IGNORED

What's the most powerful system ever, in its day?

Zap!

9 hours ago, enoofu said:

Also don't forget Dreamcast was also somewhat success as both a Arcade (NAOMI) and console system, though it had far better success with NAOMI. Even Nintendo launched Nintendo VS. System as a multi-board arcade system based on NES.

Namco's System 11 was based on the PlayStation as well.

On 12/17/2019 at 8:28 PM, adamchevy said:

I’ve heard the GameCube was quite a bit more powerful than the PS2 and the Xbox. And that Nintendo decided to never compete on this level ever again. Also, I think the Saturn could technically stomp on its competitors as well.

I don't know about Xbox, but it seemingly has better visuals than the PS2 most of the time. I've recently gone back and revisited a bunch of GameCube games (via my backward-compatible Wii) and it's pretty surprising to me how good many of them look. MarioKart Double Dash has a lot going on, but the characters and tracks are all really detailed. Same for Super Mario Sunshine and LoZ Twilight Princess. 

Also if we wanted a list of systems with games that look surprisingly good for their specs, Nintendo's recent consoles all go up that list. The Wii U had some gorgeous games, and the Switch does as well. That's probably more a testament to Nintendo's art direction than anything else, though. 

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

AES carts aren't ports of the MVS, they are the exact same same games.  They were neither decent nor perfect- they're the exact, same games.  MVS conversions to AES carts use the MVS chips, hence it was cheaper for some AES carts like Metal Slug to be converted from MVS.  You said Neo Geo wasn't the first but what was then?  The examples you gave were computers, not game systems, unless I'm wrong.

NES for example PlayChoice-10 and Nintendo VS. System Arcade machines, people forget that the NES was very advance in 1984

Sega Genesis was basically a budget System 16 Arcade system in 1985, released in 1988.

FM Towns Marty was a home console version in 1993, for FM Towns. Was the only 32 bit CPU based home system till Xbox.

3 hours ago, enoofu said:

NES for example PlayChoice-10 and Nintendo VS. System Arcade machines, people forget that the NES was very advance in 1984

Sega Genesis was basically a budget System 16 Arcade system in 1985, released in 1988.

FM Towns Marty was a home console version in 1993, for FM Towns. Was the only 32 bit CPU based home system till Xbox.

So if I read about the PlayChoice-10 correctly it played NES games in the arcade, which is the opposite of what the Neo Geo did.

If you're saying the Genesis played arcade perfect ports of the Sega System 16, having owned a Genesis when it came out I can tell you close, but no cigar.

And to quote you FM Towns Marty (which I know nothing about) even if it did play arcade perfect ports came out in 1993, which is 3 years after the Neo Geo AES.

24 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

What do you mean by this exactly? There were several consoles with a 32 bit CPU.

I think he means people consider it the first 32-bit CD-ROM based system (at least according to Wikipedia.) Apparently it had a 386sx, and I'm wondering how I'd never heard of it before.

Yeah, virtually every console released in 1993 or later used a 32 or 64 bit CPU though other architectures than X86.

Also Wikipedia points out that the Marty has a 386SX with a 16-bit data bus just like the CDTV or Sega CD. It means if we want to find the first console that had a full 32 -bit bus all the way, we need to wait for the Amiga CD32 possibly?

4 hours ago, deepthaw said:

I think he means people consider it the first 32-bit CD-ROM based system (at least according to Wikipedia.) Apparently it had a 386sx, and I'm wondering how I'd never heard of it before.

Take a look at http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/

chances are you missed a few more.

FM Towns Marty

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg90-fm_towns.htm#page=reviews

it's alright, it had LucasArts adventure games, a few decent arcade ports and Scavenger4 but in the end I wouldn't sweat it, its "computer" roots are evident as it comes with a floppy reader and a PCMCIA port for pete's sake, and some games do require floppies either as a boot mechanism [anti-piracy] or as a save mechanism, let alone a mouse to play those adventure games in comfort.

Not really a fan of it and I do have one tucked somewhere, bad sprite RAM that I have not had the time to replace yet, since my son was born I have no time for this kind of time consuming side activities (fixing old clunkers), I was so happy 2 weeks ago I had the time to build a stereo-to-mono audio mixer in the Scart to Composite cable of my GX4000 (it only had mono out, don't ask), I was almost crying, it's a whole lot of just 2 resistors soldered together but being back in the hobby even if just for 20 minutes ... priceless ... then I tried it with Eerie Forest and it was all worthy ... for a minute:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, deepthaw said:

I don't see any way the PS3 was "light years" ahead of the Xbox 360, and I'm unaware of any traditional processors of today that the Cell beats out. 

Here's a recent video on the power of the Cell.

• Like 1