IGNORED

Atari Ultra Pong Doubles help

iyouwas

Hello, I need a little help repairing a Atari Ultra Pong Doubles console.   It has a Black display when powered on. And no sounds or any other signs of life.  

I know power isn't the issue, 

Could it be a rom or program issue at this point?

Any help will be appreciated!

Tom

IMG_20191205_210249_761.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's the IC that TPI referred to above

It's not like an E/E/P/ROM so its' not recoverable if it goes bad, as it contains actual electronics inside and not a memory matrix - but that should be rare.

Looking at the box it indicates moisture damage, which makes me suspect some oxidisation may have occured. 

TPI's suggestion of repeated button pressing often clears built up oxide, which could stop function, so worth a good few tries.  A drop of contact cleaner in the switches could also be of benefit here.

I had a slightly similar issue on a pong clone - power, sound, but missing display elements. I cleaned the unit first, then removed the IC, cleaned the pins with a contact cleaner - a thin oil will also work (removes the oxide), wiped off the oil residue and re-inserted the IC back in the socket (a few times).  It was just like you would do on a VCS cart in-out a few times to scratch off the oxide.  Really had to push it home into the socket for the contacts to make as I only cleaned the pins on the IC, and not the socket connectors.

Much like yours, the pins were a nice silver, but still the display was out.

My Sears Pong Sports IV, has the same IC model as yours (my Pong is in pieces as it's awaiting work).  The IC is in a fiddly location even with the shielding off, you may want to get a proper IC remover tool, as I would really not want to see a unit trashed by jiggling around with a flathead screw driver and slipping, causing some damage.  Haste makes waste.

Youtube some videos on proper IC removal, just to be safe.  I don't want to give any bad advice that may result in damage.

If it's not the IC the next culprit(s), would be the capacitors.

I usually check for discolouration of components/swelling poor solder joints as well.

Every Pong/clone that has a working main IC is recoverable, as the other components around it can be substituted.  However "when" the main IC fails, you've got spare parts...  Good luck!

Screenshot_20191210-085551.thumb.png.3d8db3f9e7625cfda54bcc223d662d90.pngHello, thanks for the reply!  

I actually went out on a limb, and bought another Ultra Pong Doubles that was being sold as-is.   This time I got lucky.  And it works!   I didn't swap the IC chip because I didn't want to take the chance of shorting or damaging this new "working" console.   But I had removed it on the old one, and reseated it a few times.   

I really am enjoying playing it.  

Maybe I can help you?   Is there anything I can send you that will help your console get repaired?   I could hold onto it for parts, but I'd much rather help another member of the community get theirs going if I could.   I know how that would make me feel.  ✌️

Thanks again for the advice, and it feels great to be back!

Tom Vogel

IMG_20191221_193537578~2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 3:53 PM, Voxel said:

That's a nice pong table.

I'd rather not bother you for any parts as I'm in the UK... postage... customs...  OMG!

Hi Voxel, 

I just acquired a Sears pong sports that needed a little TLC.  It came with the box and a complete package.  Even has the manual paperwork!!!    I used a controller port, and the video cable from my old first console and repaired this one to 100%.   If still interested in my old "parts" one, or this complete one I just repaired let me know.   I don't have a problem sharing some Pong goodness to ya!   Just pay shipping and I'll send you the parts console.   If you want the other complete in box one, PM me and we can work something out. 

Thanks!

Tom

• Thanks 1