IGNORED

Classic99 Question - Filtering

pixelpedant

For reasons which are unclear to me, on one of my systems (which is a pretty lightweight Windows system with a 3200x1800 display, if that signifies anything insofar is Classic99 is concerned), Classic99's screen image appears filtered/softened when Stretch mode is set to DX, i.e., DirectX (and Filter Mode is None).  Here's the thing though - I actually like this look (which resembles F18A CRT graphics on a 15KHz monitor, which is what I'm used to). I just have no idea how it's being achieved (and this system does not have a real dedicated GPU, and has never been used for gaming, so any DirectX behaviour is out of the box Intel-integrated-graphics-on-Windows-10 behaviour). Of course, turning on TV Mode enables output resembling CVBS and featuring the accompanying defects. And setting Stretch Mode to DIB results in a pixel-perfect screen image. But I'd like to know if this DX filtered appearance is reproducible functionality. Because I actually would reproduce it if I could.

Is this softening likely just a DirectX bug which happens to have desirable effects?  Or is this in some form intended functionality? Anyone know? Here's an example:

image.thumb.png.c40d3934a0796f9761f15807952c75b4.png

It's not a bug, it's just the default for your DirectX drivers when bitmaps are scaled with it. Some drivers do it, and some don't. I don't set anything special in the code for it and I can't even say how to turn it on or off for a particular driver. ;) I usually tell people if they don't want it, to use GDI as that usually doesn't anti-alias the scaling. But to get it on a driver that doesn't normally provide, no idea.

• Like 1

Thanks Tursi.  And for all your work on Classic99.  I'll probably just switch which system I do development on, under the circumstances, since I am a fan of it.  Since there's no reason it shouldn't be that one.  And it's easier to switch which monitor I code on than muck about with unseen DirectX system settings and hidden GPU behaviours.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

For reasons which are unclear to me, on one of my systems (which is a pretty lightweight Windows system with a 3200x1800 display, if that signifies anything insofar is Classic99 is concerned), Classic99's screen image appears filtered/softened when Stretch mode is set to DX, i.e., DirectX (and Filter Mode is None).  Here's the thing though - I actually like this look ............

Because I actually would reproduce it if I could.

I too like that look very much. Classic99 looked that way on one of my old computers and it reminded me of the TI99 with a CRT, but without all the artifacting. Sadly, my newer computer doesn't have that softening.

I plan to expand the visualizations when I get to 4.0, if I get there! ;) The visualizations are fun, but I actually do use the heatmap for debugging, too - it's great to see when a program is in a tight loop or running away, and I used it a lot to get an idea of the memory access patterns of my VGM compressor.

• Like 1