IGNORED

Learning Assembly

CamTheBridge

• 1 month later...

Is there a limit to the size of a compiled assembly display fixed 80, object file? As I'm looking at a size of 144 and after assembly all appears Normal, but I tried to run the file and now just get illegal tag. 

I'm assuming I hit that threshold 

Edited by GDMike

6 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Is there a limit to the size of a compiled assembly display fixed 80, object file? As I'm looking at a size of 144 and after assembly all appears Normal, but I tried to run the file and now just get illegal tag. 

I'm assuming I hit that threshold 

Be careful about file fragmentation especially if you are writing out an object and list file to the same device.  If you can, save the object file to a separate empty diskette or drive path.  If you are saving to a TIPI path, that should not make a difference.

Beery

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Guess what..the ramdisk stopped working...rt after I posted.

I've since reinstalled ROS and I'm good again...

Yeah..I should have known.. I've been working with the NanoPeb the last day or so and I've been using the ramdisk most of the time except lately, so it was the culprit.

All good now...

I've learned to make a couple of Backups at EOD.

Edited by GDMike

Don't discount what I described above.  Seems like I may have seen a note from Tim about the possibility the bitmap could get corrupted with a highly fragmented file in some version of the DSR.  That may be what happened with your ROS.  I'd be curious to know if when you were doing the assembly process, if two files were being saved at the same time?

Beery

• Like 1

Hmm .all I can say is I've got everything jammed into the ramdisk. That's like 8 or 9 source files pushing to 1 end Dfixed 80 file. 

But I've been having problems with the ramdisk, on loan from Owen. As sometimes just looking at my computer the wrong way will result in a corrupt Ros.

Actually, since November I guess I've reinstalled ROS 6 times, with originally I was pulling the memory Chip to dissipate the memory, but lately it's just a reload of ROS to fix it.

So half the time I was compiling, but another half was just, I Dunno, spike of some kind, as I'm power off seemed to corrupt at least three sessions.

So I started leaving the machine on but that didn't last long as I'd get a power disruption in the middle of the night, so I went back to shutting down at EOD.

But then it ran pretty good last month and I hadn't had to reload ROS until today. And today was just weird as the ROS wasn't even suspect until I shut down and I pulled connections(external) and reseated the first time and tried running the compiled app, with same results, illegal tag. So I shut down and did a second reconnect and recompile. And then I found I lost the ramdisk.

I've gotten to where I can recover in about 5 mins, so I did that recovery and wholla BACK to recompiling and the app was larger than previous reported and it ran just fine.

Now, granted it's an old ramdisk and it's an old peb box with original power supply, and funny that were talking about this because the last two days I've been moving my data over to NanoPeb. But I can only troubleshoot half my code since the other half requires SAMS. So that's my purpose of using ramdisk otherwise the NanoPeb is almost as fast as the ramdisk as far as compiling, using RAG.

Oh, and I never create a list file and never use compression.

Edited by GDMike