IGNORED

Xbox Series X

Cobra Strike Down

10 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I don't even think it's 60. I believe I saw 41 at Wikipedia, which amounts to 39 original Xbox games for us in North America when we subtract the PAL exclusive WWII tank game and GTA: San Andreas (Putting the original Xbox disc in just triggers the 360 remaster to download).

For now I believe the official line is that the Xbox and Xbox 360 backwards compatibility initiative is finished. The focus for the team is on making sure Xbox One software, including the existing backwards compatible line, are working as they should on the Series S/X.

They've said though that in time, they may revisit adding to the backwards compatibility catalog.

It's only 35 out of about a 1000  XBox games in Europe and 557 out of about 2085 XB360 games. Doesn't sound like true backwards compatibility to me at all when games need to be worked on to be BC and I really don't see how people see that as a major +.  Hopefully the SS and SX are truly BC with the 1(S) and 1X

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HammR25 said:

I'm getting the Series X at release because of loading times.  People around here seem to bitch about loading times a lot.

and some people will get it for the box (ha ha);

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-retail-box-appears-online

xbox-series-x-retail-box.jpg

later

Edited by negative1

So apparently the name of this new console is actually just Xbox

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/its-confusing-but-microsofts-new-console-generatio/1100-6482047/

which means that the names of Microsoft's consoles, in order, are Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One -> Xbox.

Okay. If that's what they want...

On 12/17/2019 at 9:17 AM, Atariboy said:

Microsoft has clarified that the next generation platform is simply called Xbox, with Series X being the particular version of that model that was unveiled. 

On 12/17/2019 at 2:18 PM, Prosystemsearch said:

[citation needed] over here

On 12/17/2019 at 8:29 PM, Austin said:

51 minutes ago, Agamon said:

Why are everyday joes too dumb to figure out console names, but not smartphone names?

Isn't it the same thing? 

You hear - "I want the new iPhone!" "I want the new Samsung!" "I want the new Google!"

Not - "I want the iPhone XR" or "I want the new Google Pixel 4a"

People just use the name of the platform rather than the exact console name unless they have to make a distinction.

I've heard gamers refer to their systems as "Ataris", "Nintendos" and "Segas" until each company came out with different models (ie. 5200, SNES & 32X).

So when someone says "Xbox" or "Playstation", always assume they mean the current system unless they refer to certain models like the 360 pr PS4...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

They should be forced to get name approval from a committee of retro enthusiasts and preservationists to ensure proper and clear referencing in ten years when it gets even more difficult to separate the X box series X with the X box 1 X and the the X box one from the X box 1 and the Xbox with the X box.

One Xbox One X Box.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked the official website for the first time and it seems that it will support "thousands" of games from all previous Xboxes. This makes me kind of interested, but judging by what has been said in this thread about playing original Xbox games on the 360, I'll wait for a while to see how well it works. Hopefully it will be better this time. I see Panzer Dragoon Orta there in the background of the webpage, so that's a good sign.

45 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I just read an article that states that the S and X require the proprietary SSD to play new games. The SSD expansion is $220 so that makes the Series S almost pointless. You would end up spending less money to get the X in the long run.

Yeah, that's a really interesting decision if true, especially with the weaker specs of the S, so at that point you'd end up paying more for a weaker system and lose the ability to play discs. Better to get the X and get everything.

You have the URL, by the way? Interested in reading it.

Semi-disregard, as I've found an article that seems to say this. Not sure about reliability of anything unless it's directly from Microsoft or one of the well-known places like IGN or what have you, but it works, I guess.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

3 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I just checked the official website for the first time and it seems that it will support "thousands" of games from all previous Xboxes. This makes me kind of interested, but judging by what has been said in this thread about playing original Xbox games on the 360, I'll wait for a while to see how well it works. Hopefully it will be better this time. I see Panzer Dragoon Orta there in the background of the webpage, so that's a good sign.

only games that are backwards compatible will work.

There are only a few original xbox games, hundreds of 360 games, and all the xbox one games that will work.

later

Edited by negative1

8 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I just read an article that states that the S and X require the proprietary SSD to play new games. The SSD expansion is $220 so that makes the Series S almost pointless. You would end up spending less money to get the X in the long run.

A standard USB external HDD can be used to store Series X games, but you would have to copy a Series X game to the internal drive to play it. A standard external USB drive can be used to launch any backwards compatible game. I already have a 6TB external HDD on My Xbox One. I plan on moving that to my Series X when it comes in November.

The 1TB proprietary expansion drive is pricey, but it is comparable to what you would pay for a 1TB Micro SD card for the Switch. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I just heard that many people bought up Xbox One X's and S's thinking they were the new ones. There's going to be a lot of disappointed kids this Christmas when they get another Xbox One. lol

Parents are always clueless about videogames systems, how is this any news.

wii wii u, nintendo ds 3ds, at least sony just numbers the ps, ps1 2 etc, but

the psp was a mess, with vita and psp go etc.

later

I'm somewhat more sympathetic this time since even as one that's knowledgeable about modern console gaming, I can clearly see that the Xbox Series X name is awfully similar at first glance to Xbox One X. 

Not hard to see how someone rushing to secure their preorder could screw it up. Especially someone less informed such as a parent buying an expensive Christmas present.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Parents are always clueless about videogames systems, how is this any news.

wii wii u, nintendo ds 3ds, at least sony just numbers the ps, ps1 2 etc, but

the psp was a mess, with vita and psp go etc.

later

I leaned about that firsthand in 1996 when I got a PS1 for Christmas instead of the N64... this was back when adults still thought any game console was a "Nintendo". 

They returned the PS1 and got an N64... 6 year old me was not ready for PlayStation or 3D games in general but I feel Nintendo made it easier for kids to get into 3D gaming. I had only played 2D games up til then. 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 11:22 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

Backwards compatibility on the 360 was a mess and is nothing like how well it works on the Xbox One. It's rock solid on the One, and it's expected that it will be handled the same way on the Series X|S. Many games will even load faster and run smoother than they do on the 360 itself, making it the ideal way to play those games.

The biggest issue with the current backwards compatibility method is the limited selection. There are a lot of games compatible, but there are undoubtedly going to be personal favorites that didn't make the cut.

Reference: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

• Like 1