IGNORED

Do Old Computer Modems Still Work?

bluejay

5 hours ago, jhd said:

My Grandmother had one of those white-and-gold monstrosities with the massive handset. It sat in her living room, and I am unsure that it was ever actually used. It was eventually disconnected for some reason, but it remained in place until we sold the house in 2001! 

My mom really wanted one to go along with the French Provincial bedroom set.  My dad bought it for her as a Christmas gift...maybe around 1978.  I just remember it being a big deal and everyone had to see it and hear it ring. 

Some things are best left in past. :lol:  I can't believe this was a thing...

146.jpg

• Like 2

On December 20, 2019 at 10:52 AM, bluejay said:

Can I still use old modems to get my old computers online? I've read multiple times that it doesn't work, but nobody really explained why. It'd be neat to be able to connect, like, my Apple //e to the phone line and bring some of my old computers to my friend's house, and try dialing each other's numbers, and see if we can "telecommunicate".

Oh, speaking of connecting computers, can I use my Commodore VIC-20 to talk to someone who uses, for example, a TRS-80 Color Computer? Or are the communication-system-language-thingies proprietary?

I use my modems all the time.  

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Dont be silly! That was a joke!!

Cellular uses a pretty gnarly encoding scheme to squash the audio, and probably wont allow even a 300 baud connect over it that way! 

Cellular, at least AT&T in the US, at LEAST supports 300 baud as I have tried and tested.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:39 AM, wierd_w said:

Well of course it doesn't!

You need ONE OF THESE to do that kind of thing!!

51mSXWZaaaL._SL1000_.jpg

Conveniently available on Amazon even! (ducks)

What are those even called? Earphone-jack-phone-thing?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 2:46 PM, Zap! said:

I really wish Magic Jack supported dial-up modem use, but it doesn't.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:33 PM, OLD CS1 said:

What happens when you try?

It's been a few years ago, but I was able to connect at 1200bps over magic jack.  It didn't work well.  Foreign characters would appear on a BBS prompt while sitting idle.  I seem to remember 300 bps working better.  I had a short list of BBS numbers at the time, and only one still supported 300 bps connection.  I need to setup the Atari ST and SX212 modem one day soon to see if it can still work.  :)