IGNORED

Wonderboy WIP - Favorite Port of All time

Yaron Nir

13 hours ago, emkay said:

Could you please do the world a favor and fix the tune during gameplay? 

It's such a simple tune. Pokey could replay that using 16 Bit resolution.  Particular if a song is that repetitive, the dodging of notes gets more and more disturbing. 

Sloth Reaction GIF

Actually I was refering to arcade version: https://www.retrogames.cc/arcade-games/wonder-boy-deluxe.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think it's a jolly good effort!

Who would have thought that the little Atari could do such a game, but yes!  It looks really good, and certainly beats out the Commodore 64 version of it easily.

Given the limitations of POKEY in 4 channels, using one for sound FX, you've made the music sound as good as it can.  My wife was a big fan of the game on the old Sega Master System too, and she agrees. :)

Now, a request:  Alex Kidd in Miracle World, please ... I might even attempt a POKEY version of that earworm, if you like ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

I think it's a jolly good effort!

Who would have thought that the little Atari could do such a game, but yes!  It looks really good, and certainly beats out the Commodore 64 version of it easily.

Given the limitations of POKEY in 4 channels, using one for sound FX, you've made the music sound as good as it can.  My wife was a big fan of the game on the old Sega Master System too, and she agrees. :)

Now, a request:  Alex Kidd in Miracle World, please ... I might even attempt a POKEY version of that earworm, if you like ;)

Thanks @Synthpopalooza

well Alex kid was an  excellent game from sega back then and I think it is doable for the Atari 8bit as well

BUT after This game will be finished somewhere in 2025 (?) next game is another arcade port childhood dream - kung fu master!

• Like 1

@miker is world-class Atari8 musician and class on his own when it comes to msx conversions, but the music in Wonderboy original and therefore Atari is very specific - to say the least ?

So it would be really nice if there is an option to disable it or to gradually reduce MSX volume down to leaving SFX only - might be useful after some time of playing ?

As for the game itself, looks and works really cool and will fill the gap there still is in good A8 platformers - thanks Guys :)

Edited by Jacques
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

kung fu master!

???

About "my" Wonderboy problems:

I´ve tried hard to reproduce that "megaToDeathJump" but I can´t. So it seems to be an quite random glitch which should be ignorable until one can reproduce it.

Also, the OPTION key is working better on the real hardware now. I guess, I´m just more used to it and just hold it a few moments longer, which is not possible on an emulator.

The music: I´ve checked the original tune and don´t like it, too. But I can confirm that miker did a great job with converting it to the Atari. As your goal surely is to be as close to the original game, there is no need to change the music. But the option to turn off just the music but still have FX would be really nice.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MARIO130XE said:

my 1st try....

Sascha.. I'll beat you. :D :D :D

wonderboy.png

Not as long as you play on an emulator. ;) It plays much better on the real Atari connected to a CRT. And after switching from CX40 to Competition Pro I finally could make this score. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skr said:

???

About "my" Wonderboy problems:

I´ve tried hard to reproduce that "megaToDeathJump" but I can´t. So it seems to be an quite random glitch which should be ignorable until one can reproduce it.

Also, the OPTION key is working better on the real hardware now. I guess, I´m just more used to it and just hold it a few moments longer, which is not possible on an emulator.

The music: I´ve checked the original tune and don´t like it, too. But I can confirm that miker did a great job with converting it to the Atari. As your goal surely is to be as close to the original game, there is no need to change the music. But the option to turn off just the music but still have FX would be really nice.

As I see this is requested,

I might just turn music off and keep SFX on.

need to check how it actually sounds in the game itself 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

Thanks @Synthpopalooza

well Alex kid was an  excellent game from sega back then and I think it is doable for the Atari 8bit as well

BUT after This game will be finished somewhere in 2025 (?) next game is another arcade port childhood dream - kung fu master!

If it helps ... I have 80% of the KFM music done already!  :) let me know

Also, in regards music:

There are two possible reference points:  The SMS version (which this port uses) and the arcade version, which pitches the song down three semitones.  I always liked the arcade music better, but not possible on the Atari POKEY without special AUDCTL settings .. e.g. 15 khz mode for bass and using $2x distortion for the lead sound.

Again, just some thoughts.  I really like what you all have accomplished.  And again ... willing to help on music for KFM.  I have everything finished except for the end of level music and one other piece.  

31 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

And this is my KFM work.  7800 executables but I also have xex versions too.

?

Just so you know miker has sent me sounds for KFM just as a test and it sounds like the arcade ....

can you share the xex? I can’t run the A7800 file you have in the referenced page 

10 hours ago, Yaron Nir said:

Thanks !

maybe  you can do a vlog about it in your channel :)

the game uses special graphics techniques that might worth exploring....

Sorry, I'm not that 8bitguy....  To be fair, I've used this alias since 2000, so I don't think I'm stealing anything, but I do get confused with him from time to time...maybe I should change it.

Edited by 8bitguy1
grammar
  • Like 1

Sounds good.  :)  I like the POKEY ness of mikers version.

Mine uses all square waves, so sounds closer to the arcade maybe, I dunno.  Plus the in game music in my version only takes 2 channels, so you got 2 sfx channels, one of which can be used for samples like Space Harrier maybe.  I will post it all tonight to get your thoughts tho.

• Like 1