IGNORED

Composite mod WITHOUT removing RF

Adam 12

I have a 4 switch Vader that I would very much like to mod to have composite av output.

However, every guide, and every video I've seen on how to do so involves destroying the RF Output functionality.  Id like to keep this as well, as some of my TVs don't have RCA Jack's on them.

Is this even remotely possible?  What would happen, for instance, I I made the same connections, but didn't remove the RF Box?

Any suggestions?

If it simply isn't possible, I suppose I'll leave it factory, for the sake of increased compatibility.  Every TV I have has a coax input...  I can live with the noise if I have to...

Any suggestions or insight is appreciated.  I really don't know how these things work, and I'm interested in learning.

• Like 1

It might bog down the video generation stuff in the TIA or similar. You could wire in a switch if simply doing the mod in parallel doesn't work. Switch between the mod and original RF.

I seriously HATE those "mod guides" that tell you to cut up and destroy the existing RF stuff, parts, or traces. And then recommend you discard it as you won't ever want to go back. Fucking bullshit on that! You never want to do that. And you always ALWAYS want to mod in a such a way that you can go backwards with minimal fuss.

Like desolder and remove and place in baggie the parts they tell you to cut out and mangle. You desolder the RF box, not cut it out..

Well, the concept has been proven before.  But on the other hand, the modulated audio is also present in the video signal so maybe it's a bit more complicated.  Also, you'd want a separate amplifier for the direct audio.

So here's a board design that has both video and audio filters.  Maybe I could assemble it and report on findings.  Of course anyone else is welcome to be a guinea pig too.

Audio in should be connected directly to TIA audio out.  Maybe on the pull-up resistor there.  Video in should be connected to the video input on the modulator.  +5, gnd, and outputs should be self explanatory.

Note that component values would need to be adjusted for PAL systems.

AtariRF.zip

Install something like a UAV board and leave RF alone - it’s totally independent. No need to cut any traces or remove any components, though you will still need to make arrangements to get the composite and/or S-video signals out of the system either with RCA jacks or a pigtail cable of some sort. The least obtrusive way is to pull the RF cable off the internal connector and just run your A/V pigtail out the back of the case through the gap used for the stock RF cable. 

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Install something like a UAV board and leave RF alone - it’s totally independent. No need to cut any traces or remove any components, though you will still need to make arrangements to get the composite and/or S-video signals out of the system either with RCA jacks or a pigtail cable of some sort. The least obtrusive way is to pull the RF cable off the internal connector and just run your A/V pigtail out the back of the case through the gap used for the stock RF cable. 

D'oh, I forgot about that one.  For that matter, isn't there a sticky post somewhere that lists the various mods and their pros and cons?  If not, shouldn't there be?  Quick search didn't turn up anything obvious.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/tba-ultimate-atari-video-uav-board-for-atari-2600?_pos=4&_sid=a620f9464&_ss=r

A solution has been acheived!  I think...

Sille me never thought of searching here for UAV until just a bit ago.  I read through a few threads, and found lots of information and a link to purchase them!

I'm still not ENTIRELY sure they work on 4 switchers.  Or how to connects audio to it.  But I can now research further!

Thanks everyone!!

On 12/19/2019 at 3:43 AM, Adam 12 said:

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/tba-ultimate-atari-video-uav-board-for-atari-2600?_pos=4&_sid=a620f9464&_ss=r

A solution has been acheived!  I think...

Sille me never thought of searching here for UAV until just a bit ago.  I read through a few threads, and found lots of information and a link to purchase them!

I'm still not ENTIRELY sure they work on 4 switchers.  Or how to connects audio to it.  But I can now research further!

Thanks everyone!!

Trust me, it does. I have one in my daily-driver 4-switch Woody, which I installed about 18 months ago. There’s a lot of individual wires involved (much like installing into a 7800), but it works great. :)

• 3 years later...

I also hate to remove the RF modulator of any console. Unfortunately do not know, how to mod 4 switch model without removing parts But there is a easy way on 6 switch and Jr to keep functional RF modulators and not removing anything from the board :) They have one IC hex inverter called CD4050BE . here are you the mod for Jr. it applies for the 6 switch too. Only have to find the best resistor volumes for NTSC and PAL

https://www.console-corner.de/videomod.html

here are my values for the NTSC ,also those for PAL do not apply on a jr with 128 integrated games, there they should be another ones.
here you are some examples of my jr mods :)

compositemod.gif

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG