IGNORED

Introducing - interleaved charactersets - any game screen is possible (almost :) )

6 hours ago, emkay said:

For example. This happened when I adjusted the Mod file instruments in RMT from the "real" Note to always "A" ... but there still had been differences..

Then there was the RMT detuning wich is up to 2 pitches different from the low to the high notes. Adding some tones to build a bridge from the start to the end.

Then there have to be done a lot volume adjustments... to get that.

Always wanted to ask you how do you produce those videos of yours with those changed pokey sounds ?
I only see youtube videos, think I've never seen code (xex file) ?
Do you edit rmt songs somehow or change something inside altirra debugger or what ?

And here we are on the other missing plot.

For development of games , a PC Tool is needed to create procedural graphics on the PC.

In theory an Emulator that is fed by an Editor. Allowing some drawing features and short Assembler routines , to get quick first results.      

And guess if we have custom built pc tools ? :)

Edit gfx using photoshop or whatever, one click and you see results running in emu... Music, levels, sprites... You'll see :)

14 hours ago, popmilo said:

Sounds like an awesome little SCADA system you have there :)

It looks like you wouldn't need lot of speed on this one (lot's of objects moving around). In that case better go with simple bitmap if 4 colors are enough. Or go for 4+1 color text mode and build screen with that simulate bitmap method (one charset for 3 charlines for example. 8 charsets total for 40 wide screen). You get that nice 5th color bit 7 switch that you can use to highlight pieces of your interface (leds, switches etc...).

Please let me know if you ever build that hw and need help with sw !

I work a lot with PLC's and all kinds of industrial and home automation. I did plan to use c64 for that purpose though ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Since I was thinking of using a mouse, the pointer would need to be taken care of. And it would be cool to take it a step up from SCRAM and having animated widgets (motors, compressors, analog pressure gauges, ect.), and a good variety of colored objects. So I was thinking it would benefit from the mode as described. Of course I'll know far more when and if I actually take this on and make it happen.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mytek said:

Thanks for the feedback. Since I was thinking of using a mouse, the pointer would need to be taken care of. And it would be cool to take it a step up from SCRAM and having animated widgets (motors, compressors, analog pressure gauges, ect.), and a good variety of colored objects. So I was thinking it would benefit from the mode as described. Of course I'll know far more when and if I actually take this on and make it happen.

You planning on running a massive chiller system from the A8 by chance?

23 hours ago, Stephen said:

Emkay - can you collectively go fuck off and just leave this place please?  You contribute absolutely nothing but vitriol and negativity.  Seriously dude, just fuck off and don't come back.  nobody will miss you.

I've got him on ignore, but I just had to see what you were reacting too...he would have, and maybe did, say the same thing about Space Harrier while it was still being written...but somehow we've got a fantastic version of SH on the Atari and it's the best 8-bit version ever and even better than many 16-bit versions! I agree with you 100%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mytek said:

I'm very interested in this project of yours, as I'm planning on doing some work with robotics using 3-4 AtariLab Interfaces to interact with the outside world and something like what you are suggesting just might be right up my alley for my robotics with Atari!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

I'm very interested in this project of yours, as I'm planning on doing some work with robotics using 3-4 AtariLab Interfaces to interact with the outside world and something like what you are suggesting just might be right up my alley for my robotics with Atari!:thumbsup:

I was thinking of creating hardware far beyond AtariLab using actual linearized thermocouple ICs (+/- 200 C), and at least a few 10-bit or higher A/D converted inputs for whatever. Then there would be the usual generic digital I/O for actuating things via opto-isolated solid state switches. Ideally it should be an SIO device with a corresponding device handler, and the possibility of daisy-chaining to add additional I/O channels. Of course it would be a lot of work and experimentation to take it to something finished. Right now its a pie in the sky proposition :) . I'm thinking this won't even begin to come together until I retire, which is still a little over 2 years away.

Why do this?

My background is in cryogenic ultra cold refrigeration design. BITD, around the mid 80's I built a very crude version of this for testing units. So just like I resurrected the TransKey, a 1990's device, I'd like to do the same for this old idea. But only if the fun factor is the driving force behind it.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2020 at 10:46 PM, mytek said:

If you want to have lot's of moving objects then you need sprites.
If it's mostly in-place animations, then imho better simple bitmap. Drawing different frames on static places (probably even character resolution aligned) is much easier than soft sprites.