebay store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rainbow-TOS-1-4-Atari-ST-STF-STFM-Mega-ST-New-6-Chip-EPROM/143220918152?hash=item2158a1c788:g:LgQAAOSwjwNcuTAT

Yes, this is who I ordered from.  I've bought several bits and pieces from him in the past, he's a good guy.

6 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I can offer something little better for little less money:

TOS 1.04 , I guess US lang. , in 6 chips , but double capacity - EPROMs 27C512 . What means new chips, freshly programmed.

In other half may go some other TOS v. , good for ST . Like 1.02 (some games my like it) or whatever. Active TOS may be selected with switch. But you can use it straight, without switch, just insert EPROMs in sockets, then upper half will be active - where 1.04 will be, of course.

Price is 44 Dollars, incl. shipping to US from EU . PayPal preferred.

Maybe another time.  Thanks!

Okay, I ordered a set of Rainbow TOS roms from B&C ComputerVisions and they have arrived.

My 1040 STF motherboard is a C070523-001 Rev D, and  is not listed in the installation instructions.  You can see my motherboard layout in the pics I posted earlier in this thread. 

The only motherboard layout that looks like mine (from the instruction illustrations) is a C103255 motherboard.  Is this the instruction I should follow? Top right on the pic below...

Thanks!

instructions.jpg

• Like 1