IGNORED

Season 19 ~ 20 ~ 21 Holiday Break Homebrews

Vocelli

2 minutes ago, Rogerpoco said:

Dragons Descent:4871

???

!!!

Score jumped pretty dramatically after beating the first Dragon. There's a little more to the scoring in this game than I thought, I think.

2600DragonsDescent4871.png

Damn bro! You nearly tripled my PB!! Outstanding!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rogerpoco said:

Dragons Descent:4871

???

!!!

Score jumped pretty dramatically after beating the first Dragon. There's a little more to the scoring in this game than I thought, I think.

I'll make sure you see the vid eventually, tbh I'm still kinda scratching my head.

I'll take it, tho!!!

There is a hidden boss that you can find upon doing a specific set of things, and gives a big score bonus - my guess is that you found it :) 

This boss can be hard/risky to find, and the real challenge is to survive even after defeating it.  

I tried to give a few possible strategies for scoring, with tradeoffs for each, but bosses give a large bonus, and deeper dungeon levels give more opportunities for higher scores (treasure rooms, enemies being worth more points, etc.)

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Revontuli said:

There is a hidden boss that you can find upon doing a specific set of things, and gives a big score bonus - my guess is that you found it :) 

This boss can be hard/risky to find, and the real challenge is to survive even after defeating it.  

I tried to give a few possible strategies for scoring, with tradeoffs for each, but bosses give a large bonus, and deeper dungeon levels give more opportunities for higher scores (treasure rooms, enemies being worth more points, etc.)

OK-It seemed as if the baddies after beating the Boss were incredibly tough!

Well, that's a relief, I was afraid I had done something to glitch the game, I've done it before, haha! Accidentally.

Nice, can't wait to show this "happy accident" off-I'm DEFINITELY buying this game, I want it Autographed, Rev!!!

:)

• Like 1

I have procrastinated long enough for this block of games!

Scores

Pac-Man 4K: 13040 (bet I can do better!)

Seaweed Assault: 3290

Dragon's Descent: 5345

Commentary

Pac-Man 4K: Pretty cool! I agree with other comments that say the ghost AI feels a bit different, but it's fun to imagine if that was the version that came out originally vs what actually did come out on how that may have affected the industry.

Seaweed Assault: After reading about getting more points by destroying multiple pieces of seaweed with one shot, it made it much better for me. Yes, one mistake and you're done at the later part of the game!

Dragon's Descent: I went bold and took gems at every opportunity! I think I made it to the 5th or 6th (7th?) maze before I finally ate it. I made sure to find a gem on each level before attempting to find the exit. I only shot at monsters if I had to do so. I like the game's concept!

2600-19-20-21-pacman4K01.png

2600-19-20-21-seaweedAssault01.png

2600-19-20-21-dragonsDescent01.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AtariWarlord said:

In Dragon's Descent, how many shots does it take to slay the dragon?

It very much depends on if you've collected any Lamps from the treasure rooms.  Each Lamp increases your damage by 1 point, so even collecting just one will halve the number of shots you need to slay a dragon boss.  That said, the "base" hitpoints of the normal midboss is 12, and the final boss has 24.  It's -very- hard to defeat a given boss without powering up at least a little bit. 

A fully powered up player can take down bosses pretty easily, but you need to be careful as your shots are limited when powered up, and you must keep collecting lamps, either when they're dropped from enemies or found in treasure rooms, to keep that amount of power (you get a sense of how much fire breath you have in the meter on the lower lefthand part of the screen).  Fighting stronger enemies and lighting up darkened rooms means you can't just hold the fire button down.  Running out of shots means you'll revert to your weak default fire breath, which tends to be bad in deeper levels :) 

You can get a sense of any enemy's hit points by their color.  If they're flashing multiple colors, that means they have a lot!

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 5

Dragon's Descent:5939

Getting deeper into the Dungeon!

I am kinda stuck on this game, and it really was totally unexpected.

Put off all these until last week, saved this for last expecting to really dislike it, turns out it's fantastic!

Was really close to an exit or a Boss when I died, kinda choked.

2600DragonsDescent5939.png

• Like 4

As this competition reaches the end, I just wanted to post again thanking everyone who tried out Dragon's Descent, and Vocelli in particular for hosting the game in the High Score Club!  It can be a tough game, but it's been great seeing players figure out its secrets and strategies.

I have a version of the game in development for the Atari 7800 (the forum thread is here) - the extra power and memory on the 7800 has allowed me to add a few features, including music and (by far the most requested feature) the option for non-lethal walls!  There are development builds posted in the thread for those interested in playing-it's largely content complete, and mainly just needs to be tested on hardware.

Some parting hints for those who want to continue playing beyond this HSC competition-especially for those who get to the "late game" (level 8+):

--Darkness in level 8 and beyond comes much more quickly than it did in earlier levels, so you have added pressure to get through each maze level as fast as you can. If you've upgraded your fire breath with Lamps, you'll have to be extra careful how and when you use it (for instance, lighting a dark room) so that you don't run out.

--Likewise, your maximum possible health and firepower levels eventually cap around 7-8 points (you'll see either the score or meters flashing when these caps are hit).  This would be the perfect time to collect gems in treasure rooms, but keep in mind collecting a Lamp or Heart in a treasure room will still refill your fire or health to maximum, respectively, so picking an item in a treasure room can still be a tough decision, perhaps even more so than in earlier levels. 

--Bosses will still appear every 3-4 levels, giving you some of the single biggest score boosts. A fully powered-up fire breath takes them down pretty quickly, so you might feel vengeance for struggling with them in earlier levels!  

--If you can somehow defeat the Final Boss and get to level 8 -without- powering up (i.e. just grabbing Gems), WOW!  ?  Frankly, the bosses were designed so that this would be a very hard strategy to pull off!  The later levels should still pose a challenge, although it will likely become more a matter of endurance, like many arcade games at this level of play.  The walls are still lethal, even the normal enemies have up to 8 hit points, and it's still easy to slip up...even if you're this good, getting the odd Heart or Lamp might be handy to help you continue.  If doing so lets you live two more maze levels instead of one, you're probably coming out ahead at this point.  Higher scores await!

--Due to quirks of how the Atari 2600 handles numbers and the way mazes are generated, the dungeon levels should, theoretically, start looping around level 263.  I personally haven't been able to make it this far myself :)  However, due to other quirks of how the mazes are generated, picking a random maze will start you at one of around 65,000 possible layouts, so if you want a new maze you haven't seen before, you should be set!  

--On the other hand, you can always input a seed number (using the "Select" switch) to repeat a maze layout, if you -don't- want a maze you haven't explored before.

--The game has a few secrets and easter eggs in the game.  It looks like folks found some, but by no means everything!

• Like 2