IGNORED

11 New Atari Homebrew games!

DVDfever

8 minutes ago, AverageSoftware said:

All those new games and only one 5200 title.  Come on guys, start making more 5200 games!

Baby Pac-Man is awesome, though.

I’m awaiting Scramble 5200 in my mail... sometime in the near or far future...

Edited by Giles N

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2019 at 3:22 PM, DVDfever said:

I just made a video here about some new releases including Scramble on the Atari 5200 :)

Cool Video! I drew three of the box art on your video Tyre Trax, Scramble and Baby Pac-Man. Im not a good programmer but I wanted to help out on on anything Atari classic and been drawing box art for Atariage for years heres some other OI drew over the years .

image.png

• Like 2

The definition of "homebrew" is a little fuzzy on the 5200.  You have actual new original games and ports, 400/800 conversions, and a slew of unreleased games from the crash in various states of completion.

So, we need to figure out exactly what counts as homebrew in order to answer that question.

Well, let's look at what's listed as homebrew in the AtariAge store:

Adventure II, Beef Drop, Castle Blast, Koffi: Yellow Copter, Pac-Man Arcade, Ratcatcher, RealSports Curling

Definitely homebrew

Castle Crisis, Scramble

New games, but were these first released on the 8-bits and then converted?  I don't really know.

Zaxxon 32K

8-bit port, at least according to the store page.

Xari Arena

Unreleased game from the 80s.  I think this was complete, and no additional work was done.

Tempest

Unreleased game from the 80s.  Unlike Xari Arena, this was not complete and work was done to complete it recently.

How many of these do you count as homebrew?  Depends on where your personal lines are.

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 6:03 AM, Atariboy2600 said:

Cool Video! I drew three of the box art on your video Tyre Trax, Scramble and Baby Pac-Man. Im not a good programmer but I wanted to help out on on anything Atari classic and been drawing box art for Atariage for years heres some other OI drew over the years .

image.png

That is awesome! I can't program, nor draw to save my life, but the Tyre Trax was certainly my favourite of the above lot because it reminded me of the Activision games from the 80s. I wanted all of those because the artwork was amazing. Alas, £30 was horrendously high back then when I was on little pocket money.