IGNORED

NEW MAME HSC - ROUND 4/10 - HOLIDAYS 5-PACK!

33 minutes ago, Floyd Turbo said:

Can someone help me?  I just don't understand Zoo Keeper.  I've been playing it for over an hour now and I still can't beat my hi score. I see all the other scores are in the 6 digits. Am I missing something?  I want to punch my screen and smash my Jackson guitar.    

Check out some gameplay videos on YouTube to see how the big points are scored.  

First attempts...

Raiden - 50,610 - like the cows

Sorcer Striker - 93,830 - like the cows here, too

Rolling Thunder - 32,820 - Really advanced platforming for '86! Great AI, great style. The only thing is I feel like I'm fighting against how stiff the character controls.

Armored Car - 6,640 - I like the sound effects in this game

Zoo Keeper - 74,730 - this is the gem of the 5-pack to me! This game is awesome. Looks like Taito got a little inspired by Williams, maybe?

Zoyous_200102_5pack.jpg

Second attempts...

Raiden - 124,520 - The artwork in this game is so cool. There's a good rhythm alternating between the game grabbing you by the hair and thrashing you around, and lulls here and there.

Armored Car - 17,460 - I realized there isn't much (if any) gas penalty for being in 2nd gear most of the time, but it does become hard to control with precision.

Zoo Keeper - 109,280 - I love this crazy game! It seems the big points are to be had by letting the animals out and jumping over them.

Zoyous_200103_5pack.jpg

Edited by Zoyous

10 minutes ago, youxia said:

4 weeks sure seemed like a lot of time to play :)

?Sorcer Striker? - 340,010

Raiden - 182,450

Rolling Thunder - 85,120

IMG_20200105_204638.jpg

IMG_20200104_160853.jpg

IMG_20200104_204158.jpg

It was. Too long in fact. I can't believe I've been trying to figure out Zoo Keeper for almost a month. That "gain a life" level gets me almost every time. 

That was a month to remember!  It was nice to play those fun ones over the Christmas Holidays.  I was hoping for an even higher score for Zoo Keeper and ol' Raiden, but it never came about.  Armoured Car may be frustrating to no end, but its gameplay and strategy is top notch.  Rolling Thunder is a little dull, but not horrendous.  And Sorcer Striker is a fairly easy, but great vertical shooter.

MO

I felt at times that I was having some difficulty using an 8-way joystick for a 4-way game. I'd have to compare it with the coin-op to be sure. But yeah, sometimes I must have been pressing diagonally when I thought I was pressing in a single direction, thus turning unexpectedly.

Zoo Keeper is a riot! I'm adding it to my list of favorite games that I've discovered through the HSC, along with Ladybug and Time Pilot '84.

17 hours ago, Zoyous said:

I felt at times that I was having some difficulty using an 8-way joystick for a 4-way game.

I think this might be my problem (using Dualshock 4). I also struggled with controls in these two games, to the point of abandoning them. Zoo keeper would freeze occasionally, especially on corners, and the AC either go in a wrong direction or not turn when you want it to. The latter did happen few times before with other labyrinth based Pac-likes. I think Retroarch has an option to alleviate this and perhaps I could ask some MAME people if the 4/8 really is the reason and if there's a fix for it.

1 hour ago, youxia said:

I think this might be my problem (using Dualshock 4). I also struggled with controls in these two games, to the point of abandoning them. Zoo keeper would freeze occasionally, especially on corners, and the AC either go in a wrong direction or not turn when you want it to. The latter did happen few times before with other labyrinth based Pac-likes. I think Retroarch has an option to alleviate this and perhaps I could ask some MAME people if the 4/8 really is the reason and if there's a fix for it.

I had a similar experience with Zoo Keeper's corners a few times, but it felt similar to how you rotate around in Gyruss so I was able to adapt to it. It didn't feel as "seamless" as Gyruss, though, and that might be an issue with how the game is coded as much as the joystick. Zoo Keeper is a crazy fun game but I wouldn't say it's perfectly polished.

Some people have mentioned to me that there are some settings in MAME you can play around with when dealing with the 4/8 directional issue, but I haven't looked into it to closely. Main reason being, it can't possibly detect the context of the game, so wouldn't you just be assigning some kind of set response...? Like if you're pushing up and right, always favor going right or always favor going up? If that's the case it seems like it could cause its own problems. Researching joysticks a few years ago I found some that you could change from 4-way to 8-way by rotating them in a particular way, but I don't know anyone who's got them installed.

Edited by Zoyous
typo

2 hours ago, youxia said:

It's definitely an issue with the style of controller you're using.  The controls work just fine with an arcade-style joystick; preferably a 4-way, but 8-way should work OK as well once you get used to it.  I'm no master of maze games and I can accurately zip around the maze in Armored Car with the turbo button pressed, no problem. 

I've heard of supposed software tricks that are claimed to help eliminate control errors on 4-way games when played with more-than-4-way controllers, but I've never needed to use them so I don't have any direct experience.  I will say that I'm highly skeptical because when playing a 4-way game and you accidentally veer into the diagonal area (for example) there's no way the software can discern your intent.

As far as I'm concerned, the only real "fix" is to play the games with a 4-way joystick.  Actually, any joystick - even if 8-way - is probably going to be an improvement over a d-pad or thumbstick from a modern playstation-style controller.  For example, I've played games like this on MAME using an Atari 2600 joystick and it works surprisingly well. 

Edited by Cynicaster

On 1/7/2020 at 8:21 PM, Cynicaster said:

As far as I'm concerned, the only real "fix" is to play the games with a 4-way joystick.  Actually, any joystick - even if 8-way - is probably going to be an improvement over a d-pad or thumbstick from a modern playstation-style controller.  For example, I've played games like this on MAME using an Atari 2600 joystick and it works surprisingly well. 

That could be true, but I move a lot and can't drag an extra gadget around with me just to play a few titles. And I actually prefer to play the rest with a modern pad, because I've never really liked joysticks, even as a kid. The ones I could afford back then for 8/16-bit micros were quite horrible. Besides I suspect it's more just me not being very good at these kinda games than the hardware itself.

So there is actually an option in Retroarch called "4 way emulation on 8 way joystick". It only appears on 4 way games. I've just tried it on Armor Car and Zoo Keeper and it's hard to say how much difference it made. It sort of felt a bit better (especially on ZK) but perhaps I suggested myself (and my scores still sucked). Still, I'd rather have it on than off I suppose.