IGNORED

What is your favorite version of Lunar Lander for the TI?

Omega-TI

17 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I'm afraid I'm going to need a bit more direction than that... I've never done a cart previously although I do understand the general principles ?

Of course, I've just given that direction so many times I'm kind of happy to let people go use the simpler tools. ;) 

My video walking through the creation of a copy cart in Classic99 is lost, but basically the steps are:

1) determine what memory addresses you need to save and restore - ie: what addresses are going to be loaded into RAM? Classic99 supports one range from the high 24k, one range from the low 8k, and one range of VRAM (all are optional).

2) determine the start address of the program

3) determine whether the program needs the Editor/Assembler routines loaded

4) determine what type of cartridge image you want to make (usually these days it's a 378-based ROM copy cart)

With this information in hand, start Classic99, then open the debugger. Set a breakpoint on the first instruction of your program, then load it normally. When Classic99 breakpoints, in the debugger dialog select the menu option Make->Save Memory as Program (note you can't select this unless the emulator is breakpointed!)

image.thumb.png.9dd141fbf8cae5d25e9ea6a6c3b4b78f.png

Change the Save Type to the type of cart you want to make (the default there is usually right), then enter the ranges you want to save. The low address will always be even, the high address will always be odd. ;) Then enter the Start address, enter a Cartridge Name, and click "Include E/A Utilities" if you need them (this will activate the range of low memory if needed and offer to load it for you - usually at this point you will say NO to the offer. You can also set the low memory range yourself instead of checking this). Finally, many programs expect that the console has set up the keyboard, but this may not happen before a cartridge program starts, so usually clicking "Initialize Keyboard" is recommended. This just adds a dummy call to KSCAN.

Then hit Build and it will save out the memory image as a ROM cart, which you can load and test. Debugging a failed cartridge is usually trying to work out what you missed. ;) For instance, we had a weird one recently that took me a couple hours, that turned out to be the software never setting its own workspace - cartridges start in GPLWS which was causing issues for this title.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tursi said:

Of course, I've just given that direction so many times I'm kind of happy to let people go use the simpler tools. ;) 

I am saving this in my vault of essential knowledge! :) I actually keep a OneNote folder with all important TI info (usually programming related) for easy access from anywhere.