IGNORED

How do I "map" the TIPI drives?

pcoderdude14

Hey all! ?  Just wondered how come I cannot get TI Disk Manager 2 to "read" my TIPI drives?  I have made various attempts to use CALL TIPI to "map" DSK1, 2, and 3, and don't know what to enter , but, keep getting "error code 0" from TI DM2.

Could someone attach a photo with settings or give suggestions as to WHAT TO ENTER  into CALL TIPI Screen...also wondering about the "URIs"?

So far, I have  gotten to run --->MASS TRANSFER which is in the "NET" folder on my RasPi, with the command "CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.MXT") from TI BASIC. Also, got "CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET") to run as well.  Really would like to run some actual game files from XB though. ?

Also...  there is an "AUTO" "button" on the right of the "DSK1=" box --->should I enable this?  
s

Disk manager 2 does not work with TIPI mapped drives as I did not, and don't intend to, implement sector io.

Use DM2K for general browsing. 

Use Force Command for on system file management.

Use http://tipi:9900 for web based file management.

Or mount \\tipi\tipi windows share.

Use the documentation to learn how to map drives and what the limits are. Start here, https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/TIPICFG, then read all the other pages too. 

And there is the common TIPI users support thread here 

Lots of good reading.

-M@

Just now, jedimatt42 said:

Disk manager 2 does not work with TIPI mapped drives as I did not, and don't intend to, implement sector io.

Use DM2K for general browsing. 

Use Force Command for on system file management.

Use http://tipi:9900 for web based file management.

Or mount \\tipi\tipi windows share.

Use the documentation to learn how to map drives and what the limits are. Start here, https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/TIPICFG, then read all the other pages too. 

And there is the common TIPI users support thread here 

Lots of good reading.

-M@

Hey Matt!

I read that page, ...what are the others? or, where?

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

Easy way to get dm2k is CALL TIPI("PI.HTTP://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM2K")

I love that aspect of being able to run a program directly via a download from another site.  We are getting close to removing the PC as a required support device for the TI in acquiring programs.  Taking this to the next step would be to have a program that takes the program and saves it to the TIPI's SD card (essentially downloads it).

If something like this could be integrated into Stuarts browser, well you see where this could go.  I'm also thinking this could easily be a walk in the park extension for Force Command.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pcoderdude14 said:

Hey all! ?  Just wondered how come I cannot get TI Disk Manager 2 to "read" my TIPI drives?  I have made various attempts to use CALL TIPI to "map" DSK1, 2, and 3, and don't know what to enter , but, keep getting "error code 0" from TI DM2.

Could someone attach a photo with settings or give suggestions as to WHAT TO ENTER  into CALL TIPI Screen...also wondering about the "URIs"?

So far, I have  gotten to run --->MASS TRANSFER which is in the "NET" folder on my RasPi, with the command "CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.MXT") from TI BASIC. Also, got "CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET") to run as well.  Really would like to run some actual game files from XB though. ?

Also...  there is an "AUTO" "button" on the right of the "DSK1=" box --->should I enable this?  
s

Ok, now for some specific answers... 

CALL TIPI loads the TIPICFG program if no path is specified.  So docs for how to use the program that comes up are the TIPICFG docs.  In other words, CALL TIPI is shortcut for CALL TIPI("TIPI.TIPICFG")

So, to map DSK1 to the TIPI.NET folder, you can set the value in TIPICFG for DSK1 to NET 

Then you can use something like EA5 to load DSK1.MXT  instead of using the full TIPI path... But unless a program in hard coded to use DSK_ pathing, there is no need to map a drive to use it. 

The AUTO feature creates a temporary mapping whenever a PROGRAM image file ( such as ea5 or basic ) is loaded. This is handy for programs with data files. You can have no drive manually mapped. Enter XB. Then do a RUN "TIPI.MYGAME.LOAD" and DSK1 will be mapped to MYGAME until the next time you reset the TI ( go to TI title screen such as with FCTN== or power cycle ) -- With the AUTO feature, I rarely find value in manually mapping DSK paths. 

URI mapping allows shortening names for file paths like PI.HTTP://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI

Some TI programs cannot cope with the long names that a URL would require. So you can map devices like URI1 to HTTP://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI

Then you can do something like loading DM2K right from the internet witth ea5 using the path URI1.DM2K

URI maps do not simulate a drive, just read-only level 3 file access. ( OPEN, CLOSE, READ, LOAD, etc... )

-M@

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

I love that aspect of being able to run a program directly via a download from another site.  We are getting close to removing the PC as a required support device for the TI in acquiring programs.  Taking this to the next step would be to have a program that takes the program and saves it to the TIPI's SD card (essentially downloads it).

If something like this could be integrated into Stuarts browser, well you see where this could go.  I'm also thinking this could easily be a walk in the park extension for Force Command.

Force Command has an FTP client built in which can be used to fetch files and save them directly to the TIPI or other TI storage.  Maybe you want something more like WGET, that is less interactive, and uses HTTP(S)

-M@

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Force Command has an FTP client built in which can be used to fetch files and save them directly to the TIPI or other TI storage.  Maybe you want something more like WGET, that is less interactive, and uses HTTP(S)

Doh!  I guess I'm going to have to download the docs and study them in-depth.  I had no clue.  In hindsight I should have known, since you always seem to have thought of everything. ??

10 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Doh!  I guess I'm going to have to download the docs and study them in-depth.  I had no clue.  In hindsight I should have known, since you always seem to have thought of everything. ??

I don't recall making any Force Command docs downloadable... But it has a help command, and brief hints of changes are here: 

There is also a sub section of help once you are in the FTP client. 

-M@

• Like 2

Hey again...this is a little off-topic, but, I tried to run Stuart's webbrowser program and got this:

2019-12-15 22:36:20,030 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready
2019-12-15 22:36:46,212 TipiDisk    : INFO     Opcode 5 LOAD - TIPI.NET.INTERNET
2019-12-15 22:36:46,213 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Load, fileType: Sequential, mode: Update, dataType: Display, recordType: Fixed, recordLength: 0, recordNumber: 8198
2019-12-15 22:36:46,218 ti_files.ProgramImageFile: ERROR    Error reading file /home/tipi/tipi_disk/NET/INTERNET
2019-12-15 22:36:46,219 TipiDisk    : ERROR    responding with error: 7
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/tipi/tipi/services/TipiDisk.py", line 288, in handleLoad
    prog_file = ProgramImageFile.load(unix_name)
  File "/home/tipi/tipi/services/ti_files/ProgramImageFile.py", line 25, in load
    raise Exception("Invalid Program Image")
Exception: Invalid Program Image
2019-12-15 22:36:46,223 TipiDisk    : ERROR    failed to load file - TIPI.NET.INTERNET
2019-12-15 22:36:46,225 TipiService : INFO     Request completed.
2019-12-15 22:36:47,269 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Did I install it wrong?

Jt

Now I wonder if lynx will work over the telnet app...

In terms of eliminating the PC, aside from looking inside disk images the Pi should do anything and everything you could want.  A FUSE driver for TI disk images would solve that handily.  I just dont think any such thing is already existing.

We are getting way off topic, and solutions to these issues are in the TIPI Support thread. The FAQ on the wiki, or in the other documentation.

There is a tipi support thread here on Atariage that isn't hard to find if you've been to the tipi github wiki.  There should be plenty there about how to properly copy files and disk images to the TIPI.

-M@

Hey again...this is a little off-topic, but, I tried to run Stuart's webbrowser program and got this:

2019-12-15 22:36:20,030 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready
2019-12-15 22:36:46,212 TipiDisk    : INFO     Opcode 5 LOAD - TIPI.NET.INTERNET
2019-12-15 22:36:46,213 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Load, fileType: Sequential, mode: Update, dataType: Display, recordType: Fixed, recordLength: 0, recordNumber: 8198
2019-12-15 22:36:46,218 ti_files.ProgramImageFile: ERROR    Error reading file /home/tipi/tipi_disk/NET/INTERNET
2019-12-15 22:36:46,219 TipiDisk    : ERROR    responding with error: 7
2019-12-15 22:36:46,223 TipiDisk    : ERROR    failed to load file - TIPI.NET.INTERNET
2019-12-15 22:36:46,225 TipiService : INFO     Request completed.
2019-12-15 22:36:47,269 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Did I install it wrong?

Jt
Look at the file in the browser or dm2k does it say it is a program or df128. If it was a v9t9 format file it needs to be converted to tifiles to work. Also please post in the support thread

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk