IGNORED

Wonderboy WIP - Favorite Port of All time

Yaron Nir

When blondey turns, the spite looks very square ie like there should be more sprite data either side..I know its a test and early, just sayin... ;)

Careful xxl has formed an attachment to the sprite :)  I think we best remind him its a boy :) or maybe he 'codes' that way :)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

When blondey turns,

when he turns?

or you mean when he throws the axe .

to me the walking,jumping,standing looks ok and has the right proportions.

it is only when he throws the axe the sprite looks incomplete. but to solve that we will place the axe in the necessary postion to cover for the missing pixels.

see here:

image.png.5b9645b300afd72f745d130ced384eb5.png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

@R0ger look , As I am the main coder of this project, none-the-less this project is written in CC65 (C language) - so you can probably imagine that this project is very challenging.

I have recruited the 4 best guys I know in the AA world for this project.

Doesn't matter if this project will be finished or not, it is the journey what matters! The dedication that each and every one of us 5 have to this project - is what's important.  And believe me when I say we are enjoying every minute of it. This is already self rewarding, and you can see slowly the results.

Seeing the enthusiasm of most ot this forum members is what keeps us going.

On the other hand, seeing people disrespecfully deminishing our work....Well, that is what blows the wind of our sails.... but will not put us down!

I know that some of the promising game ports were started on A8 and never finished (like turican, ghouls and ghosts and more), I would like to think this port will not be as such and that we actually complete it. 

This is my intension no matter how long that is going to take (hows' 2030 sound? :) ).  Remember that all of us has real life here, work , family, friends, hobbies etc. we are all doing this on our spare time, and for the good of the A8 community as we all share the same love and passion for this retro thing. espeically when you can start seeing some minor results.

This is far from being a hoax........

For most naaah-sayers and their “valid” coding feedbacks esp from no coders this song pops up my mind...

And 

https://youtu.be/nxcJW6bs5os

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Not bad for a Hoax. ;) Btw: Love your animated profile pic :)

I have to admit, that I never played Wonderboy on any system. So this is like a brand new game to me. And what you are doing is looking excellent so far. Keep on coding, that looks like a great addition to the Atari 8 Bit game library.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yaron Nir said:

ok, 

posting progress.

wonderboy physics are completed. 

throw axe completed.

jump high (hold down fire and jump) - completed

wonderboy.xex 6.75 kB · 15 downloads

Nice - I love the gravity effects.  I hate playing games where the player jumps and falls at a static rate.

43 minutes ago, skr said:

Not bad for a Hoax. ;) Btw: Love your animated profile pic :)

I have to admit, that I never played Wonderboy on any system. So this is like a brand new game to me. And what you are doing is looking excellent so far. Keep on coding, that looks like a great addition to the Atari 8 Bit game library.

+1

Just wanted to say, i think this is a really awesome project! I always loved this game and the atari needs a good jump n run. Can't wait to see more of this! :)

BTW, you probably already know, but in the player physics demo, when you hold jump, the sprite gets in slide mode...

Again, thumbs up to you guys!

• Like 2

ok,

some progress.

added status bar. this took a while as i needed to make the DLIs work correct.

so now status bar is colorful with multiplex PMGs as underlays, AND wonder boy still there doing his stuff :) 

oh, i've also disabled the OS so now i have freed up some additional memory for me to be able to work with

enjoy

wonderboy.xex

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

ok, some programming progress, still in sprint tests

wonderboy power life is droping by the minute, and when it reaches 0 wonderboy is dying (same as in arcades he is touching a foul object).

then his life left reduced by 1. when it reaches to 0 the game should exit. but for now it thows an exception i need to fix.

if you want to skip waiting till power life is 0, you can use F1 to speed the emulator.

enjoy

wonderboy.xex

• Like 3