What's Your Favorite  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite

• Galaxian
    • Galaga
    • Gaplus
    • Galaga '88

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

BITD I played the piss out of Galaga and considered it one of my favorite arcade games of all time (and still do). But in recent years I've been playing Galaxian more. And now in recent weeks I've been playing Galaga 90 (translation of Galaga 88) on the PC Engine and I'm really digging it. I've largely ignored Gaplus (although I've played it in tournaments) and Galaga 88 (up until recently).

I wanted to keep this poll limited to the arcade games of the 70s and 80s. But feel free to discuss the abominations released afterwards whether it was arcade or console. I had Galaga Legions I think it was called for the Xbox 360 and it sucked ass.

For me it's a toss-up between Galaxian and Galaga '88.  I just can't get into Galaga, and I don't think I even have an opinion on Gaplus.  

Agreed that the Turbografx version of '88 is awesome.  It's basically the arcade game perfectly translated to a horizontal screen.  

1 hour ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I bought Galaga: Demons of Death on NES way back when... thinking it was a different game...nope... it's just Galaga. lol I would choose Galaga '88.

The problem I have with Demons of Death is if you would put the arcade and NES game side by side you see how much closer the bad guys in formation in the NES version.

I'm the weirdo who loves Gaplus, so it got my vote.  Galaga's a great game, but Gaplus edges it out for me in the areas of pacing and gameplay enhancements over its predecessor.

Galaxian is a good game, but I've always found that it quickly becomes repetitive for me, and Galaga '88 always felt somewhat gimmicky.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

I like Galaga 88 but the problem with it is it ENDS and it's also too easy. The only challenge with it is trying to finish the game across all the different paths. 

That leaves the other 3.. I place Gaplus at the bottom because of the sound design.. it's too "soft" sounding to me. Galaxian you get bored of pretty easily even when it was the new hot thing at the arcades (trust me, I was there :lol:. That leaves Galaga at #1 for me.