IGNORED

Using an Emulator with original Zipped Files??

doctor_x

So I have a bunch of archives that appear to be just zips of true archives that came from an atari - not converted to a single image or anything like that.... 

I see a couple of (old) programs to manipulate image format to image format, but I am not finding anything to take a directory of files and convert that to an Image.

I am using Hatari as my emulator and though possibly I could just mount a directory as a hard disk - but it still appears that its wanting to mount a hard disk IMAGE....

Any help would be appreciated... 

doc

6 hours ago, doctor_x said:

I am using Hatari as my emulator and though possibly I could just mount a directory as a hard disk - but it still appears that its wanting to mount a hard disk IMAGE....

According to the manual:

"GEMDOS HD emulation can be used to provide a folder on your host computer file system as hard drive(s) to the emulated Atari. Select Browse to choose a folder, or Eject to disable the drive(s) again." 

There is more on the subject in the manual. 

What popular emulators support is: floppy image files - ST, MSA and even some copy protection holding formats (not interesting here).

Steem can handle them from ZIP archive too. Not sure about Hatari. That would be about ZIP files ?

If you want to deal with ordinary files from some archive - just usual thing: unpack somewhere and access from that DIR. Total Commander will make it easier than Win Explorer.

Now, the concrete task, putting content of some folder in floppy image file - don't know about it. And I don't think that it an be automated in most cases. Opposite yes, even as batch process (worked on it recently). What if sum of file sizes is bigger than floppy (image) capacity ? Or is much less ? Some user assistance is necessary . 

" ... mount a directory as a hard disk - but it still appears that its wanting to mount a hard disk IMAGE...."

That's not correct. You need to use GEMDOS drive option in Hatari settings. There you choose which DIR of your PC/MAC will be C for emulated Atari.  And that's simpler for usage than real hard disk emulation (ACSI/IDE) with image files.

So, you can do it all with Hatari (or Steem): set Gemdos drive, create or get some empty ST floppy image files, and copy in them via emulator.

FloImg can serve too, and even no need to have floppy drive in machine.