Sign in to follow this  
Dripfree

Spotting a single chip Atari

Hey I  was watching Ben Hecks portable single chip Atari video. He showed a brief image of the bottom vents with a couple sentences on how to spot it. I got curious and started looking at my Jr. It kinda looks like his image... Im not sure it wasn't great instructions. I was going to open it but its never been opened before and I don't want to pierce the serial number label. Anyone got a sure way to spot one without opening it. Perhaps certain serial numbers, or physical differences in the casing or labels. Let me know if any of you have knowledge of this.

• Like 1

The 2600 Jr. doesn't have any screws under the serial number label, it's just the five screws on the bottom and some snaps at the front.

Edited by ApolloBoy

Ha you are correct! I only found 4 screws the fifth was covered with a video game exchange sticker! I am not worried about removing that. I could tell when I was trying to separate the halves there was another screw in the center, I felt a dimple under the serial number and assumed it was there. Now I got it open I have found it is indeed a single chip. My next question is how rare are these? A part of me wants to attempt Bens work but he made it sound like they were just insanely rare. Are they more rare than a heavy sixer? I got one of them too and felt like I struck gold when I found it. I actually traded a 4 switch for this. The guy just wanted the same 2600 he had as a child. I wonder if I should feel bad... Its CIB too.

20191209_212431.jpg

20191209_212413.jpg

• Like 1

I personally don't care for the Atari Junior for the simple fact that a couple of games (like Space Shuttle) make use of the various switches (Space Shuttle even includes a cardboard layover for both 4 and 6 switchers) and my Junior will not give me double-shots on Space Invaders by "frying." Also, the plastic on the Junior is more prone to brittleness with age.

2 hours ago, keithbk said:

and my Junior will not give me double-shots on Space Invaders by "frying."

If you hold down the reset button while turning the system on you'll get double shots that way as well. 

9 hours ago, keithbk said:

I personally don't care for the Atari Junior for the simple fact that a couple of games (like Space Shuttle) make use of the various switches (Space Shuttle even includes a cardboard layover for both 4 and 6 switchers) and my Junior will not give me double-shots on Space Invaders by "frying." Also, the plastic on the Junior is more prone to brittleness with age.

In this thread, is a .pdf you can print out for a Jr. Space Shuttle overlay:

7 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

If you hold down the reset button while turning the system on you'll get double shots that way as well. 

Mine won't.

Last 2600_Juniors in France have a péritel/scart output. They are very rare (I never found one) but are very valuable because of this "modern" output. Also, they are PAL (not rotten SECAM). If you spot one, get it!

• Like 2

So I Googled "Atari Janus chip" watching the exact same Ben Heck video and I'm not at all surprised it led me back to the mothership AtariAge. :D My question is exactly the same -- is there an easy tell for if you have a single chip Junior without opening it up? I have a Junior that I've never opened that I had also saved for a project - I think I got it from SS (Shawn Smith) on here to put into a K-9 from Doctor Who. :D

• Like 1