IGNORED

Best CRT for retro gaming?

The PVM / PBM hype is real, assuming you can score one at a decent price. Barring that, I'd look for a set that accommodates component and s-video connections, if at all possible. I have a 32" Toshiba that was made probably in the early 2000s that still looks pretty good (altho' it's blown away by my PBM) and has s-video and component, so I'm getting the best out of most of my old consoles. I also have some kind of scary magnetic wand thing that probably gives you cancer of the fingertips each time you use it that helps zilch out dark spots out of your TV, so if you get a TV that's good other than a dark spot in the corner of the screen, it might be worth looking for a cheap degaussing wand on eBay or whatever.

On the other hand, I have an extremely cheapo 13 inch TV that I had as a teenager hooked up in the other room for all of my RF systems, and that's perfectly adequate for those systems. I don't think you need to put too terribly much into worrying about the specific type of TV so much as correct / best cabling and the like. 

There are so many PVM's to choose from. Luckily, I got my beautiful 20" for only around $120, as I mentioned several posts back.

But I also have a 12 or 13" PVM that I got for free. One of my friends worked in broadcasting years back. When he got married, he was cleaning out his stuff from his parents house, and found an old PVM. His mom saw him putting it in his car and was like "You're not throwing it out?" He said he was giving it to his friend and she said "Why would he want that? Is he insane?" :D

Anyway, here they are in action. I have the 20" hooked up to a SCART switch. The small one operates my Apple IIGS in RGB, and my Commodore 128 in S-Video.

AtariMegaSTE.jpg

AppleIIGS.jpg

• Thanks 1