IGNORED

Wonderboy WIP - Favorite Port of All time

Yaron Nir

6 minutes ago, popmilo said:

ps. If you know a good way to figure out where things are in cc65 compiled binary I would be glad to hear :)

I used the VICE label file generated that can be loaded to Altirra for debugging and profiling.

cl65 -t atari -Ln game.lbl --listing game.lst --add-source -o game.xex game.c

Not sure if there is a better options. There is also --dbgfile option that gives you information about size of compiled functions, but I never really used it.

I attach also my build file for "Adam Is Me" that was putting stuff into proper segments. The source code was split into files according to segments they should go.

build-atari.bat

That cfg file you shared looks similar to ours... Looking at it, I can see where part of the problem was. My own bias towards pure asm born out of 35 years of coding in it :)

90% of coding I do at workplace is python or plc logic... None of our a8 tools resembles that.

For someone like me .byte, bunch of lda, sta, zp etc looks like perfectly clear code...

Someone else looks at cc65 cfg file and it makes sense, has words, brackets, everything you would need. But for me that looks alien for some reason :)

Yaron will have what to say about that, he knows more about that kind of stuff than me. I'm the guy who needs to write pure asm self modifying code to squeeze every possible cpu cycle...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, popmilo said:

Yaron will have what to say about that, he knows more about that kind of stuff than me. I'm the guy who needs to write pure asm self modifying code to squeeze every possible cpu cycle...

ASM is great if you do small, highly optimized things or stuff you do without break. In this new project I returned to it after a few months break and now I have to "relearn" everything I coded (even when it was heavily commented) by "debugging ASM in my head". Incomparable harder from code maintenance perspective than working with e.g. C code. Also I'm not even trying to understand the parts of the code done by the others who participate (e.g. they use direct hex addresses instead of e.g. WSYNC) and it would take me ages to go through the code referring Atari Memory Map every second line ;-)

Edited by ilmenit
  • Like 1

@ilmenit, we did use dbg file, list file, asm file and of course configuration file with segments.

To do optimized operations that require fast cpu and speed you will need asm if you're coding in CC65 you will need to add these routines as inline asm. 

this kinda misses the purpose of having a high level language.

also DLI, VBI, OS disabling, NMI , IRQ and other atom operations are not handled straight forward in CC65 and you need to embed inline asm commands to support them, a good example can be the stack usage within VBI and DLI.

We also couldn't control the size of code especially after we had the optimization flag enabled.  the tricks in config file did help us a lot

but still that is not full control as we have now in MADs.

so now we are heavy on the ASM and so far so good :) 

Inline asm was one option. Other one could be linking with the compiled ASM files (this was my approach e.g. in His Dark Majesty). CA65 is a powerful assembler, has many features present in MADS: https://cc65.github.io/doc/ca65.html

Don't get me wrong, I also think that for such project as Wonderboy asm is much more appropriate and MADS is the best assembler for A8 ?

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, adam1977 said:

Any updates on this? ?

Real life intervened I'm sorry to say. Some things are much much much more important than coding a retro game.
We've got to a point where lot of gfx is done, couple levels layout prepared, and now it's my turn to code efficient multi-directional scrolling routine.

Because of some serious health issues in my family, I can't focus enough right now, so it will have to wait at least a month or two...

Wonderboy will come ... Maybe not this autumn but it will be done one of these days.

Cheers!
Vladimir

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Hi Vladimir,

I hope everything goes well for your family in the future. I know how it is, I was there in similar situation. Plans change drastically.

PM me when you come close to Slovenia neighbourhood, so we can meet and drink some beers and coffee.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gury said:

Hi Vladimir,

I hope everything goes well for your family in the future. I know how it is, I was there in similar situation. Plans change drastically.

PM me when you come close to Slovenia neighbourhood, so we can meet and drink some beers and coffee.

Thanks @Gury

Yeah, it's one of those things that all of us have to pass, parents get older and fragile.
Will let you know when to chill the beer :)

Cheers!
Vladimir

• Like 1

Sorry to hear Popmilo, I can understand as I've gone through this twice, once with my mother and then with my old friend Bob..

The game, it can wait, as you say, real life is so much more important..

Best wishes from the Irvine household..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently dealing with the care of my 83 year old mom who is fragile and senile for several years now, and the house-hold and my business. I too, know what it's like. Luckily my brother moved here to help a year ago, allowing me to be able to focus more on my business, but issues with mom still pop up and get in the way of the rest of my life, but for all the trouble she can be, I still hope to have her around for a few more years, but hopefully not so long that I'm old and fragile too, which isn't too many years away, most likely, hopefully I've got a couple more decades in me though.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Luckily my brother moved here to help a year ago, allowing me to be able to focus ...

Same here, as you say luckily that makes life at least little better. Getting at least couple hours free per day is all we can hope for, and this way we get it.
As my brother is also nerd from 80s, I'm trying to convince him every day to get back into retro coding, but he's too smart for that ;)

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Nice to hear t's still going, but I hope more that things are more settled at your end @popmilo, real life first, as always...

We always lust after new stuff for the Atari, but in truth we have LOADS to play and use, we have had the machine for over 40yrs, so a wait for software is nothing compared :)

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Wonder Boy on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

2034468544_20221028-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.8d35a90d7399402165a1de044e4b2570.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...