IGNORED

1050 drive advice

xrbrevin

That is a classic head alignment problem.  There is a 'Master alignment' disk used to align the heads so all drives write the tracks in the exact same position on the disk.  If the head gets out of alignment it can read it's own created disks but cant read other disks that are aligned properly.

So basically you need to get the drive re-aligned.  That will take an alignment disk that is hard to come by.  Someone here might have one that can help.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

thanks, although i believe the head alignment disk cannot be copied or recorded.

do you know if tuning involves moving the stepper motor or adjustment of components?

It would involve adjusting the band connecting the head to the stepper motor,  to do it properly requires an alignment disk and oscilloscope but there are other methods. The one below is a different mechanism, but should be possible to adapt the procedure to work with the 1050.

https://classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2010-06-28-alignment-tandon-m100.htm

I would recommend converting all disks currently readable by this drive to ATR before adjustment, as they will likely not be readable by it afterwards.

Even if the track 0 sensor passes the test, it only means it is working, without an alignment disk you can't

tell if it's properly aligned

I recently had a failed track 0 sensor, I replaced it, but it wouldn't read disks other than those it formatted,

lucky for me I had a second drive and created a diag disk and used it to align the sensor, I know it's not

perfect, but at least it reads all my disks, even genuine purchaed copies of software, so can't be

that far out.

Edited by TGB1718
update
  • Like 1

its sorted! it was a track zero issue - even though it passed the official test, i recalibrated it from scratch and now its reading as it should.

many thanks to all who assisted!

i now know that when using the diag disk, it is best to use the individual test rather than rely on the multi-sequence of tests.

panic over, drive is good ?

• Like 2