IGNORED

Why did Coleco Scrap the original SGM in favor of the ADAM?

Prosystemsearch

2 hours ago, RGDiRocco said:

I think we should keep this Round & Round alive and build the module for next years big Anniversary!!!!

SGW2021.gif

DK Wafer.gif

I really, really wish this had become a thing bitd.  Adam was cool but I wasn't into computers back then.  Coleco would have ruled the land with this...

2 hours ago, RGDiRocco said:

I think we should keep this Round & Round alive and build the module for next years big Anniversary!!!!

SGW2021.gif

DK Wafer.gif

Cool, this is the first time I see this picture. Thanks for sharing. But isn’t the anniversary in 2 years? Unless you are talking about that other SGM. In that case, yes, we will be celebrating soon. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, opcode said:

Cool, this is the first time I see this picture. Thanks for sharing. But isn’t the anniversary in 2 years? Unless you are talking about that other SGM. In that case, yes, we will be celebrating soon. :)

Well, that "other" SGM ain't too shabby either!  Has it been 10 years already?  Fantastic!  

6 hours ago, RGDiRocco said:

SGW2021.gif

DK Wafer.gif

Buck Rodgers the Supergame, Donkey Kong the Supergame, Donkey Kong Junior the Supergame, and Zaxxon the Supergame were all released for the Expansion module #3 ADAM computer. Back in October of 1983 the Expansion module #3 ADAM computer cost $600 and the standalone ADAM with a built in ColecoVison cost $800. The ADAM computer became the Supergame module instead of a dedicated lower cost ColecoVisoon SGM for $200. We now have the OPCODE SGM that has a improved sound chip for the ADAM and ColecoVison (and more memory for the ColecoVision owners that do not have a ADAM computer). So the OPCODE SGM is better quality then the planned SGM by Coleco, since the Coleco version only added more memory with a wafer drive and did not offer a improved sound chip.

There was a Coleco employee that leaked a unreleased version of Donkey Kong Junior the Supergame with all 5 screens, plus a unreleased Subroc the Supergame that some how ended up in public domain back around 1985. I wish someone would port over Smurf the Supergame, Gorf the Supergame, and TimePilot the Sueprgame to the ADAM computer or the OPCODE SGM using a 256KB size cartridge. I always wanted to play Smurf the Supergame, Gorf the Supergame, and TimePilot the Supergame. However maybe the original prototypes have been lost forever.

With the OPCODE SGM sound chip someone could develop a homebrewed talking Gorf Sueprgame or Smurf Supergame. Those would be my two favorites with a hall of fame screen. TimePilot the Supergame would be cool also.

Edited by HDTV1080P

9 hours ago, HDTV1080P said:

Buck Rodgers the Supergame, Donkey Kong the Supergame, Donkey Kong Junior the Supergame, and Zaxxon the Supergame were all released for the Expansion module #3 ADAM computer. Back in October of 1983 the Expansion module #3 ADAM computer cost $600 and the standalone ADAM with a built in ColecoVison cost $800. The ADAM computer became the Supergame module instead of a dedicated lower cost ColecoVisoon SGM for $200. We now have the OPCODE SGM that has a improved sound chip for the ADAM and ColecoVison (and more memory for the ColecoVision owners that do not have a ADAM computer). So the OPCODE SGM is better quality then the planned SGM by Coleco, since the Coleco version only added more memory with a wafer drive and did not offer a improved sound chip.

There was a Coleco employee that leaked a unreleased version of Donkey Kong Junior the Supergame with all 5 screens, plus a unreleased Subroc the Supergame that some how ended up in public domain back around 1985. I wish someone would port over Smurf the Supergame, Gorf the Supergame, and TimePilot the Sueprgame to the ADAM computer or the OPCODE SGM using a 256KB size cartridge. I always wanted to play Smurf the Supergame, Gorf the Supergame, and TimePilot the Supergame. However maybe the original prototypes have been lost forever.

With the OPCODE SGM sound chip someone could develop a homebrewed talking Gorf Sueprgame or Smurf Supergame. Those would be my two favorites with a hall of fame screen. TimePilot the Supergame would be cool also.

I think Collectorvision is developping a Gorf super game .  no?  not sure.  But i think i read that somewhere.

I'm still amazed that Gorf, Smurf, and Time Pilot super games have not surfaced in some form or another.  There's evidence that all of them were either in development or completed so they're not vaporware, but with all the ADAM stuff that has been leaked over the decades, nothing but a screenshot or two of these exist.  

1 hour ago, phattyboombatty said:

Absolutely no doubt that we would all love to see these come out. :) And your statement speaks volumes considering you are the protos master general around here!

Only when it comes to Atari systems.  I dabble in other systems, but I'm by no means an expert.

4 minutes ago, sn8k said:

If I had a time machine...... I would use it to save Sega and Coleco. I would have shown them both they would fail. Why they failed and how not to fail.

Edited by 128Kgames
  • Haha 1