IGNORED

Request for IBM PC/Compatibles Subforum

bluejay

Although I don't have a PC or compatible computer, I found it quite surprising that the Classic Computing subforum doesn't have an IBM PC section. I'm starting to get interested in the PC and MS-DOS, and I think there is plenty of people interested to make an IBM PC section, ranging from XTs to Pentium class machines. Maybe sub-subforums for laptops and desktops too?

• Like 1

Didn't I read somewhere that Microsoft released a version of MS/DOS into the public domain?  If true, and if it could be included in the first message of the new sub-forum, it could go a long way in jumpstarting things.

Many of us have old slow PC's in closets and drawers not being used.  I myself have an old XP Class laptop that runs Windows like molasses in January.  If I could download and install MS/DOS on it, it would run like greased lighting and make a okay Retro-PC gaming platform.  But I can see some problems arising with things like like sound card compatibility and joystick recognition.  This is the oldest computer I have and it's been in a drawer for about 6 or 7 years and even then it may be to 'new' for any DOS drivers to exist for it.  Due to how many PC's of different makes and vintages out there, development of compatible drivers would probably be astronomically low.

Ports.thumb.jpg.f7dedaa376917adf840fc1378dcd9593.jpg

444057462_FrontSide.thumb.jpg.84c1e748a7aa1d77908414f220a3a432.jpg

1 hour ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

A lot of Win XP era PCs will still be too fast for DOS. To be on the safe side you'd want the CPU to not be faster than few hundred Mhz...

I mean DOS will run at Ghz speeds, but most games will be broken.

This is true.  Many of the early XT games would not run on my later boxes.  There was a point though when many games started to appear to sync with the clock and that was no longer an issue.  I wonder how many games that would be an issue with?