IGNORED

Program Recorder

Mehridian Sanders

Ok, so I scored a tape program recorder for 15 + shipping. The motor works for it. Haven't tried it put yet. I also picked up a bunch of wrapped D90 blank tapes. The new 4/a came with the program recorder connection. Can I dub programs onto the tapes from computer or ?

What would you do with it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes and no.

Here's what I do:

Grab a copy of VLC, and play the tape's .wav file with the volume turned all the way up past 100% to 130%. Connect the tip leads on the record and play connectors, since there is an open ground loop on the TI, and there is a ground noise hum unless you connect them together.  Load the tape into the TI's memory with OLD CS1, then connect the program recorder, and save it from the TI.  This assures that proper output levels are sent to the recorder.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2019 at 1:38 AM, wierd_w said:

Grab a copy of VLC, and play the tape's .wav file with the volume turned all the way up past 100% to 130%. Connect the tip leads on the record and play connectors, since there is an open ground loop on the TI, and there is a ground noise hum unless you connect them together.  Load the tape into the TI's memory with OLD CS1, then connect the program recorder, and save it from the TI.  This assures that proper output levels are sent to the recorder.

ok. So I just got some Wumpus time in and it was grand. Now I have this program recorder. So to connect Mic and Speaker Connection tips, just connect the shielding from each line to one another?

I sacrificed a monaural headphone jack type double-male-end patch cable for this purpose.

I cut the end off, then stripped the wire a good length.  I could then wrap one loop around the barrel of the record lead, and wrap two loops with the other wire over the two tips.

Such patch cables can be obtained at walmart, last I checked.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

Well found a Skips Music near my house. Best buy did not have it either. So Amazon it is.

For something so simple as a mono patch cord?   What is this world coming to?   Its kinda sad really.   Where is a Radio Shack when you need one...

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 11:29 AM, wierd_w said:

Close, but you still need that tip lead to go into the headphone jack of the computer.  to accomplish that, I used that stripped patch cable.

If you will excuse my gawd-awful mspaint drawing here..

image.png.e1211f727734b407991f976e5cd9aab0.png

is this connection solely for "PC to Program Recorder" or is it also for "TI-99/4a to Program Recorder"?

On 12/29/2019 at 10:38 PM, DavidC said:

For something so simple as a mono patch cord?   What is this world coming to?   Its kinda sad really.   Where is a Radio Shack when you need one...

Inside your neighborhood HobbyTown USA, and select cities.  Seriously, there is still a Radio Shack in DeFuniak Springs, FL.  Bit of a schlep, though.

It does not look like much, but if you scroll to the bottom of << THIS PAGE >> you can see a small corner that looks like it still has a few original packaged Radio Shack items.

radio-shack.png.d8a72c2eec0e3d5e6a845ff62f70d372.png  Myth or Reality?  Check your area and see what comes up.

There is one in Portland, OR too, but this 15 month video looks rather depressing.  I cannot imagine it's any better.

5 hours ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

is this connection solely for "PC to Program Recorder" or is it also for "TI-99/4a to Program Recorder"?

TI to PC.  The saving to the recorder should only be done by the TI. The ground loop issue is addressed internally in the recorder, from what I can tell.

The TI really belts out the signal, while the PC kinda just half-asses it, even with volume turned up to 130%.  Saving from the Ti assures proper output levels.

TI to PC.  The saving to the recorder should only be done by the TI. The ground loop issue is addressed internally in the recorder, from what I can tell.

The TI really belts out the signal, while the PC kinda just half-asses it, even with volume turned up to 130%.  Saving from the Ti assures proper output levels.
Ok somehow I thought I n.v would be soldering this.. lol just wrap. Ok.