IGNORED

Season 19 ~ 20 ~ 21 Holiday Break Homebrews

Vocelli

1 hour ago, Redmiller said:

I just have to say, HOMEBREW weeks, are not good for anyone that doesn't have them.

It took 3 weeks and 1 day for me to receive the order I placed with Atari Age in order to get the games. And then they didn't even have one of them.

So, after this 3 week set of games i am sure I will not make the cut. 

So, my suggestion, announce the Homebrew games weeks before we ever will play them, so those that want to try and acquire them, can. 

I have became VERY into actual "collecting" lately, I LOVE having my real carts.

I'm not shilling for them or anything, but this is why a Harmony is a necessity.

I got my Son one for Christmas(I've had mine a while), and he hasn't stopped playing 2600 ever since(...he's not really getting better yet, tho.).

There are just too many good games out there that you can't play on "real carts", even if you don't want to play commercial releases on it-the Homebrew Authors certainly deserve credit and $ for their work, but if they release the rom, they obviously don't mind of you play it.

50$. Just eat a minimal lunch for a week, you'll have the $!

(I am sorry about your situation, and DO understand).

I love collecting carts too but I can't expect myself to have all of them.

Remember, the High Score Club doesn't require players to have the cartridge for each game we play.  To do so would turn each overall season into a contest of who has the most games.

So, there is no disadvantage in the HSC by not having physical copies of the games for each week.

In the High Score Club, we often play games (homebrew or otherwise) that not all of us have, and sometimes we play games that few (if any) of us have.

Other options include:

Emulation, and

Harmony cart.

Also, it seems important for the fun and competitiveness of the HSC, that all players start each round at the same time, which I think is the main reason for not announcing the game/s before the contest starts. 

I understand there is other ways to play, but I am not that technologically minded, and I love playing it old School. Brings back the memories from childhood.

So unless I can play it on the actually 2600 with a actual Cartridge, I dont play it.

I do collect, and have over 300 different Atari games, but never fails that there is something I dont have that we end up playing. Seems like this Season has been full of them (not just the Homebrews)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Redmiller said:

I understand there is other ways to play, but I am not that technologically minded, and I love playing it old School. Brings back the memories from childhood.

So unless I can play it on the actually 2600 with a actual Cartridge, I dont play it.

I do collect, and have over 300 different Atari games, but never fails that there is something I dont have that we end up playing. Seems like this Season has been full of them (not just the Homebrews)

Sorry about how it affected you in the HSC, but if you picked up a copy of Dragon's Descent(like me!), you still "won", haha, it's a fantastic game!!!

If you are ever interested, PM me, I'll help you set up Stella and help you get it running-it's not as easy as ABC, but it's not too tough compared to some other EMU programs.

I DO understand, tho-oftentimes I'll be playing a game and level off, but as soon as I get hands on a real copy, I "get better", is in my head or something.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 11:35 AM, Redmiller said:

I just have to say, HOMEBREW weeks, are not good for anyone that doesn't have them.

It took 3 weeks and 1 day for me to receive the order I placed with Atari Age in order to get the games. And then they didn't even have one of them.

So, my suggestion, announce the Homebrew games weeks before we ever will play them, so those that want to try and acquire them, can. 

I guess it depends on the time of year.  When I ordered homebrews I used priority mail and I got them in 2 or 3 days.  This probably wouldn't have happened

if I had ordered them around the holidays though.    Since then I bought a Harmony Encore and no longer have to rely on getting games shipped. 

On 1/14/2020 at 8:35 AM, Redmiller said:

On 1/16/2020 at 6:36 AM, Atarian7 said:

I guess it depends on the time of year.  When I ordered homebrews I used priority mail and I got them in 2 or 3 days.  This probably wouldn't have happened

if I had ordered them around the holidays though.    Since then I bought a Harmony Encore and no longer have to rely on getting games shipped. 

Al also just added a bunch of new games to the store, which means there were a ton of orders to get through.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:39 AM, Redmiller said:

I prefer playing on real hardware too and have a collection of over 360 games, but I still have to turn to alternate ways to play some weeks. Stella is pretty easy to set up. If you don't want to go the emulator route, you could also look into an SD cartridge. Several people here have already mentioned the Harmony Cart, but there's also the Uno Cart, which is slightly less expensive and very user friendly (I don't have a Harmony Cart though, so I can't compare the two).

If you don't want to use any of these alternates, that's OK too, but you'll probably just have to accept that there will be weeks you won't be able to play.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...