IGNORED

Xbox Series X

Cobra Strike Down

20 hours ago, jhd said:

I am not in the market for a new console, so this is purely an academic question, but will the Series S and the Series X both play the same games?

I get it that the Series X has better graphics, is faster, etc., but has any software yet been announced that will only run on the Series X?

Not yet.

later

• Thanks 1

I've read that some of them are getting too hot & smoking but I think that's not true at all.

If it is somehow (I cant see how) then...? 

edit: That video shows it sitting first on a wood frame bench. Looks like they are  feeding it smoke.
Edited by cimerians

The difference between the S and X is the graphics output... I don't see MS coming out with a Series X exclusive anytime soon as the consoles just released.  Thinking back to the XBox One and XBox One X... there was never an X Exclusive there either so I don't think they will do something like that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Disc drive issues, potentially?   

That sucks, of course, but what's funny to me is the first twitter (I think) comment where the guy says "never had issues with XBox at all before.  ?  OG Xbox was plagued with drive issues, if I understood correctly.  360 had the RROD.  

My original 20G version of the xbox 360 died after 10 years, due to the drive, not RROD.

I got a slim black after that (for free), and its still working as my go to gaming machine now.

I have an xbox one also, but don't use it as much.

later

• Like 1

The drive on my Series X doesn't click like that, but it whirred loudly, but only while installing Yakuza for some reason. The disc looks fine. I think my drive is okay. It was normal for every other game.

The new Xbox discs are basically just Xbox One discs that act as a key to download the Series X version. The amount of data that gets installed off the discs is very small. And the installs take forever because each is near or exceeding 100 gigs from the Network. Hopefully this will change with time. And they make this sound like a benefit calling it the "Smart Delivery" system.

• 3 weeks later...

people are paying double the retail value on most auctions:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/street-price-playstation-5-xbox-080135811.html

PlayStation 5 and the latest Xbox consoles are fetching a premium on resale on eBay Inc (NASDAQ: EBAY), in excess of double their retail price, according to the Verge columnist Sean Hollister. 

What Happened: Hollister said he averaged the final sales price of a hundred PS5s — which retail for $499 — to arrive at the street price of $1,024 for the disc edition of Sony Corporation’s (NYSE: SNE) console.

The digital edition, which retails for $399 has the street price of $990 by the columnist’s arithmetic. 

Microsoft Corporation’s (NASDAQ: MSFT) Xbox Series X with a retail price of $499 is being sold with a hefty price tag of $835 and the Series S unit is on sale for $471 even though it retails for $299.

Why It Matters: Hollister notes that PS5 discs and digital are almost on sale for the same price and that people are making purchases of the consoles for the sake of buying them and not for included freebies. 

The scalping of the units is unlikely to end anytime soon, as per Hollister.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Agamon said:

Idiots and their money are quickly parted.  It's one thing to jump on a purchase for something that is limited in stock, but spending that much money so a new shiny can sit under your TV until there's something decent to play on it some day is quite the flex.

this happens for almost every new microsoft console, and same with sony.

this is not anything new.

later

19 minutes ago, Agamon said:

Well, yeah. of course. There's a sucker born every minute, is P.T. Barnum quote, and he didn't say that yesterday....

If i had money to burn, why would i care what you think about it.

If its something i want, and enjoy, and i use it, why not.

personally, i have no use for the series s/x, so i wouldn't pay that much.

but if i really wanted it, i would be bidding also.

later

4 hours ago, negative1 said:

If i had money to burn, why would i care what you think about it.

Good question. I was just making an observation, not sure why you're taking it personally.

I just find it odd, is all.  People can light bricks of money on fire, for all I care. I just think that people that are careless with money and people that have a lot of it are few.

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Agamon said:

Good question. I was just making an observation, not sure why you're taking it personally.

I just find it odd, is all.  People can light bricks of money on fire, for all I care. I just think that people that are careless with money and people that have a lot of it are few.

I'm not taking it personally.

I just wonder why you think that its just carelessness (or being idotic as you put it) driving the need to get these, as opposed to many other factors.

there's a lot of collectors on here throwing tons of money at atari collectibles, and others out there buying mario brothers

cartridges for hundreds of thousands of dollars. they're all a part of that group that has too much money, and or too much

passion to get something they want.

so its odd for me to think that paying double or whatever for a console is a bad decision.

because apparently there's plenty of people that do want to own them at those prices.

later

Edited by negative1

On 12/7/2020 at 3:43 PM, Agamon said:

Idiots and their money are quickly parted.  It's one thing to jump on a purchase for something that is limited in stock, but spending that much money so a new shiny can sit under your TV until there's something decent to play on it some day is quite the flex.

Well things changed today with Cyberpunk. The game looks unplayable on last gen base hardware. I think this game is going to make a lot of people upgrade when they can.

1 hour ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Well things changed today with Cyberpunk. The game looks unplayable on last gen base hardware. I think this game is going to make a lot of people upgrade when they can.

I'm hearing the base consoles aren't doing so well with it... I'm downloading and installing the update for my One X and will see how it performs.  I will upgrade to the Series X next year some time but I'll be ok playing it on my One X until there are some games I want on the Series X.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:44 PM, King_Salamon said:

I'm hearing the base consoles aren't doing so well with it... I'm downloading and installing the update for my One X and will see how it performs.  I will upgrade to the Series X next year some time but I'll be ok playing it on my One X until there are some games I want on the Series X.

How is the update with Cyberpunk on your Xbox One X? I'm curious how well it runs on it. Thinking of getting it, I own a Xbox One X too.

42 minutes ago, Zeptari1 said:

How is the update with Cyberpunk on your Xbox One X? I'm curious how well it runs on it. Thinking of getting it, I own a Xbox One X too.

I am loving the game on my Xbox One X... it plays really well in my opinion.  I have about 5 hours into the game... would've been more time but I share the console with my son and he gets his game time on there as well (not Cyberpunk but his other games).  There was a second update on Saturday morning but I haven't noticed any changes.  The game is so new to me still and I'm still learning what I'm doing.

Overall, it's been a treat to play.  I haven't noticed any bugs or screen/graphic issues... I do notice that sometimes the screen does a little scramble but those odd moments are intentional I believe.

The learning curve of the controls is giving me a bit of a challenge... while you can make the combat a shooter, you can also tackle things using your hacking skills and I find that a lot more fun (almost like being a magic user in a D&D style RPG).  I do appreciate the challenge as it's a new game for me (not sure how the Witcher played and whether there are similarities between the two games) and other than the Fallout games, this is the only action RPG I've gotten into in the past few years.

I'll have to see how the game performs over the next 10-15 hours.  Might have a better answer for you.  :)

52 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

I am loving the game on my Xbox One X... it plays really well in my opinion.

I'm so happy to hear that. From what I just read online turning off a lot of the extra graphic effects smooths out the frame rate.

54 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

Overall, it's been a treat to play.  I haven't noticed any bugs or screen/graphic issues.

This gives me hope. So nothing game breaking yet. Good news again.

59 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

you can also tackle things using your hacking skills and I find that a lot more fun (almost like being a magic user in a D&D style RPG)

This sounds like how I play games like Deus Ex.  Lots of hacking! ? ... and stealth. 

I look forward to your next post after you get some more time playing it.

I'm pretty much sold on the game now. I have the week off between Christmas and New Years. I think I'll pick it up then. That way I can get a lot of uninterrupted play time.

Cheers