IGNORED

What was your #1 cartridge from the old days?

Omega-TI

For my it is certainly XB.

However, that was $$ big bucks.  So I didn't get it until 83-ish   used for like $50 

I was able to borrow one most of the time prior to getting my own.

It was first Parsec and then Moon Patrol.

Then the local store started closing out...  So I got LOTS of carts for <$5 each. 

• Like 1

I was a kid in the old days, so my choices would've been games:

Alpiner

Adventure

Tunnels of Doom

Parsec

Bigfoot

Slymoids

Zero Zap (you know I was going to say it).  ;)

My dad, on the other hand, did a lot of programming so here's what I suspect would be his list:

Editor/Assembler

Mini Memory

TI Extended Basic

Disk Manager II

Adventure

Tunnels of Doom
Parsec

TI Invaders

• Like 1

Not exactly a cartridge, but does go in the cart slot, so MG GramKracker!  Now of course, FinalGROM99.   I just wish I could easily convert my GK GRAM creations to the FG99.  When I first got the TI Christmas 1982, I was traveling too much to use it, along with the TI Speech Synthesizer, Parsec, TI Invaders, Terminal Emulator II, Touch Typing Tutor, Tunnels of Doom, and the Adventure module, but my son was programming TI Basic games from the 99'er magazine I had also subscribed to, but no way to save them, so I got the TI cassette cables, a Radio Shack cassette tape recorder, and some cassettes.  He proceeded to have a Blast, and today he's the manager of an IT group for a large construction company.  The TI PEB with 32K, RS-232, TI SSSD controller and drive came later, along with the MG GramKracker!

RETRO Bill

• Like 1

Definitely XB. My whole world changed the first time I ever witnessed a sprite in XB. Excluding this I guess it would come down to Parsec, Return to Pirates Isle, or Tombstone City (Tombstone was the only cartridge I had for the first 3 months so it got hammered).

Special mention to Hopper and TOD!

• Like 2

I hate these questions because they're SO hard.  I did a fair amount of programming in XB, and used it (as apparently did others) to load practically everything else.  But beyond that, it would be a toss up between Donkey Kong and Popeye if we're talking third party, which were both great ports.  If we're talking TI only, it's still a tie - between Parsec and TOD.

• Like 2

TI Extended BASIC to begin with. Then came the Maximem, a module simulator (like Gram kracker), into which you could load more or less any module. One at a time, of course.

After getting the p-code card, my programming was mainly done without any particular cartride, as none is needed by the p-system. But I used the memory inside the Maximem as a RAM-disk.

• Like 1

In my grade school days, it was TI Extended Basic, to program ( or fail to write games cause I couldn't make them fast enough )

In my middle school days, it was Editor/Assembler, to load games ( usually cart to disk conversions - hours of Donkey Kong, as I was never any good )

In my high school days, it was TI Extended Basic, to kick off FunnelWeb and everything else from there ( usually school work related ). At this time, the cart would have been loaded into a Mechatronics GRAM Karte.

-M@ 

• Like 1

For me it was ALWAYS the "SuperCart" because with it in place I could run my copy of the 128K OS & Myarc XBII+ and any of the E/A loaded programs. Using the "FunnelWeb" program system I had access to all sorts of third-party programs; we in the PATIUG had the E/A5 versions of 90% of the TI cartridges, so you never had to change the "Supercart". I also had a Myarc FDCC, so I could also load E/A3 & E/A5 programs from TI Basic.

The other two cartridges I kept in my 'widget' were the Microsoft Multiplan cartridge and the PLATO cartridge; that covered 99.9% of all the software that I ever ran on the TI99/4A.

Edited by eric-bray
Correct grammar
  • Like 2

Extended Basic, without question. Although, Disk Manager II was pretty much a required cartridge as well.

But, if we're talking games, that's a much harder topic. For the longest time, Chisholm Trail was the 1st game cartridge we had and I played the heck out of it. My favorite was probably Centipede with the Wilco trackball. Of course, many other games, Parsec, TI Invaders, Bigfoot and MBX Baseball were games that were regularly played.

• Like 2

It had to be Extended Basic for me.  That got me into programming and I still use it today to write "quick get it done" routines when I'm working on projects.  Then it was the E/A and I was hooked with assembly.  The GramKracker eventually put them together for me; still use the GK today.

• Like 4

Definitely RICH basic! Oh back in the day I would -...ok...I'm kidding here..but I loved that SXB I thought it was Soo cool.

Then I found assembly..but by the time I got into assy, I had a bunch of life changes until 2017 when I got my TI console and assembly again! Good times..but it could have been a RXB..