IGNORED

NEW MAME HSC - ROUND 4/10 - HOLIDAYS 5-PACK!

20 hours ago, youxia said:

Zoo Keeper - 105,650

I like the zoo bit a lot, but the platforming levels are rage inducing. Remind me of that Mario game from last year *shudder*.

I don't mind the platforms but I'm not sure they make the game better.  I could take them or leave them for the most part.

If you hold the jump button down you can bounce upward from platform to platform quite quickly, and you get a fair bit of leeway to steer yourself in mid-air.  I just try to visualize a clear path to the top and get there as quickly as possible.  Sometimes you have to slow down and buy some time while things clear out a bit.  The monkey seems to like to throw a few coconuts in one direction, then turn around and throw a few in the other direction.  It helps to take advantage of the moments where you can approach the top from the side opposite the way the monkey is facing.  I don't bother with the point pressing tricks on this screen because they always seem to result in avoidable deaths.  Another thing to manage is when you fall downward you will "bounce" when you land on a platform, which can leave you vulnerable because you momentarily lose control of your character during the bounce.  Once you get used to this and can anticipate it happening, it's easier to work around it. 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 3:39 PM, Cynicaster said:

I don't mind the platforms but I'm not sure they make the game better.  I could take them or leave them for the most part.

If you hold the jump button down you can bounce upward from platform to platform quite quickly, and you get a fair bit of leeway to steer yourself in mid-air.  I just try to visualize a clear path to the top and get there as quickly as possible.  Sometimes you have to slow down and buy some time while things clear out a bit.  The monkey seems to like to throw a few coconuts in one direction, then turn around and throw a few in the other direction.  It helps to take advantage of the moments where you can approach the top from the side opposite the way the monkey is facing.  I don't bother with the point pressing tricks on this screen because they always seem to result in avoidable deaths.  Another thing to manage is when you fall downward you will "bounce" when you land on a platform, which can leave you vulnerable because you momentarily lose control of your character during the bounce.  Once you get used to this and can anticipate it happening, it's easier to work around it. 

I'm sure it's possible to handle this section, otherwise you guys wouldn't be posting high scores. Unfortunately, I've had a platformer-phobia - an intrinsic dislike of the platform-jumpin/dying mechanic - since forever. So in this case I just usually panic and end up losing all my lives in a really frustrating fashion :) Although, I can also see this level being possibly quite fun, because when it occasionally works for me, some crazily exciting stunts & narrow escapes happen.

Rolling Thunder: 81, 700. This game is actually rather dull, but in a way a relief from the relentless action of the other ones. It's also rather amusingly camp, was it some sort of a TV show or a comic book?

I'll post all the photos & scores in one "official" post before the end of the round.

Merry Xmas everyone

Edited by youxia

Sorcer Striker - 171,810

Raiden - 166,500

Any delusions I might've harboured recently, regarding being perhaps not so bad at shoot'em ups as I thought back in the day, were quickly dispelled by this duo. There's too much, too fast happenin there for this old git. I mean, Raiden's first boss, which I've only defeated few times has difficulty level normally found in stage 2-3 of other games. SS on teh other hand has so many beautiful things swirling on the screen it's really hard to keep track of the actual projectiles. And I guess these two are probably considered easy by the genre's afficionados ?

Still, very slick games, especially SS, what with being a gfx orgy.