IGNORED

New TI99/4A Owner... video of my experience using 1st time

AtariSociety

Howdy folks... new to TI99/4A and excited to be here. 

Long time Atarian recently gifted a nice TI99/4A. 

Decided to video my experience using for the 1st time.

Apologize for using the word TIE instead of T.I. in the video but now I know.  ?

Hope you enjoy if you like seeing others excited about new gear.

https://youtu.be/RYVDtG78XIg

I look forward to reading through the threads here and learning more about it.

TJ

Edited by AtariSociety
  • Like 5

Welcome! Some comments on your video. The Slik Stik joystick is actually an Atari joystick, so that is why it isn't working properly. Atari and TI use the same DB-9 plug but the internal wiring is different. That said, you can get an adapter that lets you use Atari joysticks on the TI-99/4A. Those adapters also permit you to plug in two joysticks at once for two player action. My favorite adapter is available here. Also, it's a bit of a bummer that your computer has version 2.2, which prevents you from playing third party cartridges. Doh! Shoot me a PM if you'd like any additional games, as I have some extras laying around. I got into this computer a few months ago and have been loving it! Hope you enjoy it, too. Cheers.  

13 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Welcome! Some comments on your video. The Slik Stik joystick is actually an Atari joystick, so that is why it isn't working properly. Atari and TI use the same DB-9 plug but the internal wiring is different. That said, you can get an adapter that lets you use Atari joysticks on the TI-99/4A. Those adapters also permit you to plug in two joysticks at once for two player action. My favorite adapter is available here. Also, it's a bit of a bummer that your computer has version 2.2, which prevents you from playing third party cartridges. Doh! Shoot me a PM if you'd like any additional games, as I have some extras laying around. I got into this computer a few months ago and have been loving it! Hope you enjoy it, too. Cheers.  

Thanks all for watching my video.  I enjoyed my experience trying the TI99/4A the first time.

I for sure will take folks advice about getting some upgrades.

The joystick adapter sounds like a good 1st choice for me.  I have plenty of Atari joysticks.

If I enjoy the TI99 experience I may get the silver and grey TI99/4A one day.  Does that one come with different than 2.2?  Or is it hit N miss on that?

sixersfan105, I will shoot you a PM here and see what you have for carts.  Thanks!

TJ

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AtariSociety said:

If I enjoy the TI99 experience I may get the silver and grey TI99/4A one day.  Does that one come with different than 2.2?  Or is it hit N miss on that?

v2.2 is only present on the beige model and only on later production runs, if memory serves. I'll reply to your PM now.