IGNORED

Wonderboy WIP - Favorite Port of All time

Yaron Nir

5 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

How is the game demo? 

Where is a game demo? There still is a one moving object with a scrolling screen demo. Limited playability given.

For the records: A game demo shows all possible and availiable features . Just the level design needs fintune to get a final game. 

you like it?

As I always like to see new stuff for the Atari. 

But you set the limits. And a rather high goal. 

nice graphics ?

Nice graphics. Yes. 

playable?

As far as the game-engine is working, it plays good. 

a never seen before platform game ?

Where is a platform game? 

hard and challenging to develop ?

surely. 

anything positive coming from your end ?

Any final game coming from your end?

Still missing :

Skateboard level

8 way scrolling

several enemies that move independent from the scrolling... 

For now it would be great to have the arcade like tune, that POKEY IS able to reproduce. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, emkay said:

Where is a platform game? 

well, you run to the right and jump on platform - to me that is a platform game :)

2 minutes ago, emkay said:

Any final game coming from your end?

Still missing :

Skateboard level

8 way scrolling

several enemies that move independent from the scrolling... 

For now it would be great to have the arcade like tune, that POKEY IS able to reproduce. 

the game will be worked till final completion, but for now i want to be done with the ice level and some other screens that @José Pereira has updated (like get ready, finish level , game over etc...)

after that we will start working on other levels (maybe water level or forest first)

the game WILL NOT have 8 direction scroll. we are going to add a V-SCROLL so when wonderboy reaches a certain vertical point in screen the screen will start scroll up. this will eliminate what is happening right now that the boy can jump and overlap with the status bar - @popmilo is working on that part. 

the ice level unfortunately, doesn't include the skateboard in the eggs. the only way to go through this level with skateboard is to start the level with already collected skateboard.... but that is definately planned to be supported

next work is moving objects such as bats, snails, etc...

and collecting egg will "fly" the egg as in arcades

so there is still yet to come.

as for sound, not sure what is wrong with the sound. 

i have a perfect ear, and i can assure you all tones are in place.

what exactly you don't like? do you have an example that works better? 

21 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I hope the author puts out an ATR or XEX file. Not all of us have cartridge devices able to load up such large files. :)

unfortunatly, the game is design to be run from a cartridge (1MB cart)

so there won't be any ATR or XEX.

you can use it via altirra emulator

37 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

as for sound, not sure what is wrong with the sound. 

i have a perfect ear, and i can assure you all tones are in place.

what exactly you don't like? do you have an example that works better? 

I don´t refer to any sound (as I for example do not know the original tune) or what PoKey can do or can´t do. I just don´t like the in game music, too.

The tune itself is ok, but those high tones are totally annoying me. And OPTION to switch off the music doesn´t work. So, I just don´t like it. But that´s my problem. ;)

44 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

the game will be worked till final completion, but for now i want to be done with the ice level and some other screens that @José Pereira has updated (like get ready, finish level , game over etc...)

Here's some of them:

1462375298_Betweenlevels_gamestart_Allin2x1.png.78dc5dc92f54210cedd6bd931386f15c.png 602163686_Betweenlevels_Allin2x1.png.7726cd0c52d2aeffed07293336f0651e.png 1336866325_Betweenlevels_areaboss_Allin2x1.png.36c32e2635f15720ce82f73f1a0446cc.png

1074934482_BonusandDollscreen_MISSILESonBonusnumbers_withArcadeflower_Newdoll_Allin2x1.png.5c2965a8516ee616fa12f575aa62f707.png 1520694995_BonusandDollscreen_MISSILESonDollnumbersandhowmuchcollected_withArcadeflower_Newdoll_Allin2x1.png.8b2e146a8a01be6212e9223be45ca525.png

1768255989_GameOver_Allin2x1.png.5b69b2a76987d65e7f7386839a869541.png 442161707_GameCompleted_Allin2x1.png.0a84f2f0debf9cdb69c25c8720b2beb8.png

1700623949_Hi-Scores_Allin2x1_enteryourname.png.8dc82cbab87f32dfd12982c384877764.png 1209767457_Hi-Scores_Allin2x1_allnamesin.png.b34aa18c65632d3c5c9115427f0fc72e.png

Will have some little changes but still more or less around this...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 5

Just now, skr said:

I don´t refer to any sound (as I for example do not know the original tune) or what PoKey can do or can´t do. I just don´t like the in game music, too.

The tune itself is ok, but those high tones are totally annoying me. And OPTION to switch off the music doesn´t work. So, I just don´t like it. But that´s my problem. ;)

in the title screen you can press option to cancel music but it will also cancel the SFX.

run the arcade game and tell me if the main music theme annoys as well.

if yes, nothing i can do as we copied the arcade, if not,  i need to check with @mikerwhat can be done

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

i can say that a score around 1800 is nearly perfect completing this level :) 

Yeah, there were several skulls left.
I died once in clear space... probably time? Not sure.

Definitely I have to improve my score.
I love the music!

• Like 1

VBXE is probably the only integrated upgrade that can to an extent do Ram banking in similar fashion to what a cart can do for Rom or flash.

But it's limited to 512K worth, and the banking registers are different to anything that's cartridge based.

And yeah, game looking good.  Will there be the usual assortment of moving enemies though?

And somewhat agree on the music, it is on the annoying side.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

in the title screen you can press option to cancel music but it will also cancel the SFX.

As said: That doesn´t work.

Edit: Didn´t work at all on the Emulator (Atari800MacX) but works partially on the real hardware. After pressing OPTION three or four times, it worked. But then it was a lucky game again, to turn it back on. Looks like OPTION is not tested constantly and one has to push it at the very right moment. Whatever moment that is.

1 hour ago, skr said:

As said: That doesn´t work.

Edit: Didn´t work at all on the Emulator (Atari800MacX) but works partially on the real hardware. After pressing OPTION three or four times, it worked. But then it was a lucky game again, to turn it back on. Looks like OPTION is not tested constantly and one has to push it at the very right moment. Whatever moment that is.

noted. will fix in future.

in during the title screen when the music plays, if you press option the music should stop and that should be your indication that it worked....