IGNORED

SOLVED: Which TI cartridges best for repurposing for EPROMs?

OLD CS1

I would like to build some cartridges out of the 4k and 8k images I have without having to use new multi-purpose cartridge boards.  I understand most TI cartridges are GROM-based and a bunch have ROM, as well.  Who knows off the top of your head which cartridges are best to re-purpose to hold 4k and 8k EPROMs?

• Like 1

I would like to build some cartridges out of the 4k and 8k images I have without having to use new multi-purpose cartridge boards.  I understand most TI cartridges are GROM-based and a bunch have ROM, as well.  Who knows off the top of your head which cartridges are best to re-purpose to hold 4k and 8k EPROMs?
Wouldn't it be the same carts that work for superspace? TI Invaders Munch Man?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The bottom one is a clone of my 512K board that uses straps on the bottom of the board to semi-permanently set the jumpers (the jumpers are the same as those used on the early version of the board). I like the one designed for Atarisoft cases--I probably need to get a few of those (or design one of my own in the right shape).

• Like 1

Before the FinalGROM arrived on the scene I bought a few of the UberGROM boards.  They were a little more expensive, but they used the 49F040 EEPROM which meant I could easily reprogram them without having to mess with a UV box.  I know the UberGROM is overkill for most stuff, but a single board supporting a socketed chip like that, without the 1284P socket would have been useful.  I like the 49F040 because it can handle up to 512K images and there are no pins to bend or weaken after multiple pulls and insertions over time.

UberGROM.thumb.png.c3bd0a51d4f78a1cc0553c7e770a1ea8.png

2 hours ago, Opry99er said:

OLD CS1, I wasn't aware you could pull the ROM and GROM from a standard cartridge and just swap them with new EPROMs.  :) That's pretty cool!

Not perfectly, but Thierry's site shows pins which are different between the masked ROM and an EPROM.  Of course, this provides no banking so the max you can do is 8k.

1 hour ago, --- Ω --- said:

Before the FinalGROM arrived on the scene I bought a few of the UberGROM boards.  They were a little more expensive, but they used the 49F040 EEPROM which meant I could easily reprogram them without having to mess with a UV box.  I know the UberGROM is overkill for most stuff, but a single board supporting a socketed chip like that, without the 1284P socket would have been useful.  I like the 49F040 because it can handle up to 512K images and there are no pins to bend or weaken after multiple pulls and insertions over time.

I do the same with the 512k board.  Neat, but not the intention of this exercise.

22 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

I know the UberGROM is overkill for most stuff, but a single board supporting a socketed chip like that, without the 1284P socket would have been useful.  I like the 49F040 because it can handle up to 512K images and there are no pins to bend or weaken after multiple pulls and insertions over time.

You know that you don't have to populate the 1284 socket, right? Nothing on the board requires it. It works as just ROM, just GROM, or both. ;)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tursi said:

You know that you don't have to populate the 1284 socket, right? Nothing on the board requires it. It works as just ROM, just GROM, or both. ;)

Oh, I already know, I still have a couple setup like that.  I mentioned it only because I  thought it would have been nice at the time to have a less expensive board that only had the socket for the 49F040 sort of like a PLCC version of the "Red Board". 

285332677_RedBoard.jpg.c609a87fa7bd775ff2e7c124bf98f2a0.jpg

3 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Theirs flash chips that go in a regular red board also a plcc adapter is easy to add to one

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Would you still be able to close the cartridge case using an adapter?  How much are they?  If an adapter did not add too much to the overall cost, bringing close in price to the UberGROM, it might still be feasible.

6 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Oh, I already know, I still have a couple setup like that.  I mentioned it only because I  thought it would have been nice at the time to have a less expensive board that only had the socket for the 49F040 sort of like a PLCC version of the "Red Board". 

No, that's what I'm saying. Don't mount the socket. Holes are free. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tursi said:

No, that's what I'm saying. Don't mount the socket. Holes are free. ;)

You know THAT never crossed my mind!  I've purchased all my cartridges pre-built.  That does bring up a question though, if the Red Board and the Blue Board were still readily available, what the price difference would be between the two if the blue one came with some open holes in the 1284P location.

Additionally, I just had a good look at the board of a Parker Bros. game, Q*Bert, from which I reclaimed a cart shell.  There is a 2764 (8k x 8,) on one side of the board next to PB's GROM-like device and the other side looks to be a spot for a 2732 (4k x 8.)  This would suit the purpose, as well.