IGNORED

Miniature Golf - game in development

sometimes99er

1 hour ago, Asmusr said:

I think you need to use subsampling: for each time the screen is updated you move the ball in several smaller steps and test for each step if it hits the wall.

Thanks. Yes, I think that's the way to go. I previously read this one.
https://www.metanetsoftware.com/technique/tutorialA.html

So the velocity vector (for a frame) is divided into steps at 1 pixel or less. Works fine (using 8.8 fixed point).

I'm pretty sure I only have to hit test 4 corners of the ball at this point per step. The ball can only cover a maximum of 4 characters (each of which with this game is either on or off), so that is easy to get from the VDP. And some values might be retained a few times as the walls are on 8 pixel boundaries.

Now if there's a collision, I can simply move the ball back one step. Flipping either the x or the y of the velocity works most of the time, but hitting corners probably needs exchanging and flipping both. I think I have to check more pixels to see how the ball is hitting a corner. I guess sometimes there's the possibility of only 1 pixel hitting the corner.

Edited by sometimes99er

On 12/12/2019 at 7:21 PM, sometimes99er said:

Lately I've got this headache. Right now the plan is;

Headaches, Migranes, Cluster Headaches; I know this is probably not the appropriate place to make such a suggestion so some apologies in advance - But magic mushrooms can work wonders for this type of ailment if you continue to struggle. BTW, before I get shot down for making such an unorthodox suggestion, do be aware that they are non addictive and you can't OD on them. This is more than can be said for most prescription medicines....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bones-69 said:

Headaches, Migranes, Cluster Headaches; I know this is probably not the appropriate place to make such a suggestion so some apologies in advance - But magic mushrooms can work wonders for this type of ailment if you continue to struggle. BTW, before I get shot down for making such an unorthodox suggestion, do be aware that they are non addictive and you can't OD on them. This is more than can be said for most prescription medicines....

Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm on the suggested tomato juice (post #2). I always think of acupuncture (more or less accepted here), which, like most science, is probably a lot about trail and error.

Progress report.

There's been different detours, also concerning other TI projects. Main attention with Miniature has been "movement of the ball" ( Make it bounce off the walls). I had to take a few steps back, and take smaller steps forward (handling logic with movement and collisions). First going for the common cases, and then advancing with more uncommon cases, while also refactoring. Movement and collisions are now robust (and the logic is clear). The last special cases, happening less than 1% of the time, actually does the job in most cases. I'm now expanding these.

image.png.42caed7d9925c58118d57eeead1320a5.png

• Like 7

On 12/16/2019 at 9:54 AM, sometimes99er said:

For now things are broken down into these bits ...

Obstacle
✔ Make it move back and forth between control points.

Player (club)
✔ Make it move (user input).
✔ Make it move slow when close to the ball (precise putting).
✔ Make it hit the ball (user input).

Ball
✔ Make it move (after being hit).
✔ Make it react to friction (surface).
✔ Make it stop (allow next hit).
✘ Make it bounce off the walls.
✘ Make it bounce off the obstacle.
✘ Make it go into the hole.

So all of the above has been checked (done). I'm proceeding with the next holes (screens). Kids are having lots of fun with it, and they want more. All good. Their inputs and questions are priceless and sometimes eyeopening.

I ask myself continuously about what to add. I think I'll split things up and try to get one/first version out there better sooner than later. No signs of things going above 8K. And, as usual, no need for any memory expansions.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to getting all 9 holes added. All very basic, no scoring, no sounds and no ending.

Brilliant to have kids test the game. Loads of nice, positive and constructive input. Aspects and details I didn’t think of. All good. I called the moving obstacle the windmill and a drunken friend.

- “You should show which keys to use”. “Nice relaxing game”. “I like the symmetry”. “I think I like to sneak”. “Oh, that’s nice”. “Cool”.  “Ha ha ha”. “I like how this area doesn’t come into play”. “Ah, I like this one because it’s spacey”. “I love this one”. “Ah, my drunken friend helped me” ...

image.png.46868dc9fb537a7d68c10745e0bd28c3.png

• Like 6

So I've got around to adding some scoring to the game. Obviously one has to try and get a low score - to take as few shots as possible. The design is not final.

image.png.6c9fc44a3ce496f88256e311b832f388.png

I see great potential for this as a 2 player game. Players taking turns.

There's also the potential for different courses (the original 9 holes being one). There's been a competition here at AtariAge designing holes for the original.

Looks like I have to make room for a title and selection screen.

• Like 2

I love sports related titles on retro gaming consoles and computers. Can’t wait to play this.

Looks great so far!

One BIG thing I find missing from most retro sports titles is opponents with AI. Any chance this game will include two player mode or single player vs computer? 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Airshack said:

I love sports related titles on retro gaming consoles and computers. Can’t wait to play this.

Looks great so far!

One BIG thing I find missing from most retro sports titles is opponents with AI. Any chance this game will include two player mode or single player vs computer? 

Thanks!

I think a two player mode would be great, with players completing one hole at a time. Adding a computer opponent would most certainly be nice, and a very nice challenge.

• Like 2

Odyssey2 has a nice golf title which is quite entertaining despite the simplistic presentation. As with their other sports games — no player vs computer mode. 

So so difficult to get good at an AI-less sports title unless you have another human player with equal enthusiasm. 

I believe a computer AI player will significantly enhance the replay value.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Airshack said:

Odyssey2 has a nice golf title which is quite entertaining despite the simplistic presentation. As with their other sports games — no player vs computer mode.

A friend had one of those, and some nice games. Seemed somewhat more capable than my Atari 2600, so yes, I was impressed.

So so difficult to get good at an AI-less sports title unless you have another human player with equal enthusiasm.

Yes, you need a friend. And you need to have fun. Often I've encountered people to "lose interest" if the other seemed better. Come on. Practice makes master. Let's have fun!

I believe a computer AI player will significantly enhance the replay value.

Absolutely. This is just a remake for fun. If I was in the business of making games (money), that's a thing to consider (computer player). Right now I think I'm more in the "get it done" mood. Not rushing it. Simply keeping it fun when I feel like it. Again, it can't take forever (when I've gone public). But there are other things I also like to do (150+ TI projects/ideas).

• Like 2

Done
✔ Sound-effects added.

✔ Par information updated. Par is the predetermined number of shots the player (golfer) should require to complete a hole.
✔ Endgame. Message and color switching. The latter being an early and typical Atari 2600 effect.
✔ Best and Total implemented.

Next

• Color cycling logic or dataset. As is it's rather blunt.
• Introscreen. Keep it simple.

• Starting position of ball. Slight offsets makes it harder to later (just) redo a super-duper lucky shot. Been there, done that.
• Optimization. Eg. minimize VDP access (read 4 characters below ball (ignoring that sometimes 2 and even 1 is enough) ).

I actually enjoy playing/testing this game. One of my favorite laid-back games back in the 1979 era, and one that my late father (1936-1993) enjoyed too.

Also I'm going to see a neurologist on March 10th (about the headache). Fingers crossed.

• Like 6

of all the once in the video i really love Enduro Race, was very funny to play with it whan i was a child :) i remember how was funny and hard also to drive the car on the snow section of the game.

i also remember another nice game named Grand Prix but it is not in the video.

nice sound for the engine too :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ti99iuc said:

of all the once in the video i really love Enduro Race, was very funny to play with it whan i was a child :) i remember how was funny and hard also to drive the car on the snow section of the game.

i also remember another nice game named Grand Prix but it is not in the video.

nice sound for the engine too :) 

I've got a few car racing games on my list. We've already got, at least, Car Wars, Pole Position, Road Hunter, Formula and Bounce'n'Pounce. The overall approach with Grand Prix (horizontal scrolling) is not on my list. Thanks for all of your input though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

in true i didn't understood that your post with video was for decide about developing a your future game, sorry.
I just posted my general reply so for partecipate to the thread and put my two cents on my preferred games that i played with Atari2600 when i was a child ? 

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, ti99iuc said:

in true i didn't understood that your post with video was for decide about developing a your future game, sorry.
I just posted my general reply so for partecipate to the thread and put my two cents on my preferred games that i played with Atari2600 when i was a child ? 

Well, I thought all was good, so now I'm a bit confused ...

• 5 months later...