IGNORED

I turned a rare Atari 2600 Junior single-chip console into a portable

Benheck

This is some absolutely amazing designing and engineering! I would love to have a portable like this.

I have to admit to being a bit curious though, how long does the battery last?

You certainly did an exceptional job creating this unit, and I enjoyed watching the video you made documenting the entire process.

Very well done!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

Now why can't these companies making portable and flashbacks learn a thing from you?!

Because it's not cost-effective to cannibalize antiques ?

Modern consoles get -all- their profit from SW, subs, and DLC.  None of that is applicable to FB systems.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nukey Shay said:

Because it's not cost-effective to cannibalize antiques ?

Modern consoles get -all- their profit from SW, subs, and DLC.  None of that is applicable to FB systems.

Was it the Flashback 2 that essentially was a hardware Atari? That was more my line of thinking.

52 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

Was it the Flashback 2 that essentially was a hardware Atari? That was more my line of thinking.

Yes, it was. The single-chip “blob” package IC was basically a single-chip VCS designed by @Curt Vendel back when “Atari” still had some modicum of ambition in doing something besides endlessly licensing IP for emulation. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, azure said:

I haven't heard of this single 3-in-1 chip before. Has there been much research on it?

Some later 2600 Jr. consoles (with Rev. 4 motherboards, I believe) shipped with a single chip inside, the C101688, which was a 6507 and TIA/RIOT combined into a single 64-pin package.  The ones I've seen have 1987 date codes stamped on them, so this must have been a change made very late in the life of the 2600.  Perhaps that's why so few of these so-called "Unicorn" consoles have turned up in the wild.  I finally managed to find one "accidentally" when looking for a replacement Jr. motherboard to upgrade to composite; I ultimately found another board and left my Unicorn unmodified.

13 hours ago, bluejay said:

Nice!

I always wanted to learn how to make portable consoles but never got the chance.

But to be honest, we sure to have different tastes for console designs:)

Once you realize that it's mostly re-packaging an existing console's electronics into a different container you're half-way there. It's not like you need an EE degree to redesign the circuitry or anything.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...