IGNORED

Dodge 'Em - glitch?

angusjake

I have had this game for years and it is still great - I just introduced it to some people who had never played it and they had a riot with the two player version.

I have noticed a glitch on this game and am wondering if others have also - on game 1, one player mode, when the computer has 2 cars pursuing you, at a certain point the screen goes blank and the game is gone. I have noticed this crash many times and it always occurs at the same point in that part of the game. Any other Dodge 'Em freaks who have noticed this problem? I play it on a 7800 but I think it also used to occur on my 2600.

What board is that? I can't remember anything like that - but, since I suck now, perhaps it's in one of the later boards that is now past my reflex ability.

Bummer thing is, I USED to know a pattern (When I was, like, 10) that'd get you thru the first 5-6 boards EVERY TIME. Damned if I can remember it now.

What board is that? I can't remember anything like that - but, since I suck now, perhaps it's in one of the later boards that is now past my reflex ability.

Bummer thing is, I USED to know a pattern (When I was, like, 10) that'd get you thru the first 5-6 boards EVERY TIME. Damned if I can remember it now.

Sheesh...I can't even figure out how to get past the second board. I really suck at this game.

From what I've read, the game actually ENDS like you lost your last life... I am just trying to confirm it. My high score is only around 700 or so, so I've never experienced this firsthand. I always start to screw up when the second crash car appears.

The game rolls back to zero after 999 or so and does end. This can be done with enough practice on the easy settings on game 1. But the game difficulty switches can be set to make the game MUCH harder by making the computer cars go very fast and start at different positions. Keep at this game and you will find it very fast, fun and addictive - especially in 2 player mode. It is a classic example of how a fun game doesn't rely on graphics but gameplay.

The crash I have noticed occurs on game 1, when there are two computer cars against you. It always happens at a certain spot and the screen just goes dead and the sound off. It is quite predictable but you would have to play a lot to notice it because it only occurs when the two computer cars go in a certain direction. When I have time I will set out the exact sequence but it sure looks like a programming glitch to me.

From what I've read, the game actually ENDS like you lost your last life... I am just trying to confirm it.  My high score is only around 700 or so, so I've never experienced this firsthand.  I always start to screw up when the second crash car appears.

Yes, the game ends just like you lost your last life. I believe you are allowed only five rounds per life. I need to check my memory to be sure.

Max score is 1080, I do remember that.

According to ClonesSpy there exist two quite different binaries (#0+1 vs. #2+3).

0  1  2  3

0 Dodge 'em (Atari) (PAL) [p1][!]································   · 99 48 44

1 Dodge 'em (1978) (Atari)·······································   =  · 48 44

2 Dodge 'em (1978) (Atari) [a1]··································   =  =  · 78

3 Dodge 'em (Atari) (PAL) [!]····································   =  =  =  ·

So maybe both versions behave different.

• 14 years later...