IGNORED

How to Copy Disk Images into Real Floppies

bluejay

Now that I'm getting my Apple //e with 5.25" disk drives, I began to wonder how to copy games downloaded online to real floppies. Is there an app like WAVPRG that converts .dsk to .tap or .wav so I can use the cassette interface to load it and then save it to floppy via BASIC like I would on my VIC-20? I'm really not that familiar with Apple stuff(both old and new), so any help is appreciated. And I guess I can just use WAVPRG to convert .prgs into .taps and .wavs using WAVPRG on Commodore computers. And how about Atari computers? I own no Atari computers, but I'd still like to know. Do I have to use a real MS-DOS pc to access the internet and then copy it on the real computer when it comes to MS-DOS games?

Side question: can I use blank DSHD disks on DSDD drives?

1 hour ago, bluejay said:

Side question: can I use blank DSHD disks on DSDD drives?

You can, but your results will be unpredictable.  As has been covered many times in many venues, HD magnetic media is different from DD media as it has a higher magnetic coercion, meaning it takes a stronger magnetic field to write reliably.  IF you successfully write readable data to an HD disk from a DD drive, it will fail in time.

12 hours ago, bluejay said:

Aren't Apple Disk Server games in .wav form? Will it work if I try to boot Lemmings via the cassette input with the Disk Server?

Yes, but the disk images are coupled with a program called Instadisk (or at least I think that's what it's called, it's been awhile).  As such, they don't boot as games or disks on their own.  Instead the computer will load the Instadisk program, then depending on the version you're playing, Instadisk will automatically format and write the attached disk image to floppy.  From there, you can reboot your computer from your new floppy.  

12 hours ago, bluejay said:

Both ADTpro and C2T aren't working...

I've never used C2T, but for ADTPro, you need two connections to make use of the cassette ports (both in and out).  Once loaded on the Apple II, the program will need to communicate with the host computer.  Unlike Instadisk, which is strictly out go (from file host to the Apple II), ADTPro has to send signals back to the host to request disk images or file catalogs.  This can be a problem for some newer computers that use a single jack for both mic and headphones (if this is your case, you'll need a breakout cable separating the mic from the headphone).  

If that's not the case for you, the sound settings can also be a problem.  You need to make sure that your host computer is listening to the mic port and not defaulted to the internal one instead. I remember my Mac not doing this automatically.  Adjusting the volume and sensitivity of the mic port also helped.  Also make sure that you've silenced any audio alerts, as your Apple II will interpret them as data.  

I only mention this because I remember it taking me a long time to work out all the kinks in ADTPro. Despite how easy their videos make it look, there's still a bit of a learning curve.  If it helps, I remember that actually bootstrapping my Apple II from ADTPro (as opposed to loading from floppy) helped a lot in working out all of the out going settings.

Also, http://asciiexpress.net hosts a game server as well (http://asciiexpress.net/gameserver/).  Like the disk server, the files are archived in .wav format and can be saved to your hard drive.  However, unlike the disk server, these games boot instantly after loading, and if you like, will work from a cassette as well! (no Instadisk or writing to floppy)  Also, there's lots of Arcade Titles to choose from!!

• 2 weeks later...