IGNORED

CF7 or TIPI

hloberg

I recent got a real PEB for my TI99, but the PEB is so huge and heavy I don't want to dig it out and set it up every time I use my TI99. The place where I have the TI99 is a desk shared with other systems. So, I want to get a CF7 or a TIPI. Once had a CF7 but had to sell it when I moved. Now I'm rebuilding up my systems again. I like the CF7 simplicity but the TIPI looks to be very powerful and flexible. what are you thoughts on which system?   

Opinions will vary, but the way I see it...

If you can locate one, the CF7 is less expensive and if you want to print with a legacy printer, it's the best option for that aspect as printing with the TIPI remains elusive.  It's been reported that compatible CF cards are a little tricky, but the guys here can direct you to the right ones.

The TIPI is more expensive, but has much more capability, except for printing.  It's super easy to transfer files to and from, has Internet capability with some extra supported options at some websites.

Both the TIPI and CF7 support emulated DSK1-3 and supply 32K, the TIPI with a required add on.  The TIPI also adds to this with emulated HD capabilities, which does not require you to swap out drives like on the CF7. 

Being opinionated, and having prior experience with the NANO-PEB, and now the TIPI, I would recommend the TIPI.  But like I say, opinions vary.

• Like 1

For me (and everybody's going to be different) what it comes down to is that the NanoPEB offers the necessities I actually use literally every day, while the TIPI offers novelties which, while cool, I don't actually have much use for. 

NanoPEB:

- RS232 (I use this a lot - you might not use it at all)

- Three disks in a removable format

- File sharing via CFHDX, so you don't have to meddle with physical media once installed. 

- Fairly Cheap

- Small footprint (this does matter quite a bit, in my physical setup)

TIPI+32K:

- Tremendous extensibility

- Cool emerging development in new and unexplored territory

- Mouse and web connectivity offer remarkable possibilities 

- Fairly expensive

- Larger footprint

So for me, the TIPI is a legitimately brilliant futuristic concept car I'm not sure I really need, while the NanoPEB is a boring early 2000s stick shift sedan which just happens to have all the features I actually want and use. 

So I have absolutely no difficulty at all seeing what's so great about the TIPI.  And I even feel a bit odd about the fact that my NanoPEB's currently connected, and my TIPI's sitting on the desk beside it.  Like I'm leaving the Tesla in the garage and driving my 2001 Honda Civic.  But if it does what you need, it does what you need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

For me (and everybody's going to be different) what it comes down to is that the NanoPEB offers the necessities I actually use literally every day, while the TIPI offers novelties which, while cool, I don't actually have much use for. 

NanoPEB:

- File sharing via CFHDX, so you don't have to meddle with physical media once installed. 

- Fairly Cheap

TIPI+32K:

- Fairly expensive

- Larger footprint

So for me, the TIPI is a legitimately brilliant futuristic concept car I'm not sure I really need, while the NanoPEB is a boring early 2000s stick shift sedan which just happens to have all the features I actually want and use. 

So I have absolutely no difficulty at all seeing what's so great about the TIPI.  And I even feel a bit odd about the fact that my NanoPEB's currently connected, and my TIPI's sitting on the desk beside it.  Like I'm leaving the Tesla in the garage and driving my 2001 Honda Civic.  But if it does what you need, it does what you need. 

Bingo, I think you hit it on the head. the bells & whistles of the TIPI are nice but I need a solution that is small,  easy to move and requires little maintenance since I swap computers on the desk I use. plus I got a lot of the bells and whistles having a PEB which you can attach a TIPI to eventually when I want to do more in depth computing. Don't get me wrong, I think the TIPI is a very nice device and I might get one when/if arcadeshopper has another run of TIPI boards for the PEB. that will essentially give net access and HD capabilities to the PEB (and more).  OK @arcadeshopper when/if you get in another run of nano-peb I'll buy one. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

NanoPEB:

- Fairly Cheap

TIPI+32K:

- Fairly expensive

- Larger footprint

Very well written.  And yes, if it does everything you need or want without further expansion it's a good option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Actually it's pretty easy to print from the pi. Or your pc from the shared drive on the pi. Anyway depends on what you need.

I'd LOVE to be able to print directly from my TI to my printer.  For instance my schedule in RemindMe! or from Edit80 when I want to make revisions to batch files or BASIC code for debugging.  Nothing beats paper for seeing, marking and finalising things.

If I could get some easy to follow instructions on how to set it up to that I'd be ecstatic.

I use to be one of the first to jump on the new tech for the TI & 9640 Geneve, so the TIPI came along just too late for me.  Now, I'm hanging on to just a single TI-99/4A with F18A, USB up-grades, TI Speech Synthesizer, and a NanoPEB or two; also my full SNUG TI-99/4P system, as I will continue (for as long as I'm able) doing my simple software development (TIB+ & X4th99) using MAME emulation.

RETRO Bill

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FDOS said:

I use to be one of the first to jump on the new tech for the TI & 9640 Geneve, so the TIPI came along just too late for me.  Now, I'm hanging on to just a single TI-99/4A with F18A, USB up-grades, TI Speech Synthesizer, and a NanoPEB or two; also my full SNUG TI-99/4P system, as I will continue (for as long as I'm able) doing my simple software development (TIB+ & X4th99) using MAME emulation.

RETRO Bill

Oh, I can so relate!  Back in the 90's, PC stuff was advancing so fast it seemed like every 18 to 24 months your stuff was obsolete junk, but as an early adopter you were into it for too much to junk it, so you rode it out as long as possible.

With the TI stuff, I'm in the same position as you, I've upgraded too many times, so now my P-Box system, even though it's large, will be my final system, because it's expandable with new tech without having to start over.

I'm sort of racing against time, so I'm hoping I can do my final upgrade to the console sooner rather than later.  Of the three items I want, one is available, one is in development and one looks like it's going to be vaporware.

• 2 weeks later...