IGNORED

What year did you get your 2600 for Christmas, and what games do you get with it?

John Stamos Mullet

I just remember getting Air Sea Battle and Combat for Christmas,so those two were our "packins" so to speak ?   We got one around a year or two after it released,so '78 or '79 I guess. Those trips to Montgomery Ward for school clothes one fall had me sneaking off to play Atari with the other kids at their demo station. It became a thing to go see the latest Atari games at that chain,I seriously had some great Air Sea Battle fun playing against the other kids my age. Good times.

Looking back now,the big ones were Asteroids and Space Invaders in the stores,those blew up big time. Lots of people knew these games from the arcades they visited,real big excitement for those. Atleast in my inner circle of family and school ground buddies they were anyways. The 1970's were an exciting time for video games,especially with the hobby being a newborn back then. We got to see how this crazy thing all started,were privileged really.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 3

1980 4Switch with Combat and got Space Invaders too Parents Bought me 1 game a week for a couple years 1st week Human Cannonball and dad wanted Bowling following week Him and I would play Space Invaders and Bowling to very late hours year later He wanted Video Pinball and he would play it to death  Great Times and do Miss them after he passed in 1996 we still played til  the end

• Like 2

Hi everyone

I first had the Magnavox Odyssey in 1972 and of  Course atari Pong.

Well in 1977 when they first came out my dad brought one home early on, and then hid it till Christmas...

I know we had Combat and I do recall Air Sea Battle. Anyways a really long time ago.

Also The Atari VCS/2600 was Great. Really loved it.

• Like 1

I didn't get one for Christmas, sadly. My first Christmas console was the NES, the year it came out. I got probably 15 games that Christmas. I don't remember what they all were. My Uncles had Coleco Combat, but it was broken by the time I knew about it. My next Christmas console was the Sega Genesis and  5 or 6 games for it. Sometime after the NES, but before the Genesis, I played a few 2600 games at a friend's house. I was hooked on Combat. I dug out the broken Coleco Combat and tried to fix it. I was too young to do it right, but I got it working enough to see it on the TV, but the controls didn't work right. After the Genesis I traded for a Magnavox Oddessy. It had probably 50 games and the Voice attachment. I played it for a while, but never really thought it was that great. The last console I got for Christmas was a PlayStation, the year it came out. I liked I so much that I stuck with Sony. I bought my own PS2 and PS3 and a PSP.  I did go back to Nintendo when the Gameboy Micro came out and bought a used GameCube too. I know this has been a long story, but it's almost over. A couple of years ago I got a job at a comic and collectables shop. I ended up with a few non working 4 switch 2600s and 100+ games. I got one console working perfectly after a recapping kit and an AV mod. Then I found a good deal an a 2600 jr and jumped on it. Even without modding, the picture quality was excellent. So I sold the 4 switch and bought a Harmony Encore.  Now if I just had someone to play Combat with...

• Like 1

I got my Atari in 1979 I think.  We got Combat with the console and also Street Racer and Video Olympics.  It was interesting we started off with paddle games first.  Thankfully 1980 proved to be a good year for owning an Atari because then we got Space Invaders, Circus Atari, Golf, and Adventure!

Edited by atarifan88

Christmas 1981.  I got Asteroids and Dodge Em.  The next day I got Freeway because the video store near me had an after Christmas sale. Both Freeway and Kaboom were $14 each.

The big twist:  I had asked for an Odyssey 2, so I was surprised Christmas morning with the 2600.  Now it wasn't a complete shock because I went back and forth between telling my parents I wanted a 2600 or an O2.  But my final decision had been the O2. And one time of many when my parents made a better decision than I did. It just hurt my ego a bit that it was video games, which I though I knew more than they did.

• Like 2