IGNORED

Anyone collect JUST for Jaguar? Or it's your main focus?

Rick Dangerous

Was wondering how many there are out there... Have thought about doing it.  Probably with Lynx as a handheld companion. 

Although i still have a pretty diverse collection; i would say Jaguar is my main focus and in the top three for systems I've invested in and regularly game on.

Do you think it would limit your gaming experience to just play/collect for jag? :) 

I kind of like the bastard stepchildren of the 90s, so I've got sets for the Master System, 32X, Turbografx, Saturn and Jag, and am working on Sega CD, CD-i and 3DO.  The good thing about collecting for the Jaguar is that there's still a bunch of new old stock from dudes like B&C Computervisions so it's easy to piece together loose games and there isn't that much demand, although prices still have gotten much higher than they should be.  All the Songbird/Telegames stuff make the parameters of a "full set" kind of fluid, but for me I just went for games that came out during the release window of the system (Cybermorph through to Fight for Life).  It's a fun system that I enjoy digging through since so many games are unsung and unique to the system.  Over the years I-War has surprisingly been my favorite, I love that cell shaded virtual spareseness and the music tracks kick ass. 

The Jaguar and Lynx are the only platforms I have complete collections for.  I have no desire to have complete libraries for anything else.  But I do have a decent game collection including tons of non-Atari stuff.  I generally like to focus on game series, like Castlevania, Doom, Zelda, etc.

I focus mostly on Jaguar. Complete cart collection(although BS is a repro?) and now working on a Jag CD.

I use to have a HUGE collection, complete NES(minus SE), complete SNES, complete Genesis, almost complete Lynx, plus near complete 2600, 7800, SMS, coleco, intellivision, DC, etc. etc etc.

Spent 35 years putting it all together.  It is looooong gone now, so I mostly buy Atari stuff now. Although I love a good Homebrew on any system.

I like playing on other systems.

RBI on NES, Rock'n Roll Racing on SNES, Micro Machines on PS1 & PS2, Downfall on VCS, Mario Kart on all the systems Mario Kart came out for....  :)

If I only had the Jag hooked up, it would limit my gaming enjoyment for sure.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1

If I only played on the Jag I'd probably just give up on gaming in general, to me it's a system to get if you've already got the heavy hitters of the classic era. I'd recommend a tg16/pce or Saturn (again, assuming you've got the more popular US systems) over the Jag, but if one is looking for unique titles, the Jag is fun to have around. Especially with the active homebrew community.

• Like 5

For a few years the Jaguar's been the main system I collect for, but it's definitely not my only system, or even the system I play the most.  I decided to collect for the Jaguar since it was one of the quirkiest systems I had growing up, I vaguely remember the commercials and got to experience a Jaguar kiosk with my friend at one of our local stores showing off AvP which looked awesome at the time.  It has some, if anything, interesting system exclusives and I do like the look / design of the base system (without the CD unit attached) and actually like the controller.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stage_1_Boss said:

The most recent pic of my Jaguar stuff the way I have it set up for now.  I do have the boxes and inserts for my system / cd unit and a few other things stashed.

20190417_061507.jpg

I like those water bottles, but I can not seem to pull the trigger on them.  Wish they were cheaper!

• Like 2

No, it's not my only collecting focus, but the Jaguar is my most prized collection by far. I consider it complete, and any homebrews are just extras. It's my favorite game system of all time, so I've put more effort in to making this an impressive collection more than any other console. My LYNX collection is pretty good too, but not complete.

My Jag is the prize of my collection.  Though I've only been slowly collecting for it.  I've been debating on whether I'd like to shoot for a complete set or not.  I've really been drooling over the Jag homebrews here at AA.  As far as my favorite three systems?  The Jag, SMS, and the Saturn are the ones I've been on the hunt for most as of late.  Even though I have all the NA Nintendo, Sega, Atari, Sony, Microsoft home consoles.

I'd say I'll have the highest percentage of Atari published games for Jaguar and Lynx with much less for 7800 and VCS but I wouldn't consider myself a real collector as I don't buy games I wouldn't play unless I find them dirt cheap (which is unlikely in Austria). I do have a Genesis and a PSP as well (with a handful of games each) but my main focus is on Atari 8-bits but even there I try to get stuff that interests me but don't try to go for a complete (or even boxed) collection. I have all the computers and some peripherals for each line but nowhere near everything. Collecting software for the 8-bits would be even worse with thousands of titles some of which are ultra rare. 

I have an attic full of all my old systems that I owned (Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, ZX Spectrum, N64, Jaguar) and then the ones I bought over the years at charity shops and car boot sales (Nes, Snes, Amstrad, C64, Megadrive, Sinclair QL) as well as the various games I have picked up cheap on car boots and some not so from ebay. I have concentrated more on the Jaguar in the last four years as that seemed like a machine I could gain a full collection of sealed games for as they are still in supply and were pretty cheap. I acquired most of the loose carts I wanted to play back in the 90s when I first bought my Jaguar for £5 and figured sealed games was a good option to collect as the price difference in 2015 was not much especially as Telegames in the UK had (back then) most of the original games all still sealed - the likes of Doom and Wolfenstein sealed were only £25 so it seemed if I wanted boxed games (having already got loose cartridges) sealed would be a better option for great condition. I have over the years sold poor condition boxed games and bought back sealed condition ones, I have sold sealed ones and bought them back cheaper - so over the last four years I have built a great collection that is now complete and it has not cost me the earth as I have traded my way up which has been a really enjoyable hobby. It has been a great hobby trading up and up until I have every game from the original releases all sealed - I know some people frown upon collecting sealed games, but I do think having sealed ones was a better option especially as all the Jag titles were so cheap (well in the early days of my collecting!) - any I want to play (and there are only a few) I had loose carts for, but even that seems pointless now with Saints SD card reader.

Hmmm...  Of all my systems, the Jaguar seems to be the Prima Donna in my setup.

I guess that qualifies me here for an entry in this thread. I spent probably the most money on it. Over the CD-i, 3do, Saturn, dreamcast, et al.

I have a dozen loose carts. Half are Homebrews. Viva Jagscene.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't call myself a collector but the Jag has been my main focus for purchases for a while.  I bought my Jag in the 90s at the tail end of it's commercial life and picked up a lot of stuff cheap at that time.  After a few years away from the system I've been catching up with the home brew scene.

The Jaguar does cover a lot of retro gaming bases: early FPS (Wolfenstein, Doom, AVP), platformers (Rayman, Zool 2, Flashback, Bubsy), shooters (Raiden, Protector, Defender 2000), 2D racing (Super Burnout, Powerdrive Rally), strategy (Syndicate, Theme Park), puzzle (Attack of the Mutant Penguins, Flip Out, Zoop), 2D Fighting (Ultra Vortek, Primal Rage, Kasumi Ninja), sports (Sensible Soccer, NBA Jam TE, Brutal Sports Football). 

I also like a lot of the Jag exclusive titles like Iron Solider 1 and 2, I War, T2K, Battlemorph, Skyhammer (plus several of those listed above).

Having said that not all the games have aged well.

The Jag was my only console, apart from Lynx and 2600, until about 2002 but, as much as I love it, I couldn't get by with just the Jaguar.  The call of survival horror games lured me to the PS1 (Silent Hill, Resident Evil etc), then Dreamcast (Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Carrier), then PS2, then X360.

Ultimately many of the Jags best titles are available on other, more mainstream retro systems for a lot less money which makes it difficult to justify recommending it to a new starter.

Where the Jag excels is the home brew scene.  Rebooteroids is up there with the best games on the system and the ST / Amiga ports from AA, Piko, Songbird etc are all worth checking out if you have deep pockets.

Long live Jaguar home brew! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've always had a Jaguar but don't and would never make myself exclusive to it, so to speak.

Unsurprisingly, my main passion is the NeoGeo. I don't own every retro console. My set up comprises of:

NeoGeo // PS2 // PS1 // DC // Saturn // MegaDrive // Jaguar // 3DO // GCN // N64

I own a decent amount for each. Due to the expansive libraries available, it shouldn't surprise you that my PS2 & PS1 collections are the largest in number. Just, so much amazing stuff.

I have 30 games (specifically) for the Jaguar now. I only have the stuff I legitimately like and enjoy playing. I offloaded a good many games (Carts) years ago just to trim down on stuff I didn't play or enjoy anymore.

FYI: Fighting Games, Shmups, Run n Gun & Racing Games are my favourite genres (I like scrolling beat em ups too) which is why I gravitate towards Japanese consoles and developers, mainly for Arcade (style) games.

I love the Jag & 3DO for the diversity it adds to my collection. It's cool to fire up Defender 2000 to divert after a few rounds of Mark of the Wolves and Alien Storm. Mix it up!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, ONLY for the Jaguar.

When I got my first apartment after moving out of my house, I don't even think I had my Atari 2600 with me. I didn't have any games since I sold most everything after graduating high school. But then with the South Florida $wap $hop, and it being the late 90s... I could pretty much collect every game system for pennies on the dollar, so I did.

This was quickly totally uncool when I'd invite girls over to my apartment, so they stayed relegated to the laundry room stacked in boxes. Slowly added stuff, but then years later... it wasn't until my wife was pregnant that I decided to get rid of pretty much everything.

I gave a ton of stuff away on here (for free, a lot of it), and sold a bunch of stuff on eBay.

I have a Saturn, a Dreamcast, an NES, and my Atari 2600. My wife and daughter play the Wii (still) now and then, but other than that, I have an Atari Jaguar. I don't collect for any of the other systems, but I do consistently buy every Atari Jaguar game, and that's all I'll likely ever continue to buy for.

I'm even thinking of unloading my Dreamcast and maybe even my Saturn.

We do have three arcade machines though... a Missile Command, a Galaga, and a multi-unit (700+ whatever games). I don't think I'll ever collect anything else, but I did buy the new AtariBox... if it ever comes out.

Only other thing I would SERIOUSLY consider buying, is an original Asteroids. Not the deluxe, but the raster version where it's all line drawn, in a totally restored cabinet. So many memories...

FamilyRoom_1.jpg

• Like 3