IGNORED

Clicking Atari Jaguar CD repair

Bratwurst

If your Atari Jag CD makes a loud grinding/clicking noise on bootup before it begins spinning the disc, or at any time it's trying to access streaming audio/video data, this may fix the issue. The drive's limit switch is either not connected (poor wire connection), the contacts corroded and thus need to be cleaned/tinned, or in this particular case, physically not reaching the leaf switch. I have designed a plastic harness that can be clipped into place, glued or both which extends the laser sled's reach by 2mm:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4037935

Note that in order to freely move the laser back and forth you'll need to unclip and dislocate the motor with its wormgear:

MnHVzrX.jpg

As seen below, the limit switch is not getting hit at all by the laser sled being pushed all the way to the spindle.

4JpmqJg.jpg

With the clip in place, you want to verify that nothing is going to catch or drag on the gears or underside of the drive.

E8ZlsDC.jpg

Just enough augmentation to properly actuate the leaf switch:

1R5jui2.jpg

It's also a good idea while you're in here to inspect all the wire connections because the ones in this drive were very frail and poorly done. Touch up with new solder, secure with dots of hot glue even. Cleaning off the old white lithium grease and replacing it with silicone or similar quality lithium should also be done.

Edited by Bratwurst
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

This is an interesting read.  I bought my JagCD in about '97 off Matt McGee at the Console Centre in the UK (anyone remember him?) and it made a clicking noise from day 1.  It was a used system but in good condition and, as I had no point of reference, I assumed all JagCDs did it.

I've had 100s of hours use from it and amazingly it still works so I'm not tempted to take it apart and start fiddling with it.  It's good to know there's an explanation for the noise though.

Thanks for sharing.